Oil Pan Magnet

Looki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all.

I have a 2000 acr and had it in for its first oil change today. There was a small amount of metal shavings on the magnet. Is this normal.

Thanks

looki

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
should look like grafite dust,anything else is probably not to healthy

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first oil change in 8 years....are you sure that there was not a piston attached to the magnet....

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't you have issues with black smoke coming out of the exhaust not too long ago?

OP
OP
L

Looki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all

This is the cars first oil change , with ME as the owner....

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should choose your titles more carefully.

I saw "oil pan magnet" and assumed ebay or late night TV order in the next ten minutes and we'll send you 2 for the price of one.

You should have a least said "oil drain plug magnet" with maybe even some descriptive words tacked on the end like "dirty" or "shavings."

Nonetheless, early morning boredom got me here.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been told: "if the particles reduce to graphite -ike dust when you remove them from the magnet with your fingers, its OK. If you can feel any particles then your motor may be doing some inappropriate internal self-machining".

Because of the way the dust "grows" from the magnet, it tends to look like alot of particles when you first take the drain plug out. Once you remove the clod with a thumb anf forefinger, it reduces to a very small amount of stuff.....that hopefully feels like a graphite emulsion and not sand!

Tom the petrochemical guru may weigh in with more.....

OP
OP
L

Looki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank for the responses guys. Even the smart ask A$$ ones...

The material on the magnet was almost a paste which is what I suspect you all are calling dust.

I have owned the car for a few months now , but have only put 400 --500 miles on the clock before taking it in for a oil change. The oil that came out was pretty dark and I have know idea how long it had been in the car.
I purchased the car from Bernie at Bj motors and I believe he said that he had the car for over a year.

Looki

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4