Possible cause of overheating

Jim Peffers

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am posting this in hopes that it may save someone a lot of aggravation. I am 55 and have been working with all types of machinery most of my life and have seen all kinds of weird $hit. One of the strangest was one of my early muscle cars, a 1960 Corvette, that was overheating. It exhibited all the same symptoms that a Viper discussed on this board had. It would overheat at low engine speeds and would slowly return to normal at higher engine speeds.
I flushed the radiator, the block, replaced the thermostat and waterpump - checked eveything I could check; nothing helped. I was sitting in the shop one evening drinking a beer and thinking about the car and analyzing the problem part-by-part. It occurred to me that I had checked everthing except the hoses which looked and felt OK. So I emptied the radiator fluid and pulled off the hoses.
Radiator hoses have a laminated type of construction and on close examination, I found that the inner layer of one of the hoses had separated and was saging down into the interior of the hose and thereby impeding the flow at low engine speeds and causing the engine to overheat. At higher engine speeds, the water pump was powerful enough to force enough coolant past the blockage to allow the engine to cool down. I want to stress that on the outside, the hose looked and felt normal. Incidently, the hose was almost new - it was a manufacturing defect.
After reading all of the discussion on this board concerning a Viper overheating; it seems to me that the only logical answer is that there must be a blockage somewhere in the cooling system - everthing else has been checked. It could be the hoses, a bad gasket that has slipped out of position, a glob of gasket cement or even a casting defect somewhere in the engine.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, that's a great find and it's nice of you to post your experience!

However, you may just have to retype your post again in caps for your message to be fully understood ;) .

OP
OP
J

Jim Peffers

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Steve, sorry I missed you at the VOI. We got to get together one of these days. BTW: Just bought a Y2k Silver Prowler - nice car; wife will probably drive it most of the time.

Forgot to mention that squeezing radiator hoses when hot (as in burping), could cause delamination if done too often or too hard especially if the hose is getting old. :usa:

P.S. Can't use the "caps lock" key - it has a glob of hardened gasket cement wedged beneath it.
Damn, I hate it when that happens. :)

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, that's a great find and it's nice of you to post your experience!

However, you may just have to retype your post again in caps for your message to be fully understood ;) .

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, I was going to post a similar problem I had on a previous car. On a brand new car, won't mention the make, the hose still had a plastic cap that they use to keep dirt out of new hoses stuck inside it. My car overheated, blew up the hose to the heater core and burnt my leg! Just by luck when pulling off some hoses myself I noticed something inside one of the hoses and found that a hose cap was lodged inside it.

Like your problem, the pump could push enough water by it with higher rpm but at idle it was pretty much closed.

I would have suggested this to the infamous poster of the over heating problem but after reading all his posts I decided to respond slightly differently!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte