OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
965 Blue/White built in 1996
1163 Blue/White built in 1997

126 Steel/Silver built one year only in 2000

You won't see one very often and the color is stunning. I think those wheels on the 97 are BBS not original ACR wheels. The mats in the 97 are Snake/Oyl and can be had for a little over $300 for any model. The exhaust on the 97 is not stock.
One big difference to me is you're buying the steel from a VCA member who is on the board. I would have a much bigger confidence level about the background of that car than the car from the dealer. And once he pulled the "I will hold it for you" crap I would walk. Oldest salesmans trick in the book, it makes you feel emotionally like it's already yours and all you can do is lose it now. It's called the "puppy dog close. "'Would you just like to hold this puppy for awhile and pretend it's yours?"
Have your buddy check the car out in California and take high res pictures in the sun so you can see that color. It POPS! That blue white will still be there on Tuesday. Think about it, if the other imaginary guy was a serious buyer he would already have been there as he would be that excitied about it.

You make a very good point, thank you...

and you are also right- they are 18" chrome BBS rims.. the pictures give it no justice I think- in person though, the car is absolutely stunning! :2tu:

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes i agree with Lee, the methods of a car salesman are so predictable. But being a Specialty Used car lot that gets thier inventory thru auctions and tradins, they have a built in wiggle room. I'd bet 7motors paid at Most 40K for that car thru auction like 2mo ago when they aquired it.
Like i said IF the car checks out with a Viper mechanic then tell him you've got 43 and walk. He will come down.

The reason that he said he wouldnt "budge" on the price is because you ****ed up by giving it away that you loved the car.
If it was me i would have been like "so i see it has aftermarket wheels on it, they lok ugly and im realy looking for an original car" yadayadayada anything you can say to make it seem less desirable to you will be benefical when you start talking numbers. Buying from a used car lot is a game. Learn the rules!

Now if you want the steelgrey, then go for it. Like they said its from a VCA member and is a good deal

haha you are so right.. My father went with me and was telling me the same thing- I can't help it! Everytime I see a Viper I get excited and become a little kid again.. However, I did act more mature when I test-drove it yesterday so I was very proud of myself ;)

Also before I even went to see the car for the first time, on the phone I told the guy that I absolutely hate the rims, and he said if you were to buy it we could work on trading them off for something- and yesterday when I test drove it, he said nothing about trading them off.. so yes, this is a game! However, in person the rims I feel look way better then they do in the pictures.. I kinda like these rims actually:
iForged Performance Wheels - The next generation in forging technology

I like these too but they are way too expensive:
HRE Wheels

Actually both styles are pretty expensive haha

any thoughts?

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ooooh, those I-forged would look hot. You can get them in different colors and combos, too. Like the lip section can be chrome and the spokes black or whatever suits the buyer's taste. I prefer all polished, myself.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd prefer a car without the mods....but I'd also prefer the Steel grey...hmm.

Maybe a bit of help would be to consider the changes made in the later Vipers...grained dashboard, remote hatch release, power mirrors, etc.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't compare both colors against eachother in terms of rarity. Why? Because VIPERS are rare, period. You will probably never see another out driving around, so it really doesn't matter what color you choose.

I like the B/W out of those two. Those 18" BBS wheels look sharp!

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd prefer a car without the mods....but I'd also prefer the Steel grey...hmm.

Maybe a bit of help would be to consider the changes made in the later Vipers...grained dashboard, remote hatch release, power mirrors, etc.

Do you have any pics showing those differences in the interior? I never realized that..

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would do the 97 personally. Forged motor FTW.

I'd take the 2000. If you plan on modding either car beyond 600rwhp, the B/W will handle more with its stock internals. Only problem with the 2000 is that you dont get forge pistons or ABS.

Buy the one that you like best with regard to color, condition, price. The differences in pistons (forged vs cast) are relatively unimportant unless you plan on going with big forced induction to make extreme power.
PAvenom RT/10

So what would you say is better then..Forged or Cast? Or is it mainly personal preference? :dunno:

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what would you say is better then..Forged or Cast? Or is it mainly personal preference? :dunno:

I am a hot rodder, not a cruiser, not a "look at me I drive a rare car" person. Therefore I am after one thing, speed and power. Forged piston cars can handle more power in stock form then the cast counterparts. If you plan on making big power 600-650rwhp+(seems to be a debatable figure) get a forged piston car. If you plan on going over 900rwhp, it doesn't matter because you will still have to upgrade internals anyway..

For me, I know 750-800rwhp will satisfy me for a while. So that's why I went ahead and stuck with buying a forged motor car.

450-500rwhp cars just seem slow to me. If you are not used to those power levels a slightly modified viper will keep you happy for a year or two. IMO if the grey viper was forged motor, I would be all over it. That's actually the color I wanted.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, well I'm definitely leaning towards the 97, especially since its local and I can just drive it home :drive: ..but things are still up in the air right now so this week I have the BIGGEST decision I've ever had to make in my life.. :omg:

But on a happier note, it's safe to say that by this time next week I will be a fellow Viper owner and hopefully soon-to-be VCA member :2tu:

Last edited:

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't go wrong except no matter which color you pick, when you see a viper in the other color you'll always think: I could have gotten 1 of those.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't go wrong except no matter which color you pick, when you see a viper in the other color you'll always think: I could have gotten 1 of those.

That's very true.. but I don't think I'll ever see a steel gray Viper in person- there's just too few of them made..

It's okay though. Blue is my favorite color, I've wanted this exact car in blue with white stripes for the past 11 years so it only makes sense to buy it. :2tu:

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always thought a Viper roadster should be red & a GTS blue w/ white stripes. Then I saw a steel gray GTS. When the '02 graphites came out & I saw one w/ silver stripes, well my whole color scheme went out the window. Graphite has been my favorite color since. If you attend a VOI, you'll see them all!

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Steel Gray RT.It also changes colors all day long.Metallic pearl paint.You see blues,greys,purples even..or at least light shades of it.Both cars are awesome but trust me get the Steel Gray! I get compliments on the color BEFORE the car!

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always thought a Viper roadster should be red & a GTS blue w/ white stripes. Then I saw a steel gray GTS. When the '02 graphites came out & I saw one w/ silver stripes, well my whole color scheme went out the window. Graphite has been my favorite color since. If you attend a VOI, you'll see them all!

Yes I agree with you- I like Graphite also, but it's a little darker then the steel which is why I'm not too sure if I'm a fan of Steel Gray. I like darker color cars which is why I'm sure the blue will suit me well :)

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Steel Gray RT.It also changes colors all day long.Metallic pearl paint.You see blues,greys,purples even..or at least light shades of it.Both cars are awesome but trust me get the Steel Gray! I get compliments on the color BEFORE the car!

I've heard that put exactly the same way depending on how sunlight or any lighting at all hitting the car resulting in the color changing from grays, to blues, to purples etc.,.. I think it's pretty cool how the Steel Gray turns different shades of color like that.. But, I'm just not sure if I'd like that enough on a car of my own; although in general terms I think that would be pretty awesome. :smirk:

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blue/white....can't go wrong with owning the most highly desired Gen II

Yup, it's just an unbelievable color combo and I think, actually I KNOW i made the right decision; I'm calling today to finalize the deal.

Quick question though, hoping some of you might be able to help me.

I checked the VIN number through car fax, I know the 1997 has 4 known recalls... 1997 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe Recalls & Problems at Motor Trend Buyer’s Guide

However, I looked my soon to be car up on carfax and there is one of those recalls found:
http://www.carfax.com/cfm/general_check.cfm?partner=EBZ_3&vin=1B3ER69E7VV302412
Manufacturer Safety recall issued
#998 STEERING AND DIFFERENTIAL FRAME REPAIR

I believe that is referring to this recall found on the link here: 1997 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe Recalls & Problems at Motor Trend Buyer’s Guide
1997 DODGE VIPER STEERING:RACK AND PINION:RACK
Recall Date: 10/04/2001

Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES USED EXTENSIVELY IN TRACK TYPE RACING EVENTS AND SUBJECTED TO AGGRESSIVE DRIVING CONDITIONS COULD EXPERIENCECRACKING OF THE STEERING RACK MOUNTING BRACKETS.

Consequence:
THE CRACKS COULD EVENTUALLY LEAD TO SEPARATION OF THE STEERING RACK FROM THE FRAME OF THE VEHICLE. SEPARATION OF THE STEERING RACK COULD RESULT IN UNEXPECTED STEERING LOOSENESS AND LAG.

Remedy:
ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES WILL HAVE A FIELD REPAIR KIT INSTALLED, CONSISTING OF LOWER FRAME RAIL REINFORCEMENT GUSSETS AND A REINFORCEMENT BRACKET. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN MAY 20, 2002. OWNERS WHO DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE INFORMATION WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Potential Units Affected: 7050

Notes: DODGE VIPER 999

(I think there is an error because carfax lists this recall as "998" and the above statement reads "999")

However, I looked this up on Dodge's website by putting in the VIN number:
Dodge - Contact Us

And the status on this recall is incomplete so it has never actually been fixed I'm assuming. So would this or any of the other recalls be a problem or could I happily bring my new toy to Dodge and they would have all the recalls fixed?

Any information regarding this would be very helpful.. thank you!

:)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, you've made the b/w decision!!! Congrats...either one sounded great! As far as your recall questions, again, as I always do, I defer to Chuck Tator's opinion: Call him about them 1-914-763-3136
I'd think any INCOMPLETE recall work is warrantied? :dunno: Call Chuck up and just ask!
Pics when you get the car (and yes, we've seen pics of both, but not since YOU'VE bought the b/w!)!!! ~juli

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, you've made the b/w decision!!! Congrats...either one sounded great! As far as your recall questions, again, as I always do, I defer to Chuck Tator's opinion: Call him about them 1-914-763-3136
I'd think any INCOMPLETE recall work is warrantied? :dunno: Call Chuck up and just ask!
Pics when you get the car (and yes, we've seen pics of both, but not since YOU'VE bought the b/w!)!!! ~juli

I'm calling the Tator right now as we speak!!!

Thanks again Juli ;)

and yes, I will make sure to take pics!!

and also plan on buying a radar tomorrow... still undecided between the V1 and 9500i :dunno:

I know you just replaced the 8500 with the 9500i but since you havent had much time to experience it to give me an informed decision I'll have to think quickly!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm calling the Tator right now as we speak!!!
Thanks again Juli ;)
and yes, I will make sure to take pics!!
and also plan on buying a radar tomorrow... still undecided between the V1 and 9500i :dunno:
I know you just replaced the 8500 with the 9500i but since you havent had much time to experience it to give me an informed decision I'll have to think quickly!

LOL--Good eye there!!!:2tu: Yeah, the 9500i was more recommended because of the GPS AND ability to delete 'false alerts', the 8500 just was picking up too many. Good Luck with your decision now on the radar detector (took us over a MONTH to peruse data, listen to others, and decide)...let us know what CHUCK tells ya!!!! ~juli

IGetIt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new around here and finally got the wife to agree on a Viper purchase. When I began looking, I also came across that B/W in Hampton.

I did some research on that 97 B/W @ 7 Motors a month or so back (I'm only about 25 minutes away). Just some info:
1) The front has been re-sprayed, Not sure if it was due to chips or actual damage
2) They had successfully sold it on eBay twice over the fall/winter, but still have it. Not sure it they were deadbeat bidders or something else. It just seemed odd to me. First time on ebay: First time on ebay. Second Time on eBaySecond time on eBay
3) In one of the ads(2nd one), it shows damage to the passenger door.
4) The exhaust is a Borla aftermarket
5) It was also advertised in Drag Times for $42,100.... so I'm sure he will deal lower than $44k. Drag Times Link: GTS BLUE BBS WHEELS BORLA EXHAUST 19K MILES For Sale - DragTimes.com

I love the 97 B/W, but still had a few unanswered questions from the dealer so I'm still looking for now. I just thought I'd pass along what I found when looking at that car. Good Luck!

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeeze... well that is both good news(thanks for telling me) and horrible news lol- I took off time from work tomorrow to go put a downpayment on it and have a mechanic check it out..... now you got me thinking with all these problems... I had Chuck Tator tell me today that the transmission was completely replaced on it.. but he said he has come accross several Vipers with faulty transmissions... he also said the history noted the whole windshield he thinks was replaced since its typical for the Viper's windshield to leak on the top middle of the windshield...

Now I don't know what to do.... should I still buy it or consider this car to have more problems then what we both found out..... :(

Hi, I'm new around here and finally got the wife to agree on a Viper purchase. When I began looking, I also came across that B/W in Hampton.

I did some research on that 97 B/W @ 7 Motors a month or so back (I'm only about 25 minutes away). Just some info:
1) The front has been re-sprayed, Not sure if it was due to chips or actual damage
2) They had successfully sold it on eBay twice over the fall/winter, but still have it. Not sure it they were deadbeat bidders or something else. It just seemed odd to me. First time on ebay: First time on ebay. Second Time on eBaySecond time on eBay
3) In one of the ads(2nd one), it shows damage to the passenger door.
4) The exhaust is a Borla aftermarket
5) It was also advertised in Drag Times for $42,100.... so I'm sure he will deal lower than $44k. Drag Times Link: GTS BLUE BBS WHEELS BORLA EXHAUST 19K MILES For Sale - DragTimes.com

I love the 97 B/W, but still had a few unanswered questions from the dealer so I'm still looking for now. I just thought I'd pass along what I found when looking at that car. Good Luck!

IGetIt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeeze... well that is both good news(thanks for telling me) and horrible news lol- I took off time from work tomorrow to go put a downpayment on it and have a mechanic check it out..... now you got me thinking with all these problems... I had Chuck Tator tell me today that the transmission was completely replaced on it.. but he said he has come accross several Vipers with faulty transmissions... he also said the history noted the whole windshield he thinks was replaced since its typical for the Viper's windshield to leak on the top middle of the windshield...

Now I don't know what to do.... should I still buy it or consider this car to have more problems then what we both found out..... :(

I'm not sure what you should do. Current owners would know more than I would. I'm also looking for my first snake and the B/W GTS has always been at the top of the list... which is why I was researching that one (plus it's right down the road.)

I guess I passed b/c I just felt like I didn't have the entire story. Too many items seemed "off" to me. That doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with it.. I'm just extremely cautious. I did inquire about a few of these items via 7 Motors own website, but they never bothered to get back to me. That generally tells me they don't want my business, so I moved on.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Invariably when you see a car selling below the "norm" there is a story. A clean B/W with 19K is worth more than 42K. Clean means never in an accident, no body work, no major mechanical work and not repainted. That car has some untold stories. Not that it's not a good deal, but it certainly requires a very thorough checking out. There is always a reason.

OPENRUP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also was looking at the car and asked several questions regarding the history of it and got no answers from the dealer. When I ran the Carfax it showed the car had been titled in Alaska for a short time also?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala