Not again!!!!!!

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I type this again from the side if the hwy again. My clutch is broken. I just had palmer dodge install a slave and master cylinder. Heard a loud pop and no more pedal just dangling. I just got her tuned by Joel here in dunwoody and was running like a champ. Can someone chime in and tell me is it a cable to the master or does the pedal have it's own pump then to the master? If it's just a broken cable easy fix, I hope it was not from something palmer did. That would ****. I think I want a Ferrari now!!!!!!!! Anybody know anybody that wants a viper :( seriously

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
check the top of the pedal where it connects to the master cylinder rod
it may have not been put on all the way or they forgot the clip that holds the pedal on the rod
not sure if that makes sense but look under the dash and make sure everything is connected

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just what Bottlefed said. There's a plastic clip under there (referred to as a "birdcage"). Its plastic and does break. Mine broke in Buckhead one night and it also made a "pop" noise when it went. The good thing is its sold separately, easy to install and is cheap (under $5) if its what you need.

OP
OP
P

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't see. Too dark and but I did feel something to the left that felt loose. Does the rod come all the way up through the floor board?

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about calling the dealership working on your clutch?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't see. Too dark and but I did feel something to the left that felt loose. Does the rod come all the way up through the floor board?

Yes it does. The rod comes through the floorboard and connects to the clutch pedal assembly (on the left where you feel something loose). The birdcage keeps them together. You can slide the rod back on the clutch pedal assy and be ok. Even if it pops off again, you can still shift gears. You just won't be able to start the car without reconnecting it b/c its tied into the neutral safety switch. That night in Buckhead, I had to reconnect mine 3-4 times (it'd pop off and every time I stopped somewhere, I'd reconnect it to get the car started) until I got home and ordered that part.

OP
OP
P

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chad and bottelfed, spot on. Thanks guys. I pulled the remaining plastic clip from the north end of the piston from the master cylinder. I did not get a chance to play around and try to reconnect the rod to the pedal assembly. I did see a revolving metal clip that was attatched to the pedal assembly. I am assuming that is where the plastic clip attaches the rod to the assembly. Would that break as well. Should I go ahead and order that metal clip too or is that permanentlyy attatched to the pedal assembly or other words pressed in from the factory?

OP
OP
P

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great guys found the pics to be very helpful. Unfortunatley wife has me doing house stuff now so the car stays at the shop till tomorrow. Safety wire seems like a good idea.

Man guys is there anything else!!!! Maybe I need to start changing all the parts to prevent roadside visits. My viper has spent more miles on the flatbed than on the open road. Not really. But good god man!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad and bottelfed, spot on. Thanks guys. I pulled the remaining plastic clip from the north end of the piston from the master cylinder. I did not get a chance to play around and try to reconnect the rod to the pedal assembly. I did see a revolving metal clip that was attatched to the pedal assembly. I am assuming that is where the plastic clip attaches the rod to the assembly. Would that break as well. Should I go ahead and order that metal clip too or is that permanentlyy attatched to the pedal assembly or other words pressed in from the factory?

When I replaced mine, all I had to do was replace the birdcage thing ($5 and a 1 min fix). Late last year, I had to replace the clutch pedal bushing (for a separate problem). Tator sent me a few extra parts as well incase I needed to replace them, and one of those parts was a metal c-clip, that we did go ahead and replace b/c mine had broke and fallen off previously. Your C-clip is prob ok if it doesn't feel broken or loose.

Great guys found the pics to be very helpful. Unfortunatley wife has me doing house stuff now so the car stays at the shop till tomorrow. Safety wire seems like a good idea.

Man guys is there anything else!!!! Maybe I need to start changing all the parts to prevent roadside visits. My viper has spent more miles on the flatbed than on the open road. Not really. But good god man!

I can't remember if you already have it or not (I'm 99% sure you do), but you should have a billet aluminum power steering pulley and bracket from Dave's Big Brakes and a power steering cap tie-down kit (brain freeze...can't remember what they're technically called). Those are the only parts that come to my mind as "got to have them or you're in trouble" on Gen 2 Vipers.

Last edited:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
glad to see it was something simple

call Chuck and he'll let you know what you need :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960