Ometer 8243 Factory Fit NAV/DVD Replacement Stereo Headunit.

Rolling Thunder

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure what it is, but pretty sure it is internal to unit. Let me know what you find. Seller responded and mentioned the speaker wire polarity issue. Told seller that is not it. We will see what, if anything, seller will do to correct.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same here...put the OEM back and works perfect so not the speakers, subwoofer or system. Sent another e-mail to the seller...we'll see..... I may have to dispute the charge with my credit card company..not sure how that works on an overseas charge.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what time does everyone get up in China? Still no response, since Saturday..... I guess it is now Tuesday in China? Going for a jog then I am coming back and gonna check again..... GRRRRRRRRRR.....so I really got the only one that bit the dust?

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Roughly 12 hour difference between EST and China. We do a lot of conference calls with them. 8PM our time is 8AM their time, catch them as they are starting their workday. 12 hours ahead of us.

Rolling Thunder

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have had a few responses so far, but just asking me about wiring connections and whether I reset the unit. I told them all connections are correct, I did reset, and the unit worked for two days before quitting. Told them that I want a replacement. No response to that yet.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I told them I wanted a replacement and he said to get it fixed by a local technician that I would have to pay for shipping back and forth to China for free repair.......... I said WHAT??

Rolling Thunder

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seller told me that I can ship back to them and they will replace and pay shipment back. Going to give it this one last try before I just give up. Looks like shipping via USPS is relatively inexpensive so worth a shot.

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was really excited about this option, looks like I need to go with a trusted brand

Rolling Thunder

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad it is working for many. I just sold my Viper so I no longer need the radio. I plan on still sending it to China and getting a replacement so I can try to recoup some of my money. If anyone is interested in purchasing the replacement I get at a big discount, PM me.

billjr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad it is working for many. I just sold my Viper so I no longer need the radio. I plan on still sending it to China and getting a replacement so I can try to recoup some of my money. If anyone is interested in purchasing the replacement I get at a big discount, PM me.

PM sent

Bill P

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had same experience as RT - only on mine audio would not come back no matter what after 2 days of VERY light use capped by a few hours of audio cutting out after a few minutes. confirmed its not amp/car by putting factory radio back in. i tried resetting, double checking all the wires/polarity and even replacing HU fuse.

in addition: UI is terrible, software is terrible, sound is far worse than stock unit, at least the radio.

this is a waste of money and 2 evenings of my time as far as I'm concerned. I am going to put this in the garbage and cut my losses.

Rolling Thunder

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just found out it is about $50 to send back to China, so don't really want to pay to ship it. If someone is handy with electronics and wants to take a shot at getting the audio to quit cutting on and off, shoot me a PM with an offer. I would rather get something for it than just have it sit on a shelf.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not ever been able to get a replacement... and my credit card company will not dispute the charge unless I get it "checked out" by a repair person....who the heck repairs car radios nowadays???? Sounds like I am SOL and just ate $350...........learned a $350 lesson I guess......... are all the other radios holding up?

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not ever been able to get a replacement... and my credit card company will not dispute the charge unless I get it "checked out" by a repair person....who the heck repairs car radios nowadays???? Sounds like I am SOL and just ate $350...........learned a $350 lesson I guess......... are all the other radios holding up?

Mine still works great. I think I was the first to do this, so I feel bad that mine had no issues.

I'm not sure how official the repair place needs to be but I have a fully staffed electronics lab with electrical engineers and technicians at work, I'd be glad to throw it on the bench and see what happens. Can't be worse than where you stand now.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is still working fine. Only issue is the clock at the very top of the display screen is in 24hr setting. I've tried every thing to change it and it still defaults back to this. Oh well, very minor issue.

Orac69

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A mixed bag from me in a Gen 3 Coupe...

1. I cant get a GPS reception at all. It says the receiver is connected, but I only get 3 satellite dots, and no signal lock. Hence Navigation doesnt work = useless.

**NOTE** In the iGo 8 Nav app, you can go to settings, GPS and adjust the port and baud rate (which ive done to try every combination) - no need to remove the microSD card and edit the sys.txt file on a computer..

2. My internal microphone doesnt work - at all. Phone calls = useless.

3. All my speakers hiss badly if I dont have music playing its unbearable - e.g. just with the unit sat at the Bluetooth / Nav screen.

I had to swap the out of phase wires around.

My factory menu's were 2222222 (to change logo) and 8888888 (for handbrake / other settings)

I didnt need to trim the dash at all.

Bluetooth connects fine, all the time, Android and iPhone.

Im still waiting for help on how to fix the GPS / Microphone / Hissing issues - a replacement is my guess...

I like the unit, music sound is great, I like the iGo. Perfect if it all worked...

Orac69

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an update to my issues..

After removing the dash, unit, GPS receiver and even putting the GPS receiver / wire on the roof, nothing worked. So I reset the unit using the small factory reset button on the front. After resetting the unit 5 times, on the 6 attempt the GPS lock just sprung into life. Got about 12 satellite locks, map came up virtually instantly....All good.

Put it back in the dash, put everything back together, and would you know it the F'ing thing stopped working again. Back to square one.

3 more factory resets and the GPS seems to be back and working ok - for now.

I still have problems - the internal Mic doesnt work and the hissing remains, but at least I have what I bought it for - GPS and Bluetooth music..

I'll return it if the GPS packs up again.

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for those of you still considering these - the manufacturer (ometer) stopped talking to me once I told them that mine permanently lost all audio output after a few days of use.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for those of you still considering these - the manufacturer (ometer) stopped talking to me once I told them that mine permanently lost all audio output after a few days of use.

Welcome to my experience..... not only did the manufacturer and the supplier stop talking to me, my credit card company reversed the dispute credit when the supplier responded to them that I had never made a complaint to them..... I told them I had 10 or more e-mails that I had sent to the supplier but even the credit card company would not help me. My son told me "that's what you get for not buying American....."...... now those are sage words from a 14 year old.....

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to my experience..... not only did the manufacturer and the supplier stop talking to me, my credit card company reversed the dispute credit when the supplier responded to them that I had never made a complaint to them..... I told them I had 10 or more e-mails that I had sent to the supplier but even the credit card company would not help me. My son told me "that's what you get for not buying American....."...... now those are sage words from a 14 year old.....

Is there any American company that builds car stereos? If so, is it at all likely that they are built in America?

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nope, none, nada. All built overseas. It's hard to find anything made in the USA. All electronics are made overseas. We do some assembly work here and will brand the box "Built in the USA". Last electronics built here was the old Curtis Mathis TV's and they are long gone. We ever go to war with China we are in deep doo doo. Our planes, ships and tanks will work for about a week........

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21