Opinions on this new Viper VARARAM intake?

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this new VARARAM intake advertised in the new issue of Viper Magazine? Does it work? Opinions/experience please? Claims up to 30hp...hard to believe!

Thanks,

Rich

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vararam Link

Very interesting.....I know they have a good intake for the Corvette, but I can't imagine them getting the 3 mph/3 tenths guarantee on a Viper.

I am looking forward to further info. and dynos.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't say works or doesn't, but 3/10's or 3 mph.....That would have to proven to me before I believed it. Does say there is a $$$ back guarantee. It mentions RSI.....wonder if Rohn has one on his beast ?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I would like to encourage all my future opponents to put one of their car :)

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$399 !!!!!!!!!!!! Holy Moly. I suggest they show up at the next V10 nationals. I'm sure many folks would give them plenty of back to back trials. If they work as guaranteed they will sell 2 dozen at that race.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least two 11.1 or faster n/a car owners were running no no airbox at Columbus because they feel any airbox is a restriction.

One tuner at Columbus also mentioned the same thing...

Maybe some of the Vipers running 13sec ETs
You must be registered for see images
yesterday should buy one....

OP
OP
V

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well...8 replies and still no one who has one with a comment. I wonder if they have sold any yet, or is everyone waiting like I am for someone to go first?!?!?

Rich

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just seems to be a little restrictive. The stock air box has more volume and would more likely be able to flow better. It just doesn't seem like it could flow 2000cfm only throught he NACA duct.

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
EdmontonGTS;

Would you elaborate on your comment : "the NACA duct develops a vaccuum situation at speed"?

Are you saying that at approximately a certain speed that airflow is being blocked by negative pressure (the vaacuum is keeping air from entering the NACA duct)? Or do you mean that the NACA duct benefits from air almost being force-fed into it at or above certain speeds?

Just curious, as I am guessing that the NACA duct has little benefit at low speeds.

Jim

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EdmontonGTS;

Would you elaborate on your comment : "the NACA duct develops a vaccuum situation at speed"?

Are you saying that at approximately a certain speed that airflow is being blocked by negative pressure (the vaacuum is keeping air from entering the NACA duct)? Or do you mean that the NACA duct benefits from air almost being force-fed into it at or above certain speeds?

Just curious, as I am guessing that the NACA duct has little benefit at low speeds.

Jim

I think what Steve is talking about are the reports that some air actually comes out of the NACA duct at speed, apparently because there is more of it trying to escape from under the hood than can leave via the side vents and hood slits. However, I don't see how this would happen if this unit completely seals off the NACA duct on the inside as they claim. There would be no way for the air under the hood to get to the duct. Which doesn't necessarily mean this thing works better, of course.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 4 questions are.......

1.Does this V-ram work like they claim?
2. will it work with the vipair system?
3.will it work with the current smooth tubes?
4.does it use the same size air filters as stock??

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jwwiii,

The vaccum situation is caused by the boundary layer of air over the front of the viper at speed, the air flows over the viper front about 4 inches off the hood the remaining areea between the hood and thereal ram air flow is vaccum or "lift" ie the front of the viper is shaped liek a wing. This causes air to literally be sucked out of the stock viper airbox at speed through the NACA duct. This is why the Viper GTSR race cars stopped utilizing the Naca duct in the firt year of racing and went with a Vipair™ like intake. All the intake air of the factory race GTSR's came from in front of the rad , not the NACA duct.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about this idea.
Even if the NACA duct isn't flowing properly at 150mph, it might work properly at some other speeds.

The claims they make for this product seem no more unscientific than the claims made for the Vipair.

I really don't believe that either one will give any real gain.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,

Read this

http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/1945/naca-acr-5i20/naca-acr-5i20.pdf

Then tell me if you think that the Vara Ram could possibly work.

The Vipair routes air from the extrememly high pressure area in front of the radiator directly into the airbox, and at the same time does not allow the hot under hood air from entering the airbox.

Vipair works, VaraRam can't work according to NASA.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just did a very quick review of the 57 page report on the NACA duct.

I see that the testing was done at 475 mph. Do you think that data will cross over to a car?

I don't see any testing that shows why you think the Viper front end would have any particular boundary layer.
I'm sure there is a boundary layer buy how do you know what it is?

Your claim that the front of a Viper looks and acts like a wing is simply opinion based on the way you think things should be.

You say Vipair works but AaraRam can't work "according to NASA".
Rather than just pointing to a 57 page report, how about spelling out the actual page and quote where it says that.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,

the report comments on NACA ducts not on the Vararam. why don't you for once apply a litle common sense joe?

I state that the viper front end has a thick boundary layer because that is what I have been told by 2 separate aeronautical engineers. I state that the the NACCA duct on the viper is a low pressure ( vaccum ) area because it is joe.

Joe the earth is round and the moon is not made of cheese!

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I state that the viper front end has a thick boundary layer because that is what I have been told by 2 separate aeronautical engineers. I state that the the NACCA duct on the viper is a low pressure ( vaccum ) area because it is joe.

Joe asks for facts and you reply with a big ol' "Because I said so!". I think I'll apply a little common sense and not believe you.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
9 seconds,

I just state the facts as they are and how they have been presented to me. If Joe wants to figure it all out he has 57 pages of formulas to apply and he is quite able to form his own opinions and present them to everybody, just as you are.

It is very easy to be a critic and say prove it, but maybe it is time to get off your own arses and prove your side of the equation for change! Joe? Let's see ya do it!

A viperclub member of the washington club named Dave Adkins, already did the calculations regarding the low-negative pressure situation in the NACA duct. His recomendations are followed by most serious road racers who now block of their NACA ducts when they race their vipers. Ask bob Woodhouse, he is one of the racers who did just that.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Will say 2 things about this

1. I got a vipair and im happy with it (looks AND performance)
2.EdmontonGTS is a stand up guy and I do not think he is out to screw anyone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21