OK enough of the Vette mistakes

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one ever confuses my gen 2 rt/10 for a vette.

And chevy did copy the viper.

Bring back the curves and you won't be mistaken for a vette.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll admit that from a distance from the side I still get fooled that an SRT-10 is a Vette.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Dodge came out with the body style and Chevrolet COPIED it!

97GTS got it wrong. People should be mistaking the the 'vette for a viper! The only problem is that there are a million meatheads driving around in corvettes that look similar to vipers, and only a few people driving around in the real deal.

I was at my first "show and shine" this weekend at the Dodge dealer who sold me my viper, and of 60 cars, mine was the ony viper. The owner of the dealership thanked me for bringing the car. He said very few people ever see vipers except in a dealership before they are sold.

Until Chevrolet changes the corvette body style, it's just a Viper "wannabe" bellybutton car.

That's that, and that's what I tell people.

A proud YELLOW SRT/10 owner.

How exactly did I "get it wrong?". Regardless of what anyone else thinks, including you, I STILL get confused when seeing the car from the side. It IS my confusion, so how is that wrong? Post pics of the cars FROM THE SIDE AND FROM A DISTANCE and the similarities are more pronounced.

Doesn't really matter who copied who, they still look similar. The GTS and RT/10 look nothing like a vette.

Ron

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most NonCar people don't even know what a Viper is or don't remember that they even made them. What I get a lot of after people see the badging on my 98 "Viper GTS" is ..."Do they still make the Viper ?". Just yesterday at a Cruise Night a random like 60 something lady asked "Is that a Corvette ?" Then she looked more closely after I told her it was a Dodge Viper and said... "Oh I see... it only has two seats like a Corvette"

Of course this was another Cruise night run by a Corvette Club so I had to park out in the boonies by a 2009 SRT8 Challenger, a CTSV and a 2001 SS Camaro because only newer Corvettes are allowed in the main area. LOL

What matters most to me is that I know I'm driving a Viper along with all of the other owners of cars with 10 or more cylinders and 8 or more litres and every time I look at it... it looks better than the last time to me...

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had no less than three different people refer to my Z06 as a Viper last week during Hotrod Power Tour. No joke. Seems the ignorance flows both directions. Some people just do not know cars.

Tony

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm biased for sure but your goregeous SB GTS isn't make his Noble look any better when you guys are hangin together.

I had a few people calling my GTS a Vette . Doesn't bother me.
My friend do get annoyed though when people call his Noble M400 a Lotus Elise :rolaugh:

You must be registered for see images

ChoklatMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Ron;

I meant no offence. What I intended to say was that you should have wrote that the vette looked like a viper, and not the other way around, that's all.

I too have had people look at my car and say "nice corvette", and would say that from the front there are similarities to those who don't know the cars, and from the side, if you have the Gen III (which I do) they look even more similar.

However, as a viper owner I feel obligated to clarify that one is the real thing, and the other is a copy. The day that Chevrolet make a body style that doesn't copy some other manufacturer's handiwork, I'll be happy to extoll the virtues of their product. Until then, as far as I'm concerned it's just another kit car made to look like the original viper - a kit car made by a large manufacturer.

That's just my opinion, and CERTAINLY NO OFFENCE INTENDED TO OTHER VIPER OWNERS IN THIS FORUM!!

Cheers and happy driving.
Brad.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a few of the "nice Vette" comments about my silver SRT in the past. After adding the stripes, NOBODY has confused it for Vette. I have had some people ask what it was, but at least they don't think it's a Vette anymore!

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got a few of the "nice Vette" comments about my silver SRT in the past. After adding the stripes, NOBODY has confused it for Vette. I have had some people ask what it was, but at least they don't think it's a Vette anymore!

It couldn't be more obvious with the stripes , yet people still refer to a Vette sometimes whenever I stop :rolaugh:

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a few people calling my GTS a Vette . Doesn't bother me.
My friend do get annoyed though when people call his Noble M400 a Lotus Elise :rolaugh:

They do look very similar... My brother has an Elise.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They do look very similar... My brother has an Elise.
You have to put them side by side. Totally different dimensions ;)

Front and back doesn't look anyhting like an Elise or Exige.

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never had this issue. I had people coming up to me asking what kind of car is it, it was called Ferrari once or twice, but never vette.

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also unfortunately get the "Vette" comment about 2 times per year. And occasionally get the signature "Vette" waive from other Vette drivers as they pass me on the street.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you dont want to hear that anymore just sell it and buy a Gen 1 or 2 Viper and your dreams will come true ;)

OK, I've had a lot of people say nice vette, which is fine, I mean I like the vette, it's all good, I even had a vetter guy walk over at a gas station & say 'nice Z06' and my top was down ... awkward. But, geesh I had 6 peeps this weekend say nice vette, or man I'll trade you my truck for that sweet vette, or wow that's the coolest vette I've seen did you do something to it, or (my favorite was) what is that? A Viper. Oh, is that the new super vette that's out? (face palm) So even the ZR1 is more known by a chick at a 7-eleven than what a viper is, really??

It really doesn't bother me, actually I can't keep from laughing everytime now, but I swear I want to get a windshield banner that reads "Viper, no, not a vette, I mean I like 'em, but that's not what this is, it's a Dodge Viper, so please don't ask, and yes it's Badass" (of course the print would need to be really small I guess) :lmao:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had this happen a few times..but before I can even saying anything a bystander will say...hell no man thats a viper...those cost twice as much as a vettte! I just politely smile

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive recieved the vette wave a few times until they realize its a viper their hand quickly goes down but i wave to them anyway. Then there was the one time when my dad and my brother where in front of me in their vettes and they got waved at by a passing by vette and when he passed me i got the one finger salute. I just smiled and figured he was trying to tell me my viper was # 1 which i already knew anyway. lol :D

I also unfortunately get the "Vette" comment about 2 times per year. And occasionally get the signature "Vette" waive from other Vette drivers as they pass me on the street.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ron;

I meant no offence. What I intended to say was that you should have wrote that the vette looked like a viper, and not the other way around, that's all.

I too have had people look at my car and say "nice corvette", and would say that from the front there are similarities to those who don't know the cars, and from the side, if you have the Gen III (which I do) they look even more similar.

However, as a viper owner I feel obligated to clarify that one is the real thing, and the other is a copy. The day that Chevrolet make a body style that doesn't copy some other manufacturer's handiwork, I'll be happy to extoll the virtues of their product. Until then, as far as I'm concerned it's just another kit car made to look like the original viper - a kit car made by a large manufacturer.

That's just my opinion, and CERTAINLY NO OFFENCE INTENDED TO OTHER VIPER OWNERS IN THIS FORUM!!

Cheers and happy driving.
Brad.

No offense taken. If you want to see some other cars with similarities, look for instance at the McLaren F1 from the side. Notice the slant at the front of the door. Look familiar?

The truth is that the Viper did it before the Vette. Agreed. Hell, even the GTS stole from the Daytona and Ferrari.

Ron

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got no problem with somebody confusing my GTS with a Cobra Coupe or a Ferrari GTO... You could argue that the GTS combines many of the best elements of both and looks better... I can't see anybody trying to deny the similarities... But that type of mix-up won't be made by the people that think a Viper is a Vette.

No offense taken. If you want to see some other cars with similarities, look for instance at the McLaren F1 from the side. Notice the slant at the front of the door. Look familiar?

The truth is that the Viper did it before the Vette. Agreed. Hell, even the GTS stole from the Daytona and Ferrari.

Ron

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get how pwople can think a c6Z06 and srt10 look a lil alike from the front..

They have the same hood likes and fender flares and similar head lights as well as the center nostril..

But from the profile????

how could you really confuse the profile of a vert or coupe with a vette???

I mean they look nothing alike what so ever..One has a side exhaust for crying out loud...

as well the rear. the vette has the 20 year old wedged cheese grader look that really looks like they took a band saw and cut a angled lined right were the rear end used to be and added 4 lil circles..

The srt10 vert or coupe again look nothing like this..

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, my favorite was a guy in a vette at a gas station walking over & asking, "how do you like the Z06?". And I was in my SRT/10, um, with the top down. For a split second you want to say, "dude, seriously, just give me your keys & walk home, you don't deserve to own a vette, and buy a magazine, and read it." But just a split second, not everyone is a real enthusiast by our definition and I cut everyone a break, a compliment is a compliment, even if they call it by the wrong name.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, my favorite was a guy in a vette at a gas station walking over & asking, "how do you like the Z06?". And I was in my SRT/10, um, with the top down. For a split second you want to say, "dude, seriously, just give me your keys & walk home, you don't deserve to own a vette, and buy a magazine, and read it." But just a split second, not everyone is a real enthusiast by our definition and I cut everyone a break, a compliment is a compliment, even if they call it by the wrong name.

Maybe he was asking you about his car. ;) :lmao:

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the real confusion comes from the fact that there was very little publicity of Gen III Vipers, so a majority of people think that after Gen IIs, the Viper died. I find a lot of people (even car people) who when I say I'm looking for an 03-06 Viper they say..."they still make those?".

So I don't think neccessarily the Vette/Viper are THAT similar...just that most people don't know what else to call it.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My girlfriend saw a Viper once and thought it was a Ferrari.

My theory would be that -
1st - if a Viper is solid red sans stripes it could be interpreted as a Ferrari, especially if it was driving by fast and had aftermarket exhaust -as the V10 does not sound like a V8 but more like a Euro exotic. And most people think of a bright shiny red low race car as a ferrari.
2nd - I know the difference between vettes and vipers - however, a solid black Viper whizzing by in traffic could definitely be mistaken for a vette, especially from the side or front. The black has an ability to hide many of the subtle details differentiating a Viper from a vette.
3rd - To some people who only have ever seen the mystical Viper in ads, or maybe once in real life at a show - than its the stripes that cue them to it being a Viper. Without stripes they may assume its NOT a Viper

Just thinkin' out loud here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang