Nothing to prove...

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the scene: Having a great day with my family. Beautiful weather, wine-making at the in-laws, super meal, playing with the kids... The Viper ride to Marcus Dairy with my middle son was icing on the cake.

Granny driving along on i84 westbound, I noticed a Z06 (or whatever) Vette. He passes me at about 65 mph then proceeds to slow down behind some slow moving traffic (about 50 mph) in the right lane. So now he's right in front of me. As I pull out to pass them I see my exit is coming up so I try to merge back into the right lane. Who's there in the right lane behind a bit? Mr. Vette of course. I put my turn signal on but he aggressively closes the gap. I touched the gas and accelerated to pull up well in front of the group of cars that he was behind. (Those cars ended up taking the exit before the one I was getting off.)

So who do you think was behind me again? Yep, you guessed it. I was at 53 mph in the right lane at this point and he pulls up in the left lane. He gets on it and about 60 feet ahead of us makes what seems to be a 90 right hand turn directly in front of me. He crashes into the railing and spins 90 further so now he's to my right, facing us and heading backwards. Mr. Vette proceeds to fly over the triple cable guardrail with pieces of plastic flying everywhere. It looked like a frisbee deflected up into the air by the railing. He then disappeared down the embankment as I tried to keep it in sight while I steered clear of debris. I called 911 ASAP. I went back to make sure that EMS could find it since the car was not visible from the road and they had indeed arrived.

As much as it was an irresponsible and a stupid move, (and I would choke him if he didn't crash) I can only hope the driver and passenger were not seriously hurt.

My 11-year old has been traumatized by the experience as you can imagine and we both will not forget the image of the white car careening off the road for a long time.

Dear Viper members, I'm grateful to be able to post this message to you tonight.
I am able to because there's nothing for us to prove. This would have ended up differently if I felt I needed to prove that the 500++ hp under the hood has a little "pep". (Not to mention that there's no chance of banging gears with my kid in the car anyway.) So that's the moral of this story: Don't get sucked in and think before you react behind the wheel because Vipers have nothing to prove.

Thanks, stay safe and good night.
:2tu:
:usa:

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the Vette driver start babbling about that crazy Viper driver that caused the carnage? There are people in this world who have to blame somebody else for their mistakes. I hope he's not one of them.

Bob

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So he did a right turn into the guard rail on purpose? He had the TC turned off and shifted too hard causing him to lose control and crash? I don't understand why he crashed? Oil on the road?

Ted

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So he did a right turn into the guard rail on purpose? He had the TC turned off and shifted too hard causing him to lose control and crash? I don't understand why he crashed? Oil on the road?

Ted

From a person who sees this stuff every day, let me sum it up for you with one simple phrase: HUA.
It is a disease that affects the majority of America's motorists.
:rolleyes:
:usa:

OP
OP
B

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the Vette driver start babbling about that crazy Viper driver that caused the carnage? There are people in this world who have to blame somebody else for their mistakes. I hope he's not one of them.

Bob

I do not know if they are alive, when I went back to make sure that the police found the car I would not pull over because the median was too narrow. My son was already shaken and I was worried about him. When the car shattered after hitting the rail a piece of plastic hit his side of the windshield. No damage but traumatic.

OP
OP
B

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ted

To much power turned to the right with slight **** of the wheel. :rolleyes: He had the TC ON :rolleyes:

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad your O.K. :2tu:
I posted something similar a while back about aggressive drivers in other vehicles when I am cruising in the Viper. :drive:

OP
OP
B

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured this needed a timely response and Frank isn't here to respond right now. I know that he was getting off the exit for i684/White Plains/S coming off i84W (from CT). That's exit 20. The exit before that is 21. So it would have happened between 21 and 20. FYI: the exit #s run in reverse driving on 84 going west.
If you see anything about it, please let us know. I'll check as well.
Thank You!
Sue

P.S. I hope that this guy has the ability to "babble". But SkyBob, you are right.
You would think knuckleheads would at least own up to their mistakes.
:usa: :italy:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reminds me of this lane change..

[media]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1821046/car_accident_police_chases_a_corvette_at_165_mph/[/media]

Glad to read all is ok on your end. Can you imagine if being sucked in an being involved with racing him and if somebody died you were charged with manslaughter or whatever for being involved in a street racing accident (that what they do up here).. It's never a good thing to do.. Hopefully he doesn't cause trouble and fabricate a story.. Did the police ask you any questions since you were in a Viper?

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember first seeing this Vette video on one of those sensationalistic Fox "world's worst drivers" television shows. The announcer is saying 165 miles per hour but how many of you think that is BS? Maybe at one time during the chase the speeds got up that high but while the camera is on him how fast do you think he is really going? Looking at the painted divider lines on the road I'm guessing no more than 80? It's still a dramatic crash into the back of that semi, though.

Bob

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To much power turned to the right with slight **** of the wheel. :rolleyes: He had the TC ON :rolleyes:

How did you know he had TC on? I'm curious.

Either way, assuming he did... I guess there goes yet ANOTHER shining example of how useless TC is with an idiot behind the wheel.

Glad you and you boy are ok. If anything, he's learned at a very early age not to drive like an idiot.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear you and your son are o.k. I had a couple of guys try to race me in my ACR this summer. When I refused to give in the driver then proceeded to give ME the finger. Just goes to show the difference between vett and VIPER guys. Not trying to offend any of those here who own both.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you're okay, your son is okay, and your car is fine too! That is a great lesson for your son and the rest of us!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang