overheating again!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its got to be either air or a flaking out WP right? If you can be more detailed in describing the symptoms and changes made, someone may be able to advise.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As DrumrBoy has stated...water pump IS a worry...as I recall, some of the infamous "2001 bad water pump" impeller issues also showed up on some 2000's and at least a few 2002's.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No heat for months but no overheat. Like always up and down. Not really until I get on it does it do it!

So when you are hammering your car, that's when the coolant temperature jumps? If so, that's the water pump. VPA has the Mopars for a good price. Remember to get the gasket too.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid speak = stupid replies. Please hit the smart button when you post.

My guess, based on an inability to have a good understanding of what is wrong with your car, is your car needs something fixed.

Signed, Dave, Captain of the stupid reply team.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had to guess, he is saying he did not have any cabin heat for the past few months but the car never overheated. The temperature gauge was erratic going up and down. The car overheats when he gets on it (heavy load).
If this is the case and I guessed correctly, I say there is still air in the system since he had no heat. I would first try and burp the system again and attempt to get the air out. If no success, then I would suspect the water pump.

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suggest checking the fluid level and color plus that the thermostat operates.

When the fluid level gets low, even if you burp it, air gets back into the system. If there is not water in the overflow, then this will happen, I have seen it several times.

Also, if the fluid is orange in color, that may speak to a potential radiator issue, definitely start by flushing the fluid and see if it improves. If there is any metal flakes then it is also possible they would block your thermostat from operating properly similar to hair in a drain.

Before replacing the water pump, I would definitely check the thermostat, that would stop cabin heat from working and would certainly cause overheating under load, it is also less expensive and easier to replace than a water pump. Plus you can test it in a *** of boiling water and see if it opens to confirm it is working properly.

Good Luck-

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does it make sense to blame the thermostat for no heater AND over temp at the same time? Doesn’t it have to be one or the other if you’re going to pin it to the thermostat? If it isn’t overheating, something has to be circulating. If something is circulating…shouldn’t you eventually have a functioning heater? I don’t understand how the, “The heater core all it did was puke out more!” ties in.

Siding with Dave on this one…this is too frustrating to read. FAIL. This guy needs to proof read his post.

OP
OP

2000gtsgsxr1000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave sucksucksuck and Scottsmartass I need help not assholes! Jerry knew what I was talking about. I had no interior heat for months but never did overheat until now! Some burping says to go to the heater core to burp and when I did it just let more out. The last time I burped it I didn't go that route. Everytime I burp it it gets better so I don't think it's the pump. I think I'm close just a air pocket somewhere. Thanks for all who helped. I'm trying again to see what happens. Fans good, stat opens when should, gets better everytime and ambient temp is coming up.

OP
OP

2000gtsgsxr1000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also I never smelled coolant or saw any. The only time I saw coolant was when I filled the fasia reservior from the tank above it from the overflow hose on the tank and the cap was on the fascia tank. Should it not leak and be sealed or is there a overflow on it?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave sucksucksuck and Scottsmartass I need help not assholes! Jerry knew what I was talking about. I had no interior heat for months but never did overheat until now! Some burping says to go to the heater core to burp and when I did it just let more out. The last time I burped it I didn't go that route. Everytime I burp it it gets better so I don't think it's the pump. I think I'm close just a air pocket somewhere. Thanks for all who helped. I'm trying again to see what happens. Fans good, stat opens when should, gets better everytime and ambient temp is coming up.

language !!!...sheesh

OP
OP

2000gtsgsxr1000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that all you got? What a shallow person! I'm not applying for a job. I need help! Did you help? No you need to get a life! You need thrown off here! I didn't offened you! Thanks for more aggravation dick! I'll figure it out on my own! Ya best do a spell check *******!

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some guys here have said to elevate the front of their Viper and burp out of the pressurized coolant tank, not the heater core.

Hope you get the air purged out.

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is that all you got? What a shallow person! I'm not applying for a job. I need help! Did you help? No you need to get a life! You need thrown off here! I didn't offened you! Thanks for more aggravation dick! I'll figure it out on my own! Ya best do a spell check *******!

:eater:

Okay, but seriously. First off, and DO NOT get offended by this. You know that heat ONLY comes from the foot well/defrosters, right? Not the "main" vents? Did you know that? Could that be the cause of the "no heat for months"? Second, when is the last time you changed/flushed the coolant? Id say flush it, change it and see what happens.

+1 on the elevate the front.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:eater:

Okay, but seriously. First off, and DO NOT get offended by this. You know that heat ONLY comes from the foot well/defrosters, right? Not the "main" vents? Did you know that? Could that be the cause of the "no heat for months"?

jeez, i hope that was it....LOL

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like you have two overheating problems now. A shrink is a bit more expensive than most auto mechanics, so my advice would send you to the latter, get the car fixed, stay away from the board, and then maybe the other will fix itself. Good luck with that.

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is you fans on your radiator coming on? If so what temp? Look for anything blocking the radiator. replace thermostat just in case. Does it do it while driving or sitting or both?

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please continue as this is extremely entertaining. And when the waterpump started to fail in my 2000 rt, I started to notice it when hammering the car. eventually the impeller completely gave out.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you people helping this ****?

'Cause he is a fellow Viper guy who started out just asking a question. I agree that the question was hard to understand and that internet forum protocol says flame the b@st@rd if he don't talk right. At least that's the protocol amongst the teen crowd and the Civic jockeys. Yeah, I sometimes get a bit peeved at bad writing skills; but, I prefer not to insult strangers. They end up offended and that's not my hobby.

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm sorry if I offended you. I wasn't trying to be shallow, I was busting your balls. It was a pithy, abrasive, yet logical analysis on your attempt to convey information. You may know what you wrote, but not everybody can decipher 2000gtsgsxr1000anese…except Jerry…but he’s a busy guy and can’t be your private interpreter. If you read over the posts, there are several people here that don’t know what on Earth you’re talking about. So, RELAX! Just because you’re not at a job interview doesn’t mean you can bat away on your keyboard like a monkey and expect everybody to know what you mean. Oh, and if you look at what I wrote, I did try and help. I was trying to rule out your thermostat as the point of failure…before getting lost in a hurricane of grammatical travesty. I won’t comment on this again. Good luck on burping your system.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte