nx or nitrous propane? which 1 is better

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im still waiting for my nx system that i ordered awhile ago, but i see alot of people are running the propane system.

On a 2001 with all the bolt ons which system is better???

POS AND CONS PLEASE.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, this reply is not a sales pitch, but a honest opinion from a user of nitrous oxide injection for over 20 years.

Your Viper has "cast pistons" which can be sensitive to overheating. If a nitrous system runs lean, it runs hot, which can harm your pistons.

Nitrous power and longevity is all about controlling cylinder temperature and detonation. This is done by feeding fuel to the cylinders. Gasoline is heavier than propane, needs to be atomized, and must be distributed through your cross-ram style intake manifold evenly to prevent things like fuel puddling and lean cylinders. Remember that your injectors sit right at each cylinders intake port, your nitrous injectors are up at the throttle bodies and that heavy gasoline has to find its way to each cylinder and get there in the correct amount and on time.

In a nutshell, as long as you keep the power level down to about 550-580, a gasoline supplemented system like the NX kit or our gasoline supplemented kit, will be ok for you. Should you demand more power, you will have reached the limitations of your cars fuel delivery system and WILL run lean..refer to the above.

Remember that these cars are not like your old Chevy Camaro with the 850 Holley and the whining electric pump, big fuel lines and the nitrous system mounted right under the carb. The viper fuel system is a HIGH Pressure, LOW Volume system, nitrous requires a LOW Pressure, HIGH Volume delivery system.

We started using propane with nitrous years ago on Buick Grand Nationals(fastest production car of 1987 and FUEL INJECTED)as we had to overcome the backwards fuel system when nitrous use was being considered. Propane requires no fuel pumps, no electrical or moving parts, burns cool, is higher octane than any racing gas, burns extremely clean and efficient, and is cheap to refill.

I didn't use propane on my Hemi cars as I had a fuel pump that looked like a jarvic 7 heart and a giant fuel regulator manifold and plenty of gasoline to keep the cylinders from leaning out. These modern fuel injected cars are different and in my opinion need a different approach to nitrous fuel supplementation.

You can buy new fuel pumps for the Viper fuel tank to up the amount of fuel available, you can also buy fuel cells for the trunk and fuel cells that are front mount like ours. There are lots of choices, but I consider one thought when i turn on my nitrous switch;

When I pull to the starting line or line up against a competitor on the street, my mind is not on my engine leaning out from fuel starvation or poor distribution. My mind is on the fun that Im about to have from enjoying trouble free, safe, *** kicking performance.

Just my opinion as a serious nitrous user.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trent,
I have both. My quick reply: If you aren't going to do more than bolt-ons, the propane kit generates some serious torque. If you think you'll want to go faster than high 10's, build the motor and get the NX.

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tooth doc 58:
In reply to Steve U.a stock motor with headers and nitrous, propane combo should run some real low tens or high nines

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Should" is a good choice of words. I'll believe it when I see it. Good luck to those who are trying. Really!

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tooth -

Add an Auto tranny and you may be right....but not with just the mods you listed. I would think Tom at BTR is the leader of the pack in regards to Viper/ET/Propane capability. He has not seen a nine yet. (no flame at all Tom)\

Regards,

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When it comes to bench racing,I spank ya'll.TOOFAST NOS looks prostock.I have a 580-600rw kit that gives Butch the Snakes yellow 01 the 1st stock motor in the 10's.Thats as fast as you want to go with a creampuff.Everyone's NOS kit works,we all have impressive dyno sheets,so pay attention to the details like safety,pro install,looks!
Tom,no flame to your propane but that system isn't welcome(in the 01 rule book,unless your cooking dogs for the owner) at NHRA,IHRA drag race tracks.Wet style NOS installed properly will pass tech,yet you'll be shut down after a few passes without a 4-point roll bar.
Go for the 20lb.bottle!

Reaction score
Bench racing sounds good for a little Pre VOI fun. Here's a customers manifold were working on right now that is going to lay the smack down at VOI. Im glad theres going to be a lot of propane there so we can have a good old Texas cookoff. When you boys realize its a losing battle, fire up the grill!!!
You must be registered for see images

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without a doubt BTR and NX have good customer response and both have nitrous kits which can make loads of power. That being said there are other significant differences that make the NX the preferred choice. NX's fogger design and quality of all hardware is better than any nitrous manufacturer out there at the moment. Don't know what BTR uses for hardware or foggers but I am willing to bet that they are not NX.

Here is a simple test for anyone that disagrees. Take a BTR kit with say a 50 jet, and the same with an NX kit and you will make considerably more power with the NX kit with the same amount of nitrous. Equally as important is the fuel foggers which NX has top notch as well.

BTR's propane system is very nice, since propane's 140 or so octane is great for not detonating. And perhaps is the best setup for nitrous in the long run. Maybe BTR needs to make kits with NX components, that should make for 1 serious nitrous kit.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I stated earlier, my response was not sales related and I will not talk any smack on this thread as the original poster had a good question.

To answer TOOFAST, Scott..you are INcorrect about the rules of the NHRA and other sanctioning bodies. I have the 2002 NHRA rule book in front of me as I type this and here is what it says regarding fuels for racing on page 20;

"Racing gasoline, gasoline, alcohol, gasohol, diesel, ehtanol, natural gas, and propane are permitted. Nitromethane prohibited."

The following VERY INTERESTING comments are on the very next paragraph concerning fuel cells..here is what it says;

"All gasoline tanks, lines, pumps, valves, etc must be outside the drivers compartment and within the confines of the frame and/or steel body. All gasoline tanks must be isolated from the drivers compartment by a firewall, completely sealed to prevent any fuel from entering the driver compartment...." The Viper GTS has NO firewall should a rear mount fuel cell be installed.

Please, lets state the facts for the poster and all of those who may be intrested in purchasing one of these two systems.

As for the questions and comments from Russ, thanks for the compliments. We use exclusively NOS brand products and I have tested NX pieces with no better results. NX jets are a different size than NOS jets and are much harder to find for tuning. NOS jets are available at most performance shops and in the toolboxes of tens of thousands of racers. As for the sprayers, we are making over 130 RWHP with a single fogger on nitrous and propane. I have never heard of any other sprayer that makes that kind of power. Again, these are facts.

As for Steve U's 10 second passes "a long time ago" I belive that he ran those times on STOCK TIRES.

I look forward to VOI. We will have a few propane assisted cars there, so don't be afraid to come look us up.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, Albert that direct port set-up looks great. I like the way everything is hidden under the manifold.

I see the powder coating is starting to catch on.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,
You are correct about Steve U. He ran that 10.9 on stock motor and stock tires. It was a very impressive run. I was there.
TOOOFST, I believe it was long before Butch the Snake ever saw 10's. That is why I stated "long time ago" earlier in the thread. No flame intended towards TOOOFST or Tom, just stating what I know.I am not indorsing nor condeming Tom's system as I use a NX 200 shot myself. I believe Tom's system works as intended and so does mine as evident with my 765 RWHP and 950 RWTQ numbers (SAE CORRECTED). I have no doubt your setup is very effective also!

Regards!
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

OP
OP
F

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the feedback. Tom a few people i've been talking to say that propane is not as stable as gas. True??

Has anyone heard of someones viper engine detinating because of nitrous?? (of course you have but what reasons)What other problems are going to occur running a 200 shot of n2o???

I want to get the best system because I dont want problems since my car is a 2001 with ony 5000 miles on it.
Albert when are you going to make the direct port availabe?

Is anyone else going to make a direct port system availabe in a kit?

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YO TOOF,

No flames taken, brother..we are all passionate about our gigs.

BLS made a 10.58 in his creampuff with just headers and nitrous/propane and the video is on my website. His car is a 2001 with Belanger exhaust system and my NOS/Propane injection and purners.

I ran 10.82 at 136mph with just headers, exhaust and nitrous/propane 3 YEARS ago on STOCK PILOTS and the video is on my website. I have made several 10 second passes on stock tires with nothing more than exhaust and nitrous/propane. There are a few passes on my instructional DVD and VHS as well.

I don't have a IHRA rule book as I am only a NHRA(the strictest guidelines) member and I race regularly at NHRA tracks and have not had any problems with the propane injection system during tech inspection. Gainesville raceway is a NHRA owned and operated facility and they had thrown me out on several occasions for no roll bar, but never for nitrous system issues. There is nothing about nitrous and supplemental fuels mixing in the NHRA book. You may have mistaken the text about mixing fuel with nitrous inside of the nitrous tank being prohibited.

Propane injection for the sake of NHRA rules is a supplemental fuel, not a power adder. It can be injected without nitrous should one wish to do so.

Tom

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting discussion....it would seem that the theory behind nitrous "technology" is oft left behind as many have tunnel vision and feel that the only way to more power with an N20 kit is to increase jet size. Which couldn't be further from the truth....and those that have experimented in that manner have found out the hard way through a trail of broken parts and empty wallets.

I honestly feel that nitrous is a crutch for a poorly built engine...and that is a point that many will take issue with I am certain....but the fact remains that making power with nitrous is definitely subject to the law of diminishing returns. Typically, a fairly stock combination will respond in more dramatic fashion to N20 than will a modded car..the more efficient the engine is on its own, the harder it is to make dramatic increases in power with nitrous.

Remember that nitrous is a fuel transfer agent...allowing us to burn more fuel in the cylinder to make more power. We are artificially increasing displacement with the bottle and have to have the fuel to supplement that. SO, a good fuel system is a must for making the most power with a power adder of any type (N20, turbo, SC). The next consideration is cam timing...and a nitrous combo with the stock cam is a waste of time.

To make big power, it takes a combination of components. I have personally seen a 98 GTS, heads and cam car with exhaust, pick up 235 WHP and over 500 WTQ with a custom dual nozzle 150 shot and an upgraded fuel pump (stock lines, stock pump module {modified but still a returnless system}). That car didn't need propane or direct port to achieve those numbers...not saying that variety is bad, just saying that a properly engineered wet system can make numbers equal to or better than the more complicated setups.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is the NX system wet and the NOS/Propane system dry?
Does wet mean the nitrous is delivered with gas and a dry system mixes with gas once it reaches the intake? Just trying to understand. Lots of good info. here.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
J.,

There is no such thing as wet or dry..it is terminology.

DRY = a system where just nitrous goes into the engine without any fuel enrichment. Some "dry" systems have devices that enrich the factory fuel delivery system as part of their operation, but no additional fuel from outside sources is introduced.

WET = a system where a supplemental fuel is introduced into the engine as a method of enhancing available fuel to manage air/fuel ratios when higher power levels of nitrous injection are desired. In this discussion kits are using either gasoline(typical)as a fuel supplement or propane as a fuel supplement.

I hope that this information helps.

Tom

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One last question. Is is safe to say that most feel a supplemental type(wet) system is better for the viper? At most I would use a 150-200 shot and no internal mods to my motor. Just bolt ons.

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally a good performance mod thread.

A long time ago, Jason, I ran a 10.9 with K&N's, tubes, Borla cat-back, Pilot Sports and a BTR propane/NOS system. I guess I've had 2 decent runs.

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
J...a "wet" system is the only way to go, period. The stock Viper fuel system is marginal for a head and cam upgrade, much less trying to make big power with 10 injectors and a big fuel solenoid pulling on the pump at the same time. If you are talking about 150+, in my mind a fuel pump upgrade is a must.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trent,

I don't understand your question about stability. Propane exceeds gasoline in every aspect where a fuel supplement for nitrous oxide injection is concerned.

As for harmful effects of adding 200 hp to your engine, as long as you control detonation 200 hp is 200 hp and wear and tear will not be any different regardless of the method. Understand though, that ANY modification that adds hp to your engine, increases the risk of engine failure..thats racing. Maybe other tuners won't expound on this fact but there are no guarantees of engine reliability when adding 50% more power to the engine takes place. The good news is that we have never had a customer have engine failure or damage from running our systems.

As for direct port injected nitrous, its pluses are; you can tune each cylinder individually for mixture(if you can get to the sprayers)and theoretically you can make more power because you have more sprayers. The negatives of direct port injected nitrous are; leaks are hard to fix, tuning is hard to accomplish because of location of nozzles, system stays hot because of mounting location, and most importantly should a solenoid fail open(which happens)there is no way to stop the flow of nitrous or gasoline into the engine..no way. Immediate engine damage can occur from this. With smooth tube mounted sprayers, a closed throttle body will only allow about 3% of the nitrous mix into the engine whereas the majority will exit to atmosphere through the airbox.

Tom

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The knowledge you guys possess is incredible! Yall are blowing my mind. Thanks for all the help. I may be calling some of you in the near future.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Welch:

To answer TOOFAST, Scott..you are INcorrect about the rules of the NHRA and other sanctioning bodies. I have the 2002 NHRA rule book in front of me as I type this and here is what it says regarding fuels for racing on page 20;

Tommy gun tommy,read the section on NITROUS,prohibiting the mix of NOS with anything other than GASOLINE.This is from the IHRA rule book.The IHRA is less strict.I'll post or fax if you need.
No flame NOS giant man.You've been great to all on this board.

Albert the plummer,Nice.How do ya change jets for tuning?Get it right the first time!!

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Screwed up the quote from TOM.

Attn:GETBIT,No problem on the correction.Who's been 10 sec,with a stock motor(OK headers) in a creampuff?

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HouseofSpeed:
If you are talking about 150+, in my mind a fuel pump upgrade is a must.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kyle,
How's it going? TNT tells me they have had 9.5 ET cars with the stock fuel pump. I bet those were some pretty big fuel jets they were running. I don't disagree with upgrading to increase reliability, though. I've spent some cash on stuff like that too.

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve..things are going well. I can't speak for all of the gurus out there...but if you put a wideband on one of these cars, you will see that the stock pump is woefully inadequate. Injector sizing is also marginal..but that is another story all together.

Not to say that the TNT cars haven't put up some numbers, but whether or not those numbers were generated on the edge of catastrophic failure is never discussed. It all goes back to my comments on upping the jets til the "desired" result is achieved.
Sure, the crutch can always be reinforced, but at what point do you sacrifice reliability for the money-shot at the drag strip???

Out of all of the nitrous assisted Vipers at the Supra shootout back in the Spring, only one car made it deep into the rounds and didn't break something.....that would be Sam S., and his car has my pump upgrade. Something to be said for that I think.

Speaking of, how is Carlos coming with your project? Did you get your pistons yet? Look forward to seeing you back at the track soon.

OP
OP
F

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sheyster, I see you are running the propane system. Any helpful tips you can give me about how it runs, what type of gas,any tricks to make it run better or does Tom have all that info???

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HouseofSpeed:
only one car made it deep into the rounds and didn't break something.....that would be Sam S., and his car has my pump upgrade. Something to be said for that I think.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kyle,
No wonder I did a 3-2 shift and another Viper owner/operator threw a rod during his burnout. We had the wrong fuel pumps!
laugh.gif

PS.....I think all 9 second Vipers are on the verge of coming apart!

Oh, and about my car..............I think the engine had to go back to Arrow.............Yeah, that's it.....back to Arrow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960