Purpose of the exhaust resonator

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the exhaust resonators? Some cars have them, while other cars do not. Has anyone ever taken the resonators off of the Viper to see how the sound changes? If so, what was different? More/less resonance? More/less volume?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you mean "intake" resonators? Gen I's had them, supposedly to reduce the significant noise from the intake as I recall (not sure on this). Gen II's don't have them, which makes sense, as they seemed useless to me.

Vipermann1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with respect to the exhaust resonator:

What happes if you remote the resonator? more/less HP or just to control exhause noise?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed mine and put on the Snake Oil rear sub-assembly. Sounds much better, and the back of the car stays cleaner (from less condensation collecting.)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exhaust systems are designed to quiet a engine, without robbing too much power. Some frequencies are often passed through a muffler. The resonator is specifically designed to deal with these frequencies.
Often times the resonator is required to pass Federal or State noise regulations.
In the case of the Viper, the resonator removal often results in deeper, slightly louder exhausts.
Snake Oyl's system is very popular.
Worst case is that you don't personally like it, and you can put your resonator back on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant