Opinions needed!

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I test-drove a 1997 Dodge Viper GTS yesterday. It was the first time I’ve ever driven something that high performance; so I can already tell it’s gonna take some practice learning how to drive this thing well. :drive:

I’m in a bit of a dilemma though. :omg:

I’m currently deciding between two cars and at the moment I can’t really make up a decision.

1997 Blue w/ White Stripes Dodge Viper GTS – 19,500 miles - $44,900
2000 Steel Gray w/ White Stripes Dodge Viper GTS – 25,500 miles - $41,000 with following upgrades: K&N intake, Mopar computer, smooth tubes, 62mm throttle bodies, EradiSpeed crossed drilled/slotted rotors, EBC green brake pads, new battery, new front tires.

The 2000 is located in California so with the shipping and insurance in the end I would most likely be paying close to the same; where as the 1997 is located 20 minutes from my house.

The 2000 obviously seems like the better deal but it's far away and I can't drive it before I buy it; however one of my friends lives in Cali so he's gonna test-drive it for me.

In the end I’ll obviously be making the final decision, but any opinions or comments or knowledge about whether a certain year is better then the other or anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

By the way I told the dealer yesterday I liked the car but had some others in mind so I would think about it and get back to him. He had said "that’s fine; however I do have someone else who is interested in it and is coming on Saturday to check it out; but I would hate to see you lose a chance at getting this car if you really want it, so I will tell this guy I am holding it for you and I will call you. So just let me know what you want to do because I will sell it to this other guy if you decide you wanna wait.” First of all; I can’t imagine any car salesman being that nice saying “they will hold something” pretty much every car salesman I’ve met will do whatever it takes to make a sale and if they could get one; would not hold off for someone else. Besides that, according to him I’m the only one who has test driven this car since he has had it. He sold a Ferrari this past Saturday but from what he said(if he’s telling the truth) People have came to his place and bought cars but no one has called about the Viper; besides the 2 guys that work there I’m the only other who has test-drove it. So I find it odd that all a sudden when I’m getting closer to buying it and taking my time he says there is someone else interested in it; I’m thinking he’s being a typical car salesmen and calling me with a bluff.

Does anyone agree? :dunno:

Thanks!
Anthony

P.S. My friend can't test-drive the 2000 for me until Sunday or Monday which means I would have to make a decision about this 1997 Viper on Saturday before I could find out anything further regarding the 2000 Viper. So if I wait on the 2000 I could possibly lose out on buying the 1997 if he's telling the truth and there really is someone else whose interested.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Salesmen ALWAYS say that, in my opinion...just to get you to HURRY UP and BUY IT...I think you can safely say the Viper will still be there after Sat...especially if you call them and say that you're interested, but high-pressure tactics WILL put you off buying it (believe me, I've bought lots of cars, and this always works!)...so NO pressure from the salesman, and you'll get back to him the next week. (And, yes, truly hoping this really IS a sales gimmick, which I'm 99% sure it is)....good luck with your decision. There are TONS of '97 GTS's around, but the steel gray 2000 is more of a rarity...and you can also call Chuck Tator and ask his EXPERT opinon on these two choices...1-914-773-3136...he'd be MORE than happy to assist you. Good Luck...juli

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dont buy a car based on what pistons are in the engine. There are a couple thousand blue/whites, and a couple hundred steel greys. Bottom line is buy the color you like best.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that B/W at 7 Motorcars has been there All winter @ thier asking price of 44,900. I tried to get them to go lower 2months ago and they didnt budge.
Now 2 months later, i see them selling it to u for 43,500 if your a good negotiator. Dont get me wrong, i think that car is worth MORE then 45 if its in the condition it looks, but would definatly suggest getting a viper mechanic to look it over to verify.

O yea, my vote goes to the B/W.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd take the 2000. If you plan on modding either car beyond 600rwhp, the B/W will handle more with its stock internals. Only problem with the 2000 is that you dont get forge pistons or ABS.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that B/W at 7 Motorcars has been there All winter @ thier asking price of 44,900. I tried to get them to go lower 2months ago and they didnt budge.
Now 2 months later, i see them selling it to u for 43,500 if your a good negotiator. Dont get me wrong, i think that car is worth MORE then 45 if its in the condition it looks, but would definatly suggest getting a viper mechanic to look it over to verify.

O yea, my vote goes to the B/W.

heh.. how did you know I was referring to the one from 7 Motorcars?? I guess me listing the car's year and price prob gave it away ;)

but what did you mean $43,500??? He's not selling it to me for that..I asked him if he was negotiable and he said the price was firm at $44,900 so he won't budge for me either- but I'm very interested........and I might try getting the price lower one last time before I buy it- if I do buy it.. so it will be interesting to see what decision I make when I'm put on the spot tomorrow on the phone haha :2tu:

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my experience. I fought with the same question, GenII or GENIII???? After looking at EBay, BJ's, etc. for quite some time I decided on a 97 B/W mainly because it reminded me of the Cobras of my youth. I thought I would drive to work every day, race it, mod it and just generally use like any other car. WRONG!!!! When I got got it I couldn't believe how gorgeous it was or how perfect it was. It was a garage queen in every aspect.....how could I run the pi*s out it like every other car I have ever had. I couldn't do it. I decided to save it, not mod it, not race it etc. So I am waiting to see if Cerebus kills the Viper....if they don't I'll buy a GENIII or a GENIV for a mostly daily driver (not in the Winter) mod it, race it, put a lot of miles on it etc.

The whole point I am trying to make is this: In my opinion buy the 2000 if you want to race, mod or just generally run the living hell out of it or buy the 97 for nice sunny days, an occasional run thru the gears, or short cruises.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy the one that you like best with regard to color, condition, price. The differences in pistons (forged vs cast) are relatively unimportant unless you plan on going with big forced induction to make extreme power.
PAvenom RT/10

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2nd PM sent.

Sounds like B/W is your dream, so live it. =) See if the dealer will shell out for new rubber at $44,900 or if he wants to deal down about a grand to offset your cost. It's the only screw I can think of trying to twist.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, I would buy which ever color you like best. If I had to choose I think I would be leaning towards the B&W only because of the mods on the Steel Gray. Both are beautiful color combos and seem priced right for the mileage etc... B&W being local does have an advantage.

Post pics on Sunday when you get it home. ;)

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 2002 w/15k miles was $45000 pre tax - sure you don't wanna search more? guess it'd be c.$47700 post tax...

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
97 B/W Very classic somewhat rare Viper, Steel Gray, very rare color, don't see as many, and already modded to a degree. Hard choice, but if you are thinking about modding at all, the 2000 is the better deal, IMHO.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys... are these the stock pipes? If not, can someone ID them off the top of their head?

I'm just trying to help him out since the B/W is not as untouched as it sounded. It does happen to come with smooth tubes, chrome ACRs and what are probably recent Pilot Sports judging by the pics.

I vote B/W.

I'd find out the manufacture dates on the tires to be sure, but it looks like a good deal. Got to imagine that those chrome 18" ACRs are worth more than the $850+ ea ($3400) for stockers quotes on JonB's site. And new tires, presuming you would step up to PS2s would run maybe $1462 based on TireRack... which we know JonB can beat. That trumps the TBs and rotors on the grey '00, imo.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys... are these the stock pipes? If not, can someone ID them off the top of their head?

I'm just trying to help him out since the B/W is not as untouched as it sounded. It does happen to come with smooth tubes, chrome ACRs and what are probably recent Pilot Sports judging by the pics.

I vote B/W.

You must be registered for see images

It has a really nice expensive set of tapestry floor mats in it also. :2tu: I think they are made by Snake Oyl, is that correct?

Looks like it has K&N's also judging by the "STOP" sticker on the radiator shroud.

V

Venomiss

Both are beautiful but I really like this combo. Get them both checked out and see what the Viper mechanics say first. Good luck in your search!

ViperShoot_03_06_05_001.jpg

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
965 Blue/White built in 1996
1163 Blue/White built in 1997

126 Steel/Silver built one year only in 2000

You won't see one very often and the color is stunning. I think those wheels on the 97 are BBS not original ACR wheels. The mats in the 97 are Snake/Oyl and can be had for a little over $300 for any model. The exhaust on the 97 is not stock.
One big difference to me is you're buying the steel from a VCA member who is on the board. I would have a much bigger confidence level about the background of that car than the car from the dealer. And once he pulled the "I will hold it for you" crap I would walk. Oldest salesmans trick in the book, it makes you feel emotionally like it's already yours and all you can do is lose it now. It's called the "puppy dog close. "'Would you just like to hold this puppy for awhile and pretend it's yours?"
Have your buddy check the car out in California and take high res pictures in the sun so you can see that color. It POPS! That blue white will still be there on Tuesday. Think about it, if the other imaginary guy was a serious buyer he would already have been there as he would be that excitied about it.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes i agree with Lee, the methods of a car salesman are so predictable. But being a Specialty Used car lot that gets thier inventory thru auctions and tradins, they have a built in wiggle room. I'd bet 7motors paid at Most 40K for that car thru auction like 2mo ago when they aquired it.
Like i said IF the car checks out with a Viper mechanic then tell him you've got 43 and walk. He will come down.

The reason that he said he wouldnt "budge" on the price is because you ****ed up by giving it away that you loved the car.
If it was me i would have been like "so i see it has aftermarket wheels on it, they lok ugly and im realy looking for an original car" yadayadayada anything you can say to make it seem less desirable to you will be benefical when you start talking numbers. Buying from a used car lot is a game. Learn the rules!

Now if you want the steelgrey, then go for it. Like they said its from a VCA member and is a good deal

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
965 Blue/White built in 1996
1163 Blue/White built in 1997
126 Steel/Silver built one year only in 2000

Rarity does not always equal desirability or value.
B/W's have historically been considered by even casual observers as the quintessential Viper GTS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
precisely, if they made 5 vipers in some ugly color, yes they would be rare. but desirable? No

The steel w/stripes is hot though.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Salesmen ALWAYS say that, in my opinion...just to get you to HURRY UP and BUY IT...I think you can safely say the Viper will still be there after Sat...especially if you call them and say that you're interested, but high-pressure tactics WILL put you off buying it (believe me, I've bought lots of cars, and this always works!)...so NO pressure from the salesman, and you'll get back to him the next week. (And, yes, truly hoping this really IS a sales gimmick, which I'm 99% sure it is)....good luck with your decision. There are TONS of '97 GTS's around, but the steel gray 2000 is more of a rarity...and you can also call Chuck Tator and ask his EXPERT opinon on these two choices...1-914-773-3136...he'd be MORE than happy to assist you. Good Luck...juli

Thanks for the info Juli.. I appreciate it! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21