Opinions needed!

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also was looking at the car and asked several questions regarding the history of it and got no answers from the dealer. When I ran the Carfax it showed the car had been titled in Alaska for a short time also?

Yes that is true.. the car originated in Wisconsin I believe.. There were 4 past owners. The last one to own it was a 55 year old Italian who owned a pizza restaurant which he then sold the restaurant, sold the Viper and moved to Italy.. I'm sure he's bought a Ferrari by now haha.. but that is what Jimmy(the dealer) told me..

I actually sent him this email last night:

Hi Jimmy,

I just wanted to send you an email to tell you I think I’m going to continue my search. I’ve been doing a lot of research today and found a lot of information regarding this Viper. I noticed it was sold on eBay twice over this past fall/winter; which makes me wonder why you still have it and why it’s still for sale? I also found out that the front was re-sprayed, which is a huge concern to me. I also found this car advertised at a lower price in Drag Times for $42,100. I made a call today to Tator’s Dodge to have the VIN number ran and there were quite a bit of other problems regarding the car as well. The records showed some stuff was done to the windshield or it was replaced. I also found out more history regarding something done to the hood; unless that refers to the front of the car being re-sprayed. Lastly, I also found out that the transmission was totally replaced so the one in there now is not the original. I’m not really sure what the whole background on this car is or if there is even more information that neither of us know about; but I’m pretty tight on money as it is so I can’t be taking any risks on buying a car not knowing if I’ll be putting more money into it sooner then I’d like. I do appreciate everything you have done though and if you do manage to get a hold of another 96/97 Blue with White stripes Viper GTS please let me know.

Good luck selling your Viper Jimmy and thanks again,

Anthony

I feel I did the right thing in the end; but I'm honestly pretty damn upset haha- I have been wanting this car for the past 11 years and told myself once I had a stable job I would buy one. The fact that this highly demanded color combo is the color I have always dreamed of owning, plus the fact I'm from Haverhill MA; so 7MotorCars is only a 25minute drive away. I just couldn't believe the deal I could possibly take advantage of considering the low miles and price so close to home. I'm not sure if I will still look at it today or not- or even still consider buying it. I have test-drove it though and have looked at it twice and liked it.. but since this morning while I'm at work I have contacted 5 owners of other 96/97 blue/white stripes GTSs with 15-25kmiles for sale around the 43-47k price range which I might pursue on a deal. However, none of these are close by and will require shipping costs :(

If I can't find anything soon, I guess all I have left to do is keep saving till May-June and just buy one around the 50k mark instead of the low to mid 40s since it seems a lot more common to find a low mileage Blue/White Stripes GTS in great condition for around the 50k mark.. :2tu:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Invariably when you see a car selling below the "norm" there is a story. A clean B/W with 19K is worth more than 42K. Clean means never in an accident, no body work, no major mechanical work and not repainted. That car has some untold stories. Not that it's not a good deal, but it certainly requires a very thorough checking out. There is always a reason.

I see you own a 97 Blue and White GTS.. looking to sell it? You're not too far.. NY is only a 3-4 hour drive away ;) haha I'm jk- props to you for owning such a beautiful car :2tu:

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you should do. Current owners would know more than I would. I'm also looking for my first snake and the B/W GTS has always been at the top of the list... which is why I was researching that one (plus it's right down the road.)

I guess I passed b/c I just felt like I didn't have the entire story. Too many items seemed "off" to me. That doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with it.. I'm just extremely cautious. I did inquire about a few of these items via 7 Motors own website, but they never bothered to get back to me. That generally tells me they don't want my business, so I moved on.

I appreciate you making your first post to this forum; one to give me great advice! :2tu:

I find it funny that I've been looking at this car for almost a month now; and the day before I go to buy it; not only do I decide to call Tator's Dodge to run the VIN#, but you come along making your first post with more information that Chuck didn't tell me that also was very helpful... That must be some form of a miracle haha

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see you own a 97 Blue and White GTS.. looking to sell it? You're not too far.. NY is only a 3-4 hour drive away ;) haha I'm jk- props to you for owning such a beautiful car :2tu:

I was very lucky, finding a local (NJ) car collector who wanted to "thin the herd" as he put it. It had only 8K on it, and was extremely well cared for. I paid a fair price for it and it was worth every penny to me, I have the one I always wanted. I will never sell it unless I am in desperate straights. The wife goes before that car does...:omg:

Don't dispair, they are out there. People decide to sell for all kinds of reasons and great deals pop up all the time. You did the right thing, checking it out and contacting Chuck T. Running the VIN number tells you a lot, you can not rely on CarFax and some dealers gibberish. Like others have said, sometimes you just have a gut feeling about a car and if it's bad..back off and rethink. No rush, it's winter. Something will come along for you, I will keep my eyes open. They pop up now and again here on Long Island advertised locally.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes that is true.. the car originated in Wisconsin I believe.. There were 4 past owners. The last one to own it was a 55 year old Italian who owned a pizza restaurant which he then sold the restaurant, sold the Viper and moved to Italy.. I'm sure he's bought a Ferrari by now haha.. but that is what Jimmy(the dealer) told me..

I actually sent him this email last night:

Hi Jimmy,

I just wanted to send you an email to tell you I think I’m going to continue my search. I’ve been doing a lot of research today and found a lot of information regarding this Viper. I noticed it was sold on eBay twice over this past fall/winter; which makes me wonder why you still have it and why it’s still for sale? I also found out that the front was re-sprayed, which is a huge concern to me. I also found this car advertised at a lower price in Drag Times for $42,100. I made a call today to Tator’s Dodge to have the VIN number ran and there were quite a bit of other problems regarding the car as well. The records showed some stuff was done to the windshield or it was replaced. I also found out more history regarding something done to the hood; unless that refers to the front of the car being re-sprayed. Lastly, I also found out that the transmission was totally replaced so the one in there now is not the original. I’m not really sure what the whole background on this car is or if there is even more information that neither of us know about; but I’m pretty tight on money as it is so I can’t be taking any risks on buying a car not knowing if I’ll be putting more money into it sooner then I’d like. I do appreciate everything you have done though and if you do manage to get a hold of another 96/97 Blue with White stripes Viper GTS please let me know.

Good luck selling your Viper Jimmy and thanks again,

Anthony

I feel I did the right thing in the end; but I'm honestly pretty damn upset haha- I have been wanting this car for the past 11 years and told myself once I had a stable job I would buy one. The fact that this highly demanded color combo is the color I have always dreamed of owning, plus the fact I'm from Haverhill MA; so 7MotorCars is only a 25minute drive away. I just couldn't believe the deal I could possibly take advantage of considering the low miles and price so close to home. I'm not sure if I will still look at it today or not- or even still consider buying it. I have test-drove it though and have looked at it twice and liked it.. but since this morning while I'm at work I have contacted 5 owners of other 96/97 blue/white stripes GTSs with 15-25kmiles for sale around the 43-47k price range which I might pursue on a deal. However, none of these are close by and will require shipping costs :(

If I can't find anything soon, I guess all I have left to do is keep saving till May-June and just buy one around the 50k mark instead of the low to mid 40s since it seems a lot more common to find a low mileage Blue/White Stripes GTS in great condition for around the 50k mark.. :2tu:

I heard back from the dealer, this was his email.. do you think it's legit?

Hi Anthony,

I am very dissapointed to hear that. As far as the quality of this car goes I do not believe you will find a nicer one blue/white for the money. We are selling the car below our cost with the intention of earning a good customer and so that we can buy fresh inventory. As far as the transmission is concerned that is probably good that it has been replaced. The hood and front bumper were repainted for cosmetic reasons (stone chips). This car has absolutely no issues structualy or mechanicaly if it did I would not be selling it. Jon and I have a policy that if it isn't perfect we won't sell it. As for the car being sold on e bay, the bidders did not have financing arranged prior to bidding. And as far as Drag Times is concerned I have no idea what that is and I never advertised a car on there, and definately wouldn't advertise the car for 42k when I own the car for 44500. I just wanted to respond to this and let you know we are honest and upfront.

Sincerely,

Jimmy Dexter
7 Motor Cars
"High Performance Cars For Enthusiasts"
603-379-8777

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"We are selling the car below our cost with the intention of earning a good customer and so that we can buy fresh inventory."

That line of bull**** right there tells you all you need to know. It never gets old.
That's how they stay in business, losing money on every sale to "gain a good customer" :lmao:

Dealmaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll bet his nose grew 3 inches:lmao: There are way to many "No Stories" Vipers for sale to take a chance on one with.

"We are selling the car below our cost with the intention of earning a good customer and so that we can buy fresh inventory."

That line of bull**** right there tells you all you need to know. It never gets old.
That's how they stay in business, losing money on every sale to "gain a good customer" :lmao:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally don't think the car is devalued because of the facia repaint, windshield or new tranny. I would drive it, go over it with a fine tooth comb and have my Viper tech go over it.

If it's clean and straight, with no frame damage or other major issues I wouldn't have a problem with buying it. Assuming all that checks out, I'd just have to ask myself if the car is worth the asking price. If so, I'd buy it.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well we had scheduled for this dealers mechanic to look at it today; however, since the dealer uses this guy- I'm not sure if he would be as good as using another mechanic to tell me the honest truth about everything..and I don't know of any specialized Viper mechanics to ask. I found another car in Florida; but I'm still interested in this one nonetheless.. so I'm just trying to think of all the positives and negatives at once.. because I still want this car- but I don't want to make a horrible decision!

I personally don't think the car is devalued because of the facia repaint, windshield or new tranny. I would drive it, go over it with a fine tooth comb and have my Viper tech go over it.

If it's clean and straight, with no frame damage or other major issues I wouldn't have a problem with buying it. Assuming all that checks out, I'd just have to ask myself if the car is worth the asking price. If so, I'd buy it.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would stay away from this dealer. They also said to me that the Viper I won on ebay was the nicest that I could find. That is not the case as I told you in my e-mail. It's in great shape but not the nicest! They are selling to you below their cost??? Give me a break!!! You will find the right one soon! Just give it a little more time. Or have someone from this forum to go down and test drive and take a very detailed look at it.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would stay away from this dealer. They also said to me that the Viper I won on ebay was the nicest that I could find. That is not the case as I told you in my e-mail. It's in great shape but not the nicest! They are selling to you below their cost??? Give me a break!!! You will find the right one soon! Just give it a little more time. Or have someone from this forum to go down and test drive and take a very detailed look at it.

Hey Jon,

In this thread I'm referring to the car in NorthHampton not the one in Florida ;)

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lemme tell you something. As a car dealer in Florida, I can tell you 100% for sure that this dealer is B*^*s$@t. The only way he will take a loss on this car is at an auction. He will NEVER lose money on a retail deal. Especially on a B/W Viper. Now this car may be worth the money he is asking but he won't lose money.

Ron

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh the dealer games and BS just never seem to change or get old. I personally will walk on any dealer that tries that crap with me. If they think I'm so F'N stupid that I'd believe that then I guess I'd buy any bridge huh.

If they disrespect you so much they continue to come across with the BS then you're better off walking because they won't stop.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala