Oil pan bolts $25 for one. Serious!

benson8708

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Please tell me there is an alternative oil pan bolt for my 1995 viper. Dodge told me 25 dollars a piece.

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine came from the factory with 2 missing. No leaks and very clean holes. I was very surprised no mechanic or service person ever noticed but that's beside the point. I took one out and went to the auto parts and matched them up. A couple of bucks and you can't tell the difference. :usa:

OP
OP
B

benson8708

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is what $1000.oo worth of bolts look like at the dodge dealership! This should be illegal. Nothing special about these bolts that oil leak out of and that get loose all the time!:omg:
You must be registered for see images

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeeezus H Krist !?!? $25 for an oil pan bolt? Charging prices like that means that person doesn't want any business.

Here's a lesson for ya....

Oil pan bolts don't need any strenght. All they do is hold up a lightweight oil pan. In fact, their torque levels are reduced so as not to crush the gasket and develop oil leaks.

You could use a soft grade hardware-store stove bolt and it wouldn't make a difference to your motor's oil pan.

Go to Home Depot, get a decent looking bolt for 2 cents each and they'll work just fine.

As a side note to this. I've often seen factory parts so highly priced I could actually get off cheaper by going to a machinist and having the part made from billet stock.

Next time you come accross an over-priced part, I suggest you go to a machinist and have him price the part at his cost to make it. I think you might be surprised just how cheap it really is AND you'll have a better looking and stronger part!

OP
OP
B

benson8708

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Picked up a sackof bolts and washes at smith auto and the grand total was 53 cents. I am going to go to the dealership and tell them I will sell them bolts at half their cost and they will make a fortune. Lol. Thanks for your advise now I will get it on tomorrow and hope no leaks.
Mike

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$25 for a bolt from a dealer. :mad: They'll probably want another $25 just to screw it in. Sounds like they're really putting the screws to you when all you want is a couple of bolts.
:rolleyes:

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my hardware secret your local catipillar dealer. They have every nut, bolt & piece of hardware you can imagine. All grade 8, choice of platings, I even found a metric left handed thread for my ferrary clutch adjustment, $199 from ferrari, under 8$ from them. They can also make hoses from any lenght & pressure.

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fastenal has what you need and is normally local.

I just picked up U nuts and 1/4-20 body bolts for the battery box and fascia. I only required 2 of each and had to by a box of 50 for $15 a box, so if anybody needs any I have 48 of each left and Ill only charge $3 a piece :)

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the drain plug bolt is around that but $25 for the other 30 that hold the pan is ridiculous. You sure they didn't quote you for the drain plug bolt?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the others said, you don't need exactly what the OEM installed. I just looked at Fastenal and McMaster Carr and they don't stock it. The OEM bolt has the washer captured under the head probably to make it easier to install on the assembly line. No reason that you need that.

Maybe it was $25 for the full set of bolts and they interpreted their computer wrong?

SuperBird4404BBL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they are 1/4x20, try any dealer that knows the MoPar Performance catalog, part number P4120613, the bolts fit all A, B and RB motors, they should be around $ 10.95 for a set. I think there are 20 in a set.

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or call any of the vendors on the boards to confirm, they may have some spare sitting around and only want the cost of shipping. My only reason for mentioning Fastenal is that I presume the cost of shipping a single bolt would actually be more than its worth unless they are truly 25 each. Dave for you nuts and bolts are always free.