Pic's of EBC Green Brake pads...

SteveMat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pic\'s of EBC Green Brake pads...

Anyone have any pictures of EBC's Greens installed on their Viper? To put it simple, a local dealer in Charlotte made my life hell while doing the 998 recall and to make up for it offered to put EBC Green's on the car and bleed the brakes (to make a long story short it took them 23 days to get the recall right). Anyhow, I thought you could see part of the green EBC's when installed but I don't see any green. Is there an easy way to tell that they are EBC green without pulling them off?

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Pic\'s of EBC Green Brake pads...

Basically, you cannot see the EBCs on the front...Which is consistent with what I have been told...I believe on the rear they are visible...

For mine, depending on the position of the wheel, I had to insert the automotive equivalent of a dental mirror (come on, tell me you don't have one) and shine a light inside the wheel directly on the top of the caliper, then there they were, the EBC greens...

Did they do all 4? Not to alarm you, but what were the problems they had...If it was a parts issue OK...If it was workmanship, I would be inclined to get your car checked by another tech who has done several (many) recalls and comes recommended by some members...

Labour to install the EBCs on the front is minimal...I did it in my garage, real simple and quick procedure...It did not cost them much in labour...

Tomer

OP
OP
SteveMat

SteveMat

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I will have to pilferage a dental mirror from somewhere and check. The workmanship was OK but basically my car sat outside for three days before they started working on it and they didn't get it back to me by the time they promised. To make things worse, the bodyshop (where the recall was done) apparently doesn't get along with the service shop (where the alignment has to be done) and I was stuck in the middle while they flubbered around. Needless to say the guy at the bodyshop did a good job of the actual welds and rivets... They did all four but my faith in their honestly has dwindled.

BTW - Stay away from Metrolina Dodge on South Blvd in Charlotte
pissed.gif

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The rear pads are easy to see......I need to pull mine off and paint over that nasty green color. Just look thru your rear wheel and the pad is visable in the middle horseshoe area of the caliper and you can see it sticking out both sides of the caliper. If you need a pic let me know. ta

Bhuns16

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The rear pads are visable from 10 - 15 feet away from the car. You can barely see the fronts even if you basically kiss the wheel. The green doesn't look too bad. Then again my car is blue and the pads are kind of an aqua. I don't know how they would look on a red car. Good luck.

OP
OP
SteveMat

SteveMat

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am not seeing any green? Do you have a picture of what it is supposed to look like?

Here is mine...
EBC'sOrNot.JPG

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve, those are not ebc greens (unless they were painted black for you - doubt it). I have posted many times here how horrible the service/treatment of local dealers are here. I would raise hell over being lied to about the brakes.....

Call or email me. We still need to hook up for that beer...

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As already stated, unless the dealer sprayed them black for you, those are NOT the EBC Greens, which are VERY green in color. Providing they've been installed as recommended, and you have a good bed-in, the EBC's will be very quiet and you will notice a SIGNIFICANT reduction in the usual dust. You'll have a much better idea very soon.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You got screwed...at least on the rears. The rears don't dust up near as much as the fronts so it would be hard to tell by the dust.

ebcgreens.jpg

also are my 1996 wheels clear coated? What are the center caps made of?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Man, I trekked all the way out to the garage and Tony beat me to it!
laugh.gif

You must be registered for see images

<FONT COLOR="green">Green, green, and more green!</FONT c>

Chris

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SteveMat...I don't want to defend the Dealership, but it is possible they only installed em on the front....I would check with them before you conclude you got totally hosed...

Have them put your car on the hoist and show you some GREEN!!

TOmer

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just ordered a set of EBC pads from Jon at the Partsrack, and he suggested getting EBC greens for the front, and EBC reds for the rear. The front pads are supposed to be hidden by the calipers, and as shown by the pics the rear pads can be seen in full green (or red glory).

He said that beyond the cosmetics of the color, the reds have a bit more bite which helps the smallish stock Viper rear calipers utilize the big meats out back to help a bit more in braking.

-Dean.

OP
OP
SteveMat

SteveMat

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for pic's...

Mine was from the passenger rear so I take it they are NOT EBC Green's. They told me they would do all four but I'll be asking them today.

To vent, I love my Viper but I will probably never own another Dodge product again. Funny how one dealership can totally ruin it.

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't have a picture here but on the 97, you can see the front
pads very easily.... the metal carrier of the pad will be
harder to see than what the rear brakes look like but on
the front you look for the pad that is in contact with the
rotor... the face of the pad is not green but the rest of
the pad ( sides ) are very green and can be seen very easily...
the pad should look like it is about 1/2 inch thick and very
green, very green when new.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SteveMat...Don't let one dealership affect your outlook on life so much...Again, not to defend all dodge products, but *some* of them are awesome...Keep the faith, get another dealer to work with...

Viper's Rule!

Tomer
Oh, I guess I have that covered with my license plate...

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>but are the EBC reds low dust too?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reds are supposed to have 50% of the dust of the stock pads, but are not as dust-free as the greens. But my rears already dust much less than the fronts, and having the extra grab of the reds out back is a good tradeoff for me. I'll see for sure soon.

-Dean.

OP
OP
SteveMat

SteveMat

Enthusiast
Reaction score

After talking to the shop they claim ignorance and stated that NAPA (where they ordered them from because it is not a normal Dodge part) gave an equivalent part number and not actual EBC's. They are re-ordering the EBC's and having them drop shipped.

I am thinking I will install these myself as scheduling with this dealership is near impossible. Any tricks to doing the front and back pads. Do I need any special tools or anyone have any big do's or don'ts'. From using the search button it appears it is not that big of a deal.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If Jon B. is out there, can you chime in about the Green front/Red back suggestion? Pro's/Cons? Do the reds heat up slower, or vice-versa? Any chance of rear lock-up with this combo? (I dobut it). I can't stand the fact that the Viper has sooooo much front bias vs. rear, and short of a Stop-Tech Big Brake upgrade, what are our options?

Sorry if this topic has been beat to death, but I'm hoping for new suggestions/developments. (I know about the spring removal). Of course, if anyone has a used Stop Tech Big Brake (Front) upgrade kit, let me know. I've about had it with the stock brakes, but I can't afford a new Stop Tech kit.... Now used, I might be able to swing....

Here's a silly idea that will be laughed at.... Since the Stop Techs mainly reduce our front braking effort to get the desired effect (I think), why can't we shave an exact amount of the brake pad itself off the left and right sides (or top/bottom). Stock caliper, but smaller braking area due to reduced pad size. Or better yet, develop a smaller pad that will fit in the stock caliper.

OK. Everyone laugh at this STUPID idea, but why wouldn't it work? I realize it would take a lot of trial/error to get the balance right, but why wouldn't it work?

grazy.gif

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by onerareviper:
Here's a silly idea that will be laughed at.... Since the Stop Techs mainly reduce our front braking effort to get the desired effect (I think), why can't we shave an exact amount of the brake pad itself off the left and right sides (or top/bottom). Stock caliper, but smaller braking area due to reduced pad size. Or better yet, develop a smaller pad that will fit in the stock caliper.

OK. Everyone laugh at this STUPID idea, but why wouldn't it work? I realize it would take a lot of trial/error to get the balance right, but why wouldn't it work?

grazy.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I am laughing. It has to do with high school physics. Force distributed over the surface area and coefficient of friction is why your idea won't work. If you reduce the surface area, it just increases the force per unit area. You can put a lower coefficient of friction pad and/or reduce the force on the front pads. Or just increase the pressure to the rear pads with proportioning changes.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I replaced my 00 GTS stock pads w/new pads from Dodge and guess what - basically no more brake dust.

Did Brembo make some kind of running change?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960