Power Steering --Vibration through Steeing Wheel---Normal???

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '03 SRT-10 Vert......Relative newbie to Vipers (about 2 months). As I was driving it more and more and as the temperature in Texas is increasing, notice (of course) the fan is now kicking in a little more frequently. I started to notice some very slight 'vibration' through the steering wheel and a little tighter/tougher to steer at slow speeds and when pulling in the garage, etc. Well, researched/popped the hood and yes, I figured out the power steering pump/fluid drives the fan as well. (Stupid me, thought it was electronic fan).

So, I thought this must be normal, right??? That when the fan is on and the fluid is moving and driving/powering the fan, that you will feel some slight vibration in/through the wheel. I hope you all tell me this is normal as opposed to a power steering pump on its way to failure.

And Yes, I checked the Power Steering fluid level while it was 'hot' and it is completely full ----Also, check the fluid in the morning when 'cold' and it has enough fluid---

Vehicle is an '03 and I am seriously considering changing out ALL fluids as who knows---it was a 1 owner with 3900 miles on it when I bought it---so maybe original power steering fluid?? Checked with a paper towel, it's color and it was not clear, little bit of brownish (not black), but it wasn't clear.

Viper Expertise out there---please help a newbee out here.....Lastly, no noise(s) when fully locking out the steering wheel and only vibrates with the fan on (which I assume b/c a load is being put on the pump to drive the fan).........

See, what I need is 'multiple' vipers in the garage like some of you and a brand new one--so I can test my theories out:) :)
greg

Last edited:

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 04 gets a vibration thru the steering wheel when the fan kicks in when it gets warm. I believe a slight vibration is normal, but if it gets excessive it may be the fan being bad or damaged. Sadly the Gen III fan is Twice as expensive as the GEN IV fans.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was talking about the fan drive motor assembly which is driven by the ps pump. Ps steering pumps van be had for $72 new. But if you can't get the pulley off they are another $200. I believe your problem is the fan.

OP
OP
TexasTorred

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was talking about the fan drive motor assembly which is driven by the ps pump. Ps steering pumps van be had for $72 new. But if you can't get the pulley off they are another $200. I believe your problem is the fan.

Thanks. Thinking about the vibration (no weird noises), no ps leaks, fluid levels good...vibration only when fan kicks on, etc.....I think you're right. May be the fan driven by the pump. And yes, I figured this is going to be steep $$$. We'll see. Go in for a oil/filter and some basic maintenance here shortly.....Sounds like 'basic may turn into 'advanced' maintenance:)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This does not AT ALL conclusively signal a bad pump or cooling module, AKA hydraulic cooling fan module. A slight vibration is 100% normal when the fan duty cycle rises to a high level, such as A/C on and/or very warm outside at idle. You are feeling the hydraulic pressure control "pulsing" to adjust the PWM duty cycle of the hydraulic fan motor.

Unless you have a sudden loss of fan/power steering performance, metal particles in the power steering fluid, or leaks, I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP
TexasTorred

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This does not AT ALL conclusively signal a bad pump or cooling module, AKA hydraulic cooling fan module. A slight vibration is 100% normal when the fan duty cycle rises to a high level, such as A/C on and/or very warm outside at idle. You are feeling the hydraulic pressure control "pulsing" to adjust the PWM duty cycle of the hydraulic fan motor.

Unless you have a sudden loss of fan/power steering performance, metal particles in the power steering fluid, or leaks, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback/response. Sure hope you are right and I tend to think what I'm feeling through the wheel is 'normal.' Wish I had more experience with/driving Vipers as this is my first one. (Or had access to drive / experience someone else's to cross-check that it's 'normal.' Anyway, appreciate your responses. I took time tonight at half-time of watching the soon to be world champion Dallas Mavericks, to check the fan blades (all there and looked ok, no leaks anywhere of P/S fluid). it is hotter than you know what outside in Texas and when driving during the day. I did idle the car and turn on the A/C full blast----and yes, this is the culprit generating the vibration. (Turn A/C on, fan cycles on and the vibration is felt through the wheel. Turn A/C off, fan cycles off and vibration seems to dissipate. I also turned/locked the wheels from side to side, no vibration with the A/C and the fan off.........So, either this light vibration is 'normal' OR perhaps, cooling module and big-bucks here I come. Crap. Thinking about taking it to a local Viper Tech and have him take a look. Better safe than sorry. Again, it is a light vibration / feeling through the wheel with the fan on --almost feels like low of P/S fluid (which it is not). Still LOVE my car though--but Viper Tax here I come..........thanks FINAL GTS.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim's car last week was so bad it was shaking the wheel. Wild feeling at rest. I can imagine it while driving. Probably felt like unbalanced tires.

F

FrgMstr

Yes, it is a hydraulic fan driven off the PS pump. Had my PS pump replaced in March. Drove my car to Kerrville and back this weekend, and I never felt any vibration in the system that I recognized. Did not before the new pump either. If you want to drop by and compare vibration, I will be around all week in north Plano.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, it is a hydraulic fan driven off the PS pump. Had my PS pump replaced in March. Drove my car to Kerrville and back this weekend, and I never felt any vibration in the system that I recognized. Did not before the new pump either. If you want to drop by and compare vibration, I will be around all week in north Plano.

You will NOT notice anything while driving. The only time you can usually feel it is if you are idling, and have the fan running at max, such as A/C on stuck in traffic. You will feel the vibration if you input a slight effort to move the steering wheel. No input and it wont vibrate, too much input and you draw so much system volume to the rack that it largely dampens it back out.

OP
OP
TexasTorred

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks. Definitely want to take you up on your offer. I'm in West Plano.... Appreciate it. I'll PM you........

OP
OP
TexasTorred

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will NOT notice anything while driving. The only time you can usually feel it is if you are idling, and have the fan running at max, such as A/C on stuck in traffic. You will feel the vibration if you input a slight effort to move the steering wheel. No input and it wont vibrate, too much input and you draw so much system volume to the rack that it largely dampens it back out.

Wow, you nailed it. This is exactly what is going on.....Going to get with FrgMstr and see if 'normal' or not ---If not, time to take it to a Viper Tech and $$$$$$$.

Thanks everyone.
greg

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score

+1 Also once u start moving.. all vibration should go away. If not.. you have a problem.

OP
OP
TexasTorred

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got back from vacation, if you like to test drive my car send me a pm. Cheers

Thanks Pedro... Trying to set up a meeting place with FrgMstr this afternoon. Really appreciate the offer. Once I confirm for late this afternoon, I'll PM the location/specifics....if you're interested in meeting us too.

I am trying to meet in Frisco near FrgMstr's house. Love for you to fight some rush-hour-traffic, heat up yours and we'll have a Viper Red Meet-n-greet :) What an A/C, P/S, cooling module party it would be. 3 viper reds....Police will think it's a gang:)

I'll email you. Again, appreciate the help, support from all of you. Hope to hell, I don't embarrass myself and find out this is 'normal.' New to vipers and part of the learning curve for me. Hopefully, not an expensive learning curve. Heh, that's the power of these forums in my opinion. Helping each other out / exchanging info....

greg

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was pretty bad sitting in the parking lot. He had just had the PS pump changed thinking that was the issue. Only started shaking when the fan engaged. Haven't heard the outcome. Not sure if it's resolved.

Now THAT, is absolutely not normal.

Shaking= Big Problem.
Vibration= Normal.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more thing to look at before spending any money. There was a recall C-33 on the cooling fan module back in '03. You should call your local dealer and ask them to run your vin and see if this recall was performed. There was a issue with a check ball in the fan module that could dislodge and cause major issues with the P/S system.

MVP auto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge had a cooling fan/power steering bulletin out on 03. In some cases they would replace the Cooling fan module, powersteering pump and the rack and pinion.
Have your Viper tech look into this.

OP
OP
TexasTorred

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, outstanding. Thank you all. I've got a friend who will help 'run the VIN' to see what's up....and more importantly what was done/not-done at Dodge.

Appreciate ALL OF YOU giving the feedback. Viper Tech said some vibration is normal with all accessories on. (It is a slight vibration through the wheel and probably the cooling module).

Definitely is not a major-steering wheel shaking' when the fan comes on. Just a pulsating/vibration (which may be normal). I've got a couple friends I'm now making here locally, whom I'm going to meet with and check out their cars. As the saying goes, "one man's slight vibration" is another man's "holy crap" --get it fixed :) :)

Again, appeciate all the help and feedback. Current vibration is slight and may be normal, I just don't want some more viper-tax working its way around my rack/pinion and then on up to P/S and then Raynaud's (white finger syndrome) through my hands while driving........

You know that A/C is important to us southerners:))

I'll keep you posted.

P.S. All things considered, I LOVE this car and would not trade it for the world --just need to get her up-to-speed and in great shape mechanically. Cosmetically, it is in Outstanding condition. I am a die-hard MOPAR nut.

greg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang