Opinions on the following 2 GTS's?

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all, my 1st post here, great site :)

Was looking at a few Vipers to purchase, budget is about $38,000 and Im looking to import the vehicle to Toronto, Canada (theyre much cheaper in the States than up here).

Anyhow, would love some opinions on the following two vehicles. Unfortunately, I wouldnt be able to see the vehicles and Id be purchasing based on inspection at their local Dodge dealer and such.

Anyhow, heres the following two vehicles:

1st car is a 99 ACR with 29,000miles
ViperClub Classifieds - 1999 ACR Viper Black On Black For Sale In Nyc Need To Sell - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

2nd car is a 2000 GTS with 20,000miles
Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

Spoke to both owners, both have nothing but good things to say about the vehicles.

1st ones located in New York. 2nd one is in Pennsylvania.

Any suggestions? Opinions?

Thanks in advance

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$38K for that 99 black ACR is an awesome deal! Grab it! I imported my car from the states last year. Let me know if you need any help.

Welcome to the club!

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Kmrumedy

I suspect most would go with the ACR... It definitely seems like a good deal. But to be honest, Im not sure if the "differences" offered in the ACR are for me... I know the generally fetch more $ (Ive heard roughly $5000 more). Just trying to decide if the extra 10,000miles and 1 year lower is worth it for an ACR compared to the GTS.
Both seem to be great deals :)

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can someone give me some more info on ACR's?
From what I understand, these are the upgrades?

"This model featured suspension and engine enhancements focused on maximizing performance in road racing and autocross environments. Horsepower was (by way of K&N air filters and smooth intake tubes) bumped to 460 hp (343 kW) in these models, while torque went to 500 ft·lbf (678 N·m). Weight was reduced by over 50 pounds (23 kg) by stripping the interior and removing other non essential items such as the fog lamps. The new stiffer, adjustable suspension removed another 14 pounds (6.4 kg) Along with engine and handling mods, these models are distinguished by an "ACR" badge, along with 20 spoke BBS wheels"

Im guessing its more of a collectors edition type? Personally, the differences dont seem too drastic to me... Then again, Ive never driven an ACR in comparison.

OPENRUP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the ACR is as nice as it looks in the pictures I would buy that thing. I honestly think that is way under what market value should be on that car. Good luck with your purchase :)

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Kmrumedy or anyone else whos imported a ca into Canada.
Would the aftermarket seats in the ACR cause issues at the border?

Im assuming they check some sort of safety harness thats available on the stock seats?

Edit: this is what im referring to... from RIV Canada:

Vehicles require these modifications:

Child restraint tether anchorage hardware kit
Child restraint tether anchorage point locations

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always been of the school that if it looks to good to be true, there is a reason.
Check it out very carefully, have Chuck Tator run the VIN and take all sensible precautions.

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Id definitely have Chuck look at the car.
The owner of the ACR is getting a Modena and the $38,000 was offered to him by the Ferrari dealer... But regardless, id still take the steps and get her checked out before buying.

Still hoping thers more to the ACR than what Ive came across... cause it doesnt seem to be much.... More of a collector thing?

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the ACR. Not only is it an ACR you are comparing it to a 2000 car which has the creampuff motor and no ABS.

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Creampuff motor? Hmm?
Sorry, can someone explain?

mini viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want the ACR...but maybe I'm biased...I should have bought that one and slapped some silver vinyl stripes on it and called it a day. Would have saved me a bunch of money...

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont worry about the RIV thing with the seats. The child restraint thing is just a metal loop that attaches behind the seat and 1/2 the time they dont even look for it at the inspection. Better hurry up and buy it. Now that you pointed out the add I might snap it up. I love black but I live in a dusty city and 5 mins after you wash it you can see the dust again here. It *****.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy the ACR if you don't mind paying a lot more for shocks (when they wear out), & wheels (if you can find one, if you ding one), and don't want the smoother easy revving motor of the '00. Does it have the comfort package? (Big deduct in my book if not.) No ABS on 2000, which is a plus in my book but mine is not a daily driver. Also, I prefer the adjustable brake bias setup and SRT-10 brakes (which are superior to the 99 ACR or 00), but that's prob not an issue for most guys, who polish not race. If you are concerned about safety (ala ABS), then the ACR might not be for you either, since the much stiffer suspension is tricky on streets (read about all the wrecks that 'just happen' as they go over a rise or hit bumpy patches of roadway). For the avg buyer, the 00 is prob a better bet. Just my 2c.

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry about the seats as stated above. They do not check it. They are really only concerned with the Daytime lights.

If you are planning on ever doing any engine modifications in the future I would buy the 99 with the forged pistons.

$38K is really good for that car.....I'm surprised it hasn't sold sooner.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no brainer. acr all day. heck i should buy it to go with mine at that price.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the ACR it's all about the suspension. There are other mods over the stock GTS. But it's suspension, suspension, suspension.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I imported a car from Bernie Katz. 2002 FE.

Great car and his inventory is impeccable.

Get a check done on the car ( carfax ). Make sure........price seems a tad low.

Patrick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine