Please Help ! Stripped Acorn Wheel Nut

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While finishing up my Eibach install (story and pics later), I ended up stripping 2 of my acorn wheel nuts. I guess I used slightly larger socket and it stripped the edges of the acorn nut so they will not grip. Any idea how I can get them to turn??? Thanks in advance

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are cheap acorn nuts and appear to be covered in very soft aluminum cover over the real nut... I wonder if the cover can be removed...

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peel the "tin" cap off and get a 6 point metric socket (I forgot the size) and remove the nut. This is fairly common in the MOPAR World. It shappened to me a few times over the years.

Steve A.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, sears has a stripped nut removal tool, it's basically a reverse thread tool that goes over the bad nut and has a tapered conical thread to grip and backs it off. You may also find a socket that grips the flat portion of the nut instead of the "corners", these have a rounded look and look similar to a childrens drawing of a flower, just rounded petals.....hope this helps.

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are awesome! Thank you for the quick reply. I will try to remove the cover first. If that fails, i will try the removal tool.

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If those don't work, take an 1/2" drive impact socket that is slightly smaller than nut itself and hammer it on. then, just take your breaker bar and loosen it.

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg - that was actually suggested by John Purner. Now, can I just use regular socket or is that just asking for more trouble?

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you guys do this with the stock 18" rims. The nut is pretty recessed into the rim so the available tools and methods must be more limiting and not as easy as removing the outer jacket. I had good luck one time putting on a smaller metric sized impact socket and went at it with the impact wrench but that was with a Neon and I had a little access to the tip of the nut. After that I bought the all one piece metal McGard tough nuts so that will not happen again. I saw this happen many times at Viperdays events on track wheels using the stock nuts but they were easy to get at, not like the 99 and up stock rims.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The above is out of my service manual.
I use a 3/4 @ 100ft lbs and haven't had a problem. What happened bro?

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg - that was actually suggested by John Purner. Now, can I just use regular socket or is that just asking for more trouble?

No, you want to use an impact socket rather than a regular one. Impact sockets are generally black in color and they have much thicker walls for more strength.

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg - thanks!

Tracy - all went well until I freaking stripped 2 of my nuts :laugh: I have yet to even drive the car but I will soon. Thanks again for all of your help

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No problem buddy. Stripping two outta 24 is not bad I guess LOL. I mean how many nuts does one really need?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC