oil changing for winter

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, sooner or later the snow is going to start flying. I only put about 1,000 miles or so on my car this year. I know a lot of people here say they don't change their oil very often. Is it still worth the money to get the oil changed before storing it? Thanks!

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do the opposite. I changed my oil after storage. I pushed it out of the garage and jacked it up. The reason is that the old oil has had months to leak to the oil pan and I got the best possible drain. Also there is no point in letting new oil sit in the pan for months getting mixed with water and contaminants. Enjoy it as much as possible before winter because by the time winter is over I am usually getting the shakes to drive it.

OP
OP
L

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I remember reading to do it BEFORE due to old oil being acidic and you don't want that sitting compared to fresh oil.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. The only thing worth doing is driving it long enough to get it hot enough to boil off the water and fuel that might be in it. For oil, this means at least 45 minutes of driving in 45F or higher ambient temperature.

Not to poke fun at you, but has anyone heard of a Viper engine failure due to "old" oil? Just curious.

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was,as well,under the impression one should change the oil before storing the vehicle.I'm quite sure the owner's manual also states to change the oil before storage.I thought oil tends to accumulate byproducts as you drive and one does not want these sitting in the car for extended periods.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No expert, but it always made more sense to change the oil after storage. Almost all of the "old" oil (which after 1-3k miles is hardly "old") is basically just sitting in the bottom of the oil pan. Why would it hurt anything? Even when you change the oil, the "old" oil is what's lining the cylinder walls (and everything else), not the fresh stuff you just dumped in, at least until you start it up. Also, I would think that the possibility of condensation would indicate that it would make more sense to change the oil after storage.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not driving over the winter is not same as long term storage.

Worried about a few oil contaminants sitting in the oil? What if you keep driving and keep adding more contaminants? Adding more and doing so in a warm environment (driving) is worse than not adding and a colder environment (winter).

C'mon guys, were obsessing here. Modern oil is more than good enough to sit for a winter.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those that are new or semi-new to this board(VCA), Tom is the expert of all fluids that can be used in our cars :2tu:

Thanks Mike! Good to know as I have wondered the same thing as winter is coming. :mad: Good to know where sound advice is coming from!

All hail resident fluid god! :D:rolaugh:

Robert

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
unless it's 1000 track miles (!!er!!) & over a year at that mileage, it ain't old. 2002 manual states replace before 90+ day storage. and fill the fuel tank full, etc, etc. d'no why i read it - can't keep my hands off my viper for more than a fortnight at a time...!

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
unless it's 1000 track miles (!!er!!) & over a year at that mileage, it ain't old. 2002 manual states replace before 90+ day storage. and fill the fuel tank full, etc, etc. d'no why i read it - can't keep my hands off my viper for more than a fortnight at a time...!

Yeah, know what you mean about hands on. Sigh.

You've got a 65 Sunbeam Tiger! Wow.

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, know what you mean about hands on. Sigh.

You've got a 65 Sunbeam Tiger! Wow.

;) It's all we have left of my old man (gives you a bit of an idea of what he was like :D
Restored 8 years ago.
Gets an oil change and about 1000miles use/yr.
You must be registered for see images attach

Have you had a Tiger before?

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>C'mon guys, were obsessing here. Modern oil is more than good enough to sit for a winter.<<<

Yep. And starting in spring with new fluid is the way to go - for me.

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
about $165 for 8 litres here (uk) (nb. haven't had to put in 10litres on any change yet...)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is $20.63 per liter. Or litre. Or quart (close enough.)

Must be taxes - cost of base oil and additives is not different around the world. Hmm....

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must be taxes - cost of base oil and additives is not different around the world. Hmm....

probably right bud. uk fuel prices @ pump is around 55% tax in more than form...

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not just Taxes its Shipping too, We have to import Mobil 10/30 from you guys as its not sold in UK stores :( As far as im aware there there is only one American car spares company in the UK who has just started to market this product. He is also advertising it on eBay UK. + Postage!!!! It aint cheap over here :(

OP
OP
L

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So If I got my oil changed last October before the winter, and I've probably only put on 500 miles or so in the past year. Should I still get it done before winter hits just due to it being a year, or should I wait due to miles being so low.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So If I got my oil changed last October before the winter, and I've probably only put on 500 miles or so in the past year. Should I still get it done before winter hits just due to it being a year, or should I wait due to miles being so low.

You can wait.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang