Paint on a Viper

jjbondzio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found a blue and white GTS for an amazing price, the only thing that I am fishy about is that the guy spent $4500 to get the car repainted. It has not been in any accidents or anyhting jsut said that the exhauset pipes that run along the side of the car are sometimes a problme and the common rock chips. My quesiton is that is it still ok to buy the car or is it a bad Idea if it has been repainted. Its a 97 in perfect condition all stock except the exhaust with 21k miles on it and he said he would take $32k cash for it as his wife is wanting him to get rid of it due to having to many toys and haveing kids. Your imput is greatly appreciated.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you know that the Viper wasn't in any accidents? If the rockers get chipped, scrapped and/or yellow due to the heat from the exhaust components then repainting the sills is not uncommon but why paint the entire car? :dunno: Get a quality and experienced Viper Tech to inspect the car maybe even a body shop to check the paint.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to disagree with Tony, but if you have the cash why not repaint the entire car if the sills need it? Usually the front fascia will by then too, and depending on other influences there may be some defects all around. The guy is married. Or at least has a wife. Does he have kids? Was there access to the car by those kids or maybe by others that don't know what keepTF off means? It could have been that the smart thing to do for some spot panel repair was a full repaint. Nothing wrong with that, and will only devalue the car to a purist. But then again, the car has been sat in so no purist would buy it. :lmao:

Now to agree with Tony... Get the car up in the air and have it thoroughly looked over by someone that knows what they are doing and looking at.

What area are you in?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to disagree with Tony, but if you have the cash why not repaint the entire car if the sills need it?

Because I'm cheap and the power of cheapness compels me! :lmao: I agree with you though, if the newly painted sills don't match the rest of the car might as well just paint the whole car. I forget that the 97's, for example, are 12 years old now and probably can use some fresh paint if they haven't been garage queens or driven the way they were meant to. Nothing wrong with. But it's in my nature to be cheap and skeptical. :D

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found a blue and white GTS for an amazing price, the only thing that I am fishy about is that the guy spent $4500 to get the car repainted. It has not been in any accidents or anyhting jsut said that the exhauset pipes that run along the side of the car are sometimes a problme and the common rock chips. My quesiton is that is it still ok to buy the car or is it a bad Idea if it has been repainted. Its a 97 in perfect condition all stock except the exhaust with 21k miles on it and he said he would take $32k cash for it as his wife is wanting him to get rid of it due to having to many toys and haveing kids. Your imput is greatly appreciated.

i have heard that story a ton of times,i think the guy is full of crap!!!!!!!and what a wimp he is,my wife doest tell me what i can or cant do...get the car checked out by a body shop..

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sounds like an old thread on here where a guy advertised a 97 GTS as one of the original B/W cars and said it had had a first class repaint done on it but forgot to mention the repaint had changed it to red. The guy flew to look at the car and was really PO'd. It kind of looks like the guy would have mentioned that.

I ran a Mazda Tribute off the road and thru the shrubs one time and it did no mechanical or body damage (dents), but did put fine scratches through the clearcoat and into the paint on every panel to where the whole thing needed to be repainted.

A quality paint job on a 97 may be much better than the original factory paint. Then again, it can be much worse.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sounds like an old thread on here where a guy advertised a 97 GTS as one of the original B/W cars and said it had had a first class repaint done on it but forgot to mention the repaint had changed it to red. The guy flew to look at the car and was really PO'd. It kind of looks like the guy would have mentioned that.

I ran a Mazda Tribute off the road and thru the shrubs one time and it did no mechanical or body damage (dents), but did put fine scratches through the clearcoat and into the paint on every panel to where the whole thing needed to be repainted.

A quality paint job on a 97 may be much better than the original factory paint. Then again, it can be much worse.

THat is what I was thinking to Sdaddy. Is the car in the San Francisco area?