Problems with aftermarket speedo calibrators?

Alley

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got gears so I have a speedo calibrator under the dash. My last one was really old and last year it started failing on a regular basis. I assumed it was heat related since it was after a while of driving and it gets pretty hot under the dash. The speedo would read 0 until I let it cool.

Anyway I got it replaced and everything was fixed. Well today after a couple hours of driving around just doing errands and stuff right after some spirited exceleration my speedo failed again and red 0 until I shut the car off and restarted.

So is this something that anybody else has had issues with that have speedo calibrators and having them get too hot?

kenmo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did a search on this issue....experiencing the same symptoms as you've explained. I assume I have a speedo calibrator since mine has gears, but I haven't located the actual unit yet. Gonna do some checking this weekend and see what's up. My car starting running a bit rough about the same time the speedo started acting up. She's about to get a full tune up, so I'm gonna do some poking around. Will update you if I find a fix.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got my Unitrax box from JonB.It's installed next to the computer under the hood.Speedo is accurate with all the heat around the box.