power steering cap off

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About a month ago after auto crossing I opened the hood to find the power steering pump cap off and setting on the frame brace, I had checked it a week or so earlier and figured I forgot to put it back on and was lucky I did loose it. Today we had timing issue so I ran 5 runs right after another and the viper was a little warm so I opened the hood during my work set and found the cap off again and in the same place. I know I did not take it off this time? Is this a know problem? What do i do to fix it? If it matters it a 2K RT-10.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IIRC there is a zip tie fix and there used to be a product sold to fix this. i actually have it on mine.

i think viperspray did the zip tie thing, ask him

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
blimey your lucky you didnt set your viper on fire!
power steering fluid spilling on the headers has been the cause of quite a few fires in vipers

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Roe vent-tube-based tie down is a cheap and easy fix. Definitely secure it.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EEEkkk.... that's a car fire waiting to happen. Hope you get it fixed soon.

RoyV101621

Enthusiast
Reaction score
per str cap

Some of us old timers place a hose clamp around the pw str cap. The clamp will firm up the fit. The tail of the clamp might keep the cap from backing off to far. I wish I had a photo with me.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: per str cap

Happens to me all the time when road racing, simplest solution is take a pair of 10"-12" channel locks and tighten the crap out of it, it never fell off again.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An easier fix is to drill a small hole in the cap and safety wire it to something. I did it to mine and haven't had a problem since. When the cap comes off, power steering fluid comes out and gets on the exhaust which causes you to watch in horror as your baby burns to the ground.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My god, this power steering fire LEGEND comes back once again.......not true. NOT!!!!

Clean and dry the threads on cap and on reservoir.
Tighten with a shop-towel. Tight.
Use good, clean, synthetic fluid.

If you have so much vibration to lose the cap, check the PULLEY and its BRACKET.... those are a repeat problem area! FACT.

DONT install a vent kit that pukes any fluid down under your flipping TIRES fer chrissakes!!! [Think About It for .5 seconds....]

Be Safe......

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My god, this power steering fire LEGEND comes back once again.......not true. NOT!!!!

Clean and dry the threads on cap and on reservoir.
Tighten with a shop-towel. Tight.
Use good, clean, synthetic fluid.

If you have so much vibration to lose the cap, check the PULLEY and its BRACKET.... those are a repeat problem area! FACT.

DONT install a vent kit that pukes any fluid down under your flipping TIRES fer chrissakes!!! [Think About It for .5 seconds....]

Be Safe......

Thanks Jon. As long as I have been in the Viper hobby I find I learn something new all the time. I have seen those "vent tubes" on several Vipers. It does in fact send fluid toward the tire.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But, without the vent tube thingy, does vented fluid go to a safer place than with the tube? (I hadn't heard of the issue of fluid comeing out; but, can picture it happening.)

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unreal to suggest that there is enough fluid puking out the ****** of the power steering cap....that it would even go up another 2 inches with a vent tube on....and then that there is enough in the reservoir to spill all over the tires. Think about it. If there is that much fluid spraying out the reservoir...without anything on the cap ******...it would spray all over, down he sides of the reservoir and onto the slippery tires.

Give me a break. Just change your fluid regularly and put something on that keeps the cap from falling off. Whatever it is.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The vent tube doesn't create a leaking point for goodness sake. Its a vent tube not a purge tube! The main purpose of the tube is to serve as a tie down point for the cap....not to gush brake fluid on tires!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeez some of you are way over thinking this, problem: power steering cap rattles off, solution: take a set of channel locks at tighten it up real tight, result: it won't rattle off anymore....tried, true and proven.....sheesh!!!!! :rolleyes:

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS Cap Cover

Some of us old timers place a hose clamp around the pw str cap.
I prefer simple solutions too, so I sliced a section from a blown bicycle inner tube and placed it around the PS cap. There is plenty of grip against the reservoir, assuring no loosening. If I wanted to be super neat and tidy, I'd give it a tighter circumcision. :scared1:
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach