Pilot sports VS. Pilot Sports 2? which one.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well what feedback between PS and PS2? I like good traction but also am concerned about wear as car is mostly street....
thanks...

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had PS2's installed on my '96. I have known the store owner for some 20 years and fully trust his opinion. Basically, according to him for street use, pick the one you like the looks of the best. Do a search for Michelin tires and you can see the difference in tread design. There was only $2 per tire difference. FYI, mine were $1500 mounted, balanced, tax, complete

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed from Michelin Run Flats to Non Run Flats. I also put on sidewinder wheels which saved 38 lbs. The tires saved 10 lbs. At 32 psi all around the car has a much softer ride, handles worlds better, and is quiter. On the street I feel this is the only way to go.

Robbie

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plus I paid $319 per tire for non run flats from discount tire. I believe it was a one time opportunity and I snatched it up.

I do not believe they make PS2 in 345-19

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a very good price. Tire Rack gets $295 front and $416 rear. Michelin does not make PS2 in non run flat but the tread looks the same, front and rear.
Robbie

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Run flats and handling? What an oxymoron...

Run flats are too heavy and hurt handling on any car.

The Michelin PS are a good all around tire that will give you some very predictable break away characteristics. Their wear factor is harder and the tire will last longer than a PS2. If you drive in wet and dry weather, this is probably a better tire for you.You can probably expectto get about 10,000 miles out of these tires (unless you do track days or drive very aggressively).

The PS2's are basically Michelin's attempt to put out a stickier performance tire that is comparable to the old MXX3's. The tire has excellant cornering characteristics and you can actually heat them up and get them sticky on track days.They are designed primarily for dry performance. You can probably expect to get 6,000 to 8,000 miles out of a set of these. I plan on getting the PS2's for my next set.

The Sport Cups are the DOT legal racing tire that is comparable to the Kumho Ecsta V700's (only much better). Don't expect much wear on these tires, because they aren't designed with that in mind.

I usually will wear out my rear tires almost twice as fast as my fronts.... keep in mind that I have some pretty good camber and toe adjustments dialed into my alignment.

I hope that this answerss your questions.

Take care,

Brad

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to disagree but the PS2 is not designed to be anything like the MXX3 and both the PS2 and the original Pilot Sport out handle the MXX3 .... in it's day the MXX3 was a very good handling tire but, the technology in the Pilot Sport and Pilot Sport PS2 gives them much more ability in both dry and wet

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So is the PS better than the PS2 in the dry? Seems the PS has more rubber touching the ground than a PS2. The PS2 is stickier in the dry?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a follow up on the Michelin PS NON run flat tires I mounted on out test mule viper. As I had said above the Michelin PS NON run flats have been the best tire I have run so far in the STOCK tire size for the car. I now have 2500 miles on them and no signs of wear. Everyone who has gone for a ride asks me what I did to the car as it out corners and rides soffter than the Michelin Run Flats.

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the proof is out there ... just look at the 1 Lap of America results

Tire Rack Wet Skid Pad Overall & Class Winners
(Track and OLoA Record - 0.930g)

SSGT1 Big Bore
Brian Smith
'06 Dodge [******] Viper
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

SSGT1 Small Bore
Chuck Veth
'91 Porsche 911 Turbo
Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07

SSGT2 Big Bore
William Woebkenberg
'07 Ford - SVT Shelby GT500
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

SSGT2 Small Bore
Steve Calder
'88 Dodge Daytona CS
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Luxury Sedan
T. C. Klein
'06 BMW M5
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Mid-Priced Sedan
John Haley
'04 Dodge Neon
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Vintage American
Michael Zoner
'81 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
Pole Position with UNI-T

Vintage Foreign
David Goodman
'79 Porsche 930
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Economy Car
Markus Pizzali
'81 Chevrolet Cavalier
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Truck/SUV
Erich Heuschele
'06 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico

Retro Car
Robert Dubler
'06 Chevrolet HHR
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Alternative Fuel
Brian Makse
'05 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx

Tire Rack Dry Skid Pad Overall & Class Winners

SSGT1 Big Bore
Danny Popp
'02 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
1.080 1.080 (Ties Track Record - 1.080g and sets New OLoA Record )

SSGT1 Small Bore
Chris Novak
'05 Noble M400
Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07

SSGT2 Big Bore
William Woebkenberg
'07 Ford - SVT Shelby GT 500
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

SSGT2 Small Bore
Steve Calder
'88 Dodge Daytona CS
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Luxury Sedan
T. C. Klein
'06 BMW M5
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Mid-Priced Sedan
Martin Musial
'04 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 8
KUMHO ECSTA MX

Vintage American
Michael Zoner
'81 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
Pole Position with UNI-T

Vintage Foreign
David Goodman
'79 Porsche 930
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Econo Car
Bryan Johnson
'06 Honda Civic Si
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Truck/SUV
Erich Heuschele
'06 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 8
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico

Retro Car
Stu Sacks
'04 Volkswagon Beetle
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Alternative Fuel
Brian Makse
'05 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So if I need tires for my 99rt/10, go with PS2? How much lighter are they then run flat and how do they compare to a softer tire for launches like the kuhmo's?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So to dumb this down Luke,
Am I to understand that the PS2 is better in both wet and dry conditions than the OE PS, but that I should expect slightly more treadwear as the trade-off?

sparty116

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put a set of PS2's 17's on my GTS and they are way beter than my old PS and even the way old MXX3.

IMO, the PS was a terrible dry tire and the MXX3 was a far more sticky tire. With the PS2, I think Michelin found a tire with wet traction like the PS, but better dry traction than the MXX3. I don't drive in the rain, so I don't care about wet traction.

So,

PS2>MXX3>PS

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just put a set of PS2's 17's on my GTS and they are way beter than my old PS and even the way old MXX3.
However, a new performance tire is going to be a lot stickier than a tire that is two or more years old, so its often hard to compare. This isn't so true with normal 70k mile passenger cars, but is the case with higher performance tires, and is a critical factor in track tires. For example, a three or four year Hoosier R3S03 is, in my opinion, not as sticky as a new PS/Pirelli Pzero/etc. Yet a new Hoosier R3S03 is a LOT stickier than any of those, when new.

I just replaced the rear Pilot Sport's on my RT with a new pair of Pilot Sport's (18" wheels, PS2's not an option yet); the new PS's are twice as sticky than a buddy's X-year old MXX3's (since they haven't made MXX3's for 8? years, I assume that is how old his tires are). All of the reports I've read have the PS's and PS2's pretty much the same. So, the real question might be: have you compared *new* Pilot Sport 2's to *new* Pilot Sports?

sparty116

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes,

PS to PS2 is no comparison. The PS are a very hard tire and I used to spin all over the place on them. The PS2 is noticeably stickier.

My old, worn out MXX3's got better traction than the PS when I got them.

While the old PS look cool, they are a terrible tire IMO. PS2 all the way. It is simply a newer, better designed tire.

sparty116

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine were on back order for 3 months, so I'm not sure how long the wait will be for 18's. I'd wait though.

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Luke,
Are we going to see PS2's in SRT-10 sizes: 345/30/ZR19 and 275/35/ZR18 and, if so, when?

if I had to guess I would say "yes" but, I have no idea as to when

jpas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To give you an idea of how soft the PS2 tires are, I put on a new set and did 600 miles of light street driving with no burn-outs or real high g corners. I just measured them, and the rears are now at 8/32", new they are 10/32.

The real reason I measured them was I have a bulge in one of the side walls, and my local Discount Tire is going to pro-rate the value of the tire and give me a new one for $50.00 installed. Not bad considering I did not buy them from Discount!

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To give you an idea of how soft the PS2 tires are, I put on a new set and did 600 miles of light street driving with no burn-outs or real high g corners. I just measured them, and the rears are now at 8/32", new they are 10/32.

So you're saying the PS2s, driven normally with no abuse, will only last around 3000 miles?? :confused:

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
under normal use you can expect 12,000 - 20,000 out of them .... my wife would probably get 25k .... me on the other hand 5k

viperrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The real reason I measured them was I have a bulge in one of the side walls, and my local Discount Tire is going to pro-rate the value of the tire and give me a new one for $50.00 installed. Not bad considering I did not buy them from Discount!

Bulges, interesting, I had PS-2's on a SRT6 and had two of them develop this problem. Luke, is this a common problem with these tires? Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21