Official Thread - SVS Short Throw Shifter Group Buy

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Placed instructions on our website for installing an SVS shifter from underneath on a Gen2 GTS.

The customers Viper had an oil leak from his oil pan. When installing a shifter from underneath most cases won't be as dirty looking as these pictures.

If anyone wants to have a shifter installed at our shop on an SRT we can take pictures and post them the same way.

How to Articles - SVS Shifter install

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems fairly detailed Ron. :)

I think I'd add to go ahead and remove, or at least loosen and lift up, (maybe that's it) the console cover to gain access to the nut at the bottom of the OE isolator. Then try to loosen the shift knob and isolator by loosening the nut at the bottom of the isolator, rather than the one above.

I did try just loosening the jam nut on top of the isolator and it stripped my isolator when installing Detert's short bolt 3yrs ago. Stripped meaning tearing the inside of the isolator loose from it's glued fastening to the shift shaft, leaving some isolator rubber still on the shaft.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Placed instructions on our website for installing an SVS shifter from underneath on a Gen2 GTS.

The customers Viper had an oil leak from his oil pan. When installing a shifter from underneath most cases won't be as dirty looking as these pictures.

If anyone wants to have a shifter installed at our shop on an SRT we can take pictures and post them the same way.

How to Articles - SVS Shifter install

Good instructions, Ron. And yes, that car is just filthy on the bottom. Not anymore :)

Adam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed mine the only thing that I would suggest is that maybe you could print out a pattern for drilling the holes this would be easy to make and would keep people from messing up there cars. The rest is self explanatory it took me about an hour to install from the top.

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems fairly detailed Ron. :)

I think I'd add to go ahead and remove, or at least loosen and lift up, (maybe that's it) the console cover to gain access to the nut at the bottom of the OE isolator. Then try to loosen the shift knob and isolator by loosening the nut at the bottom of the isolator, rather than the one above.

I did try just loosening the jam nut on top of the isolator and it stripped my isolator when installing Detert's short bolt 3yrs ago. Stripped meaning tearing the inside of the isolator loose from it's glued fastening to the shift shaft, leaving some isolator rubber still on the shaft.

I agree if you can't loosen it from above.

Can you loosen the isolator from the top without drilling and removing the rubber boot?

If you can get leverage on the bottom nut of the isolator when you're underneath, without lowering the trans, then you'll be able to get the shifter removed without having to lower the trans. It's very tight and difficult to do.

I tried to mention in the instructions, you'll need to swiftly and quickly with good force crack the isolator loose using the lock nut from above. It does make it easier if you can do it.

If it strips then you either need to try from below or lower the trans mount.

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I'm going at it with jack stands, do I need all 4 corners on stands or just the front?

You might want to add that the trans mount bolts should be torqued to 60 ft-lb (that's what it said in my 99 manual).

Thanks for the instructions!

Alex

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been 3yrs since I did the one on my FE, but as I remember, if you remove all the console screws (where the parking brake is) the console cover can be tilted up enough (with the parking brake boot going inside out in the process?) to get at the bottom nut under the isolator. I bought a crow foot wrench or something like that to go over that nut back then.

Like I said, it's been awhile. If I've got some of this info wrong-someone correct me.

I know I did have access to that bottom nut without doing any drilling or removing the rubber boot-that much I remember... :bonker:

BADMOFO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ron,

Can we start another group buy on half and drive shaft safety loops for the holiday season?

Thanks........ :2tu:

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wouldn't removing the upper boot make access to the factory shift shaft easier?
On my '97 the jam nut isn't visible like the round ball knob.

Just thinking outloud.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,
Upon starting this project does it matter what gear the transmission was left in?

Should a small amount of that red lube be placed on the ball end of the shifter prior to installation?

Thanks

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,
Upon starting this project does it matter what gear the transmission was left in?

Should a small amount of that red lube be placed on the ball end of the shifter prior to installation?

Thanks

The guy doing the install said Neutral was important.

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron
Any update on the remaining shifters?

Sorry for the added delay. Our builder waited on parts to be heat treated. I'm picking up the shifters tomorrow for the list of customers already paid. If they don't ship tomorrow they'll definitely ship Thursday.

Bloose (both bolts/ $245+$10 s/h total $255) Paid Paypal/Shipping 1-2 weeks
Phoenix 1 (1” lower/ $230+$10 s/h total $240) Paid Credit Card/Shipping 1-2 weeks
Steve T (both bolts/ $245+$10 s/h total $255) Paid Paypal/Shipping 1-2 weeks
Copperhead245 (both bolts/ $245+$10 s/h total $255) Paid Paypal/Shipping 1-2 weeks
97 GTS BL/WH (both bolts/ $245+$10 s/h total $255) Paid Paypal/Shipping 1-2 weeks
cobraman484 (both bolts/ $245+$10 s/h total $255) Paid Credit Card/Shipping 1-2 weeks
aperugini (both bolts/ $245+$10 s/h total $255) Paid Credit Card/Shipping 1-2 weeks
FE 065 (both bolts/ $245+$10 s/h total $255) Paid Credit Card/Shipping 1-2 weeks
Randy S (both bolts/ $245+$10 s/h total $255) Paid Credit Card/Shipping 1-2 weeks

I will make another post tomorrow after I find out exactly what pieces/processes our builder has left to make for the remaining group buy customers on this list:

Lethal GTS
Angleiron (1” lower/ $230+$10 s/h total $240)
Da1cop (1” lower/ $230+$10 s/h total $240)
Got a Viper (1” lower)
Captainecho (both bolts)
Erdeskymike
Vmeszaros

Thank you for your patience

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad news and Good news

Bad news - I will only be sending out 5 shifters tomorrow.

I will be sending out the 5 shifters tomorrow to the following:

97 GTS BL/WH (both bolts/ $245+$10 s/h total $255) Paid Paypal/Shipping 1-2 weeks
cobraman484 (both bolts/ $245+$10 s/h total $255) Paid Credit Card/Shipping 1-2 weeks
aperugini (both bolts/ $245+$10 s/h total $255) Paid Credit Card/Shipping 1-2 weeks
FE 065 (both bolts/ $245+$10 s/h total $255) Paid Credit Card/Shipping 1-2 weeks
Randy S (both bolts/ $245+$10 s/h total $255) Paid Credit Card/Shipping 1-2 weeks

I will make it up to the customers that have paid for their shifters that won’t be shipped until the end of next week:

Phoenix 1 (1” lower/ $230+$10 s/h total $240) Paid Credit Card/Shipping 1-2 weeks
Copperhead245 (both bolts/ $245+$10 s/h total $255) Paid Paypal/Shipping 1-2

The Good News – We will have 27 more shifters by the end of next week. This will deplete the entire inventory of parts that we have to make the SVS shifters. I don’t want to take anybody’s payments until I have ALL the shifters in my hands. Once I get them I’ll first send out shifters to the remaining customers that have already paid.

After that we’ll have 23 shifters left to hopefully blow out before Christmas.

I will make a post as soon as I get them.

Once again I’m sorry for the delay and will make it up to those who already paid and are expecting their shifters.

tmr4479

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey i want one too, any chance ill get one before xmas? I just ordered a roe blower. eibachs and lowering caps, I really need a shifter too!!!

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ron, what's the status - did you ship mine yet? Can you PM me as to what you mean by "I will make it up to the customers that have paid for their shifters that won’t be shipped until the end of next week"..

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ron, what's the status - did you ship mine yet? Can you PM me as to what you mean by "I will make it up to the customers that have paid for their shifters that won’t be shipped until the end of next week"..

Sorry for the wait. I have posted when the shifters would be in my hands based on what our builder has told me. He said they would be finished a week ago. I've been pressuring him all week and he has now told me that I should have them on Monday.

The following customers will receive a discount on their shifters:

Copperhead245 (both bolts/ $245+$10 s/h total $255) Paid Paypal/Shipping 1-2

I will give you the discount after I receive the remaining shifters and send them out.

This is why I haven’t taken any more orders until I see the shifters in my hands.

As soon as I get the last batch of shifters I will post that they’re ready to purchase and ship.

Hopefully Monday/Tuesday and have them to everyone before Christmas

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to put mine in tomorrow, any tips from the guys that have already done it?

1. Put car in nuetral right?

2. Gasket sealer??? Hi temp silicone or just non hardening??

3. Which is the front & rear of shifter? I noticed one was narrower?

4. Was it hard to get in or know if shifter was in receiver?

5. Do you lubricate the end of the shifter going into the receiver??

Any other tips appreciated

Thanks
Andy

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to put mine in tomorrow, any tips from the guys that have already done it?

1. Put car in nuetral right? YES.

2. Gasket sealer??? Hi temp silicone or just non hardening?? I used Permatex Copper Gasket Sealer since I already had it laying around from my exhaust install.

3. Which is the front & rear of shifter? I noticed one was narrower? If you look at the SVS install instructions, you'll see the that shift arm on the shifter hangs left (drivers side) when properly installed.

4. Was it hard to get in or know if shifter was in receiver? Not hard to get it in out other than that bolt I mentioned below.

5. Do you lubricate the end of the shifter going into the receiver?? I didn't. I did use anti-seize compound on the bolts used to mount the shifter to the transmission.

Any other tips appreciated. Wear gloves, you'll cut up the back of your hands working up in the transmission tunnel.

Thanks
Andy

Just got done with my install. The SVS instructions were a big help. The most difficult part was removing and installing the shift bolt by the passenger side front. Very tight fit up in there and my hands are huge. I took my time with that bolt. Overall, it took about 2 hours. Would've taken me 1/2 hour were it not for the &*$(#)*** bolt. :curse: I highly recommend lowering the transmission as it will make it MUCH easier to install. I already had the car on jack stands working on my exhaust. I tried answering your questions above. Have fun.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score

1. Put car in nuetral right?

2. Gasket sealer??? Hi temp silicone or just non hardening??

3. Which is the front & rear of shifter? I noticed one was narrower?

4. Was it hard to get in or know if shifter was in receiver?

5. Do you lubricate the end of the shifter going into the receiver??

Any other tips appreciated

Thanks
Andy

This should help you....

http://www.svspower.com/article_detail.aspx?id=11

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950