Probably a really stupid question

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do I clean my engine? Tonight I just took a wet rag and wiped it down. I only cleaned the top portion of it.

Is it safe for me to hose it down? What happens if water gets into those 6" holes on either side of the hood? Is there any type of spray any of you use, that I would hose down afterwards?

Is this question so bad that I should feel ashamed and just sell my Viper? Is the right answer, "Dude, you don't clean your engine, you pay someone else too" hehe

Mike

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though it is a dumb question I was being genuine in asking it...

Mike

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding the holes in the hood. One is fake, the other is for the heat and a/c to draw air through. Some water in there won't hurt, but I would avoid getting lots in there.

I also tape off (from the inside) the little holes that are near the holes you speak off. They are to help drain water. I tape them off to avoid staining the hood pad.

All I have ever used is a damp towell on the engine, but a little Simple Green on a damp towell should work too.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike --

Don't be self conscious about asking any question. This is a website where club members can help each other -- not a site for know-it-alls.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a stupid question. How can anyone learn anything without asking? This board is the best place to get answers.

If you get water in the hood "grills" the speakers will be ruined.

Never use a hose on the engine. The exhaust manifolds are made of candy and they will dissolve if they get wet.

Cleaning the engine with a damp rag will wipe away at least a few horsepower every time you do it.

The best way to clean any part of the Viper is to use a dry cotton cloth held about 1" away from the actual surface to be cleaned.
Never make actual contact with any part of the vehicle.

Like I said, any time you have a question, don't hesitate to ask.

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Man... I already ruined mine then because I can't hear them playing. Damn. How much does it cost for new ones?

Mike

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a stupid question. How can anyone learn anything without asking? This board is the best place to get answers.

Never use a hose on the engine. The exhaust manifolds are made of candy and they will dissolve if they get wet.

Cleaning the engine with a damp rag will wipe away at least a few horsepower every time you do it.

The best way to clean any part of the Viper is to use a dry cotton cloth held about 1" away from the actual surface to be cleaned.
Never make actual contact with any part of the vehicle.

Like I said, any time you have a question, don't hesitate to ask.

To summarize:

Joe's hood speakers still work fine, he has candy headers, his Viper's engine is still "All Powerful" and his Viper is a a little dusty ;)

BarbaraAnn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One time I drove one of our cars somewhere, and my husband asked, "You didn't let anything happen to it, did you?" I answered, "Well, a bird pooped on it, but I licked it off real quick."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang