Quaife and 3.73's installed

Proshop

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I have been saving for a while and last week I finally ordered a Quaife and some 3.73's from Mark at Woodhouse. Typical experience in that I got a great deal, he shipped fast and packaged it up great. Marks has been a champ when it comes to answering all my questions and doing it quickly. Thanks!

Ok heres the low down. The Quaife and 3.73s came installed in a diff housing and only required me to drop it in. I started working on it at about 8am and was finished be 10:30am. It was pretty easy to install but I would recommend having a friend to help on the reinstall (which I didn't have) due to it being a PIA to line up the diff while jacking it up with your leg. Now the good stuff. 1st gear it still usable despite what some think. 1st spins as usual but it stays straight as you feather the gas which was odd but welcome. 2nd comes quick and is easy to keep under control when you don't stab the gas plus it stays straight just like 1st. Up next is 3rd and man does this thing pull! If there are any bumps, humps or imperfections in the road the car will break free under full stab, but don't worry it still stays straight. 4th gear once again pulls like a train and surprised me how good it felt. Lastly comes my favorite part. 5th and 6th both pull pretty good! Yes i said 6th pulls, it is a very usable gear now on the highway which makes me happy as can be. I went from never using 6th to using it every time i get to 70mph. When passing people i just give it a little gas in 6th and it lugs right round them. If anyone is thinking about getting gears but think the 3.73s are too steep for the HWY are getting worked up over nothing. These gears are darn near perfect and I will never look back. If locals want to go for a ride to see for yourself if these gears are right for you please PM me. I then went for another drive pretending to be one of my inexperienced friends and gave it the " Im use to driving a 4-cylinder. " throttle push going around the turn at the intersection and to my amazement the car tracked great with no fish tail effect. I was so amazed that I kept doing this harder and harder seeing how the car would react. All I can say is this (Quaife) is about as close to idiot proofing this car as you can get. I cant wait to practice throttling out of corners at the track! Wooo hooo! :D

Last edited:

LynnS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's good to hear you like the Quaife rear-end and lower gears so well. If it's not too much trouble, can you tell us what RPMs at various speeds (say 50, 60, 70) you are turning in 4th, 5th, and 6th gears? Also, from your brief description, it sounds like you changed the rear-end without using a lift; can you elaborate? Thanks

OP
OP
P

Proshop

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No lift indeed. I jacked up the car from the rear jack point and slid 4 2ft 2x12s under each rear tire.
Took off the under body
Put a jack stand on the frame so I could take a tire off.
If you would like a detailed write up I would be more than happy to do so. Just Ask
As for the gears and RPM I will get some real world info tomorrow for 5th and 6th but this will give you the basic #'s

Attachments

• DBp_J-4a05b7473cf92c162348e225d6209e04.jpg
    DBp_J-4a05b7473cf92c162348e225d6209e04.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 73

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see what everyone's complaint about 6th gear is? I always cruise in it around 55 and at 85/90mph I was getting 23mpg. I'm sure for stock car 3.73's are excellent and really wake it up. What mods are done to your car?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see what everyone's complaint about 6th gear is? I always cruise in it around 55 and at 85/90mph I was getting 23mpg.

Same here. I don't see any need to turn higher RPMs when all you're doing is cruising down the road. I guess that's why some folks get 120,000+ out of their cars and others are unloading them after a few years.

OP
OP
P

Proshop

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't see what everyone's complaint about 6th gear is? I always cruise in it around 55 and at 85/90mph I was getting 23mpg. I'm sure for stock car 3.73's are excellent and really wake it up. What mods are done to your car?

Oops, my mods are Corsa, high flow cats, Quaife and 3.73s everything else are just fixes to little issues like shifter, motor/tranny mounts, 6-points and hardwired V1.

Zen, if you cruise in 6th at 55mph you might have some gears already! lol thats only 1,000 rpms. Maybe your car makes a more power than mine that low. I would only use 6th at like 90 and i was at 1700 rpm.

Here is a stock gear chart:

Attachments

• stock gears.jpg
    stock gears.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 15

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Proshop , I have 4.10 gears in my GTS . Going 60mph in 6th gear rpm is around 1750 .Going through a little more juice ,but love the effortless pull from midrange in the top gears :drive:
I changed the gears from 3.08 to 3.73 in my 96 Mustang GT and never looked back.:2tu:

If I worried about fuel economy , I'd get a Noble M400 with the 3.0L TT like my friend's .

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually cruise at 1k rpm in every gear and shift around 2k rpm. If I need to accelerate I usually drop to 4th gear when I'm above 50mph. I just have bolt-ons. Hit up the track soon and see what you can pull with the 3.73's.

edit - I shift before 2k rpm cause my car rips so damn loud with straight pipes. hah

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i can tell you that stock gears 308 in my 96 gts my best time was 12 .01 @121mph put in 355 and i ran 11.62 @ 122 mph not to bad for the price of the gears

LynnS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Proshop: I would appreciate some details as to the mod. Thanks Again - Lynn

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kind of reminds me of the salesman at this dealership when my friend was looking at GTO's. "You will never use 6th gear on the street, that's just too fast." If you use 6th gear for anything besides cruising/fuel economy your an idiot. Salesman must drive everywhere to redline before shifting gears I guess.

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear you like the Quaife so much. I have one as well and love the thing!

I still have the factory gear ratio. I can see how many would say sixth isn't even needed for the street (it really isn't), but I do use it while cruising on the highway above 65 mph. With steeper gears, I can see sixth being needed.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cuise at 60 mph in 6th gear barely turning 1100 rpm's on the stock 3.07 rear end...

The thing that always concerns me though is this..

Here I am in this modified 550 Hp Viper...Cruising at 60 mph in 6th gear..And if somthing happens and i need to punch it I wont be able to switch to a lower gear fast enough...So Ill stab the gas on my 550 HP beaste trying to escape what ever the threat is and then...NOTHING..As 6th gear is useless..It will take me 5 seconds just to get from 60-70 mph

hasnt happenned yet but I always think about how ironic it would be

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cuise at 60 mph in 6th gear barely turning 1100 rpm's on the stock 3.07 rear end...

Here I am in this modified 550 Hp Viper...Cruising at 60 mph in 6th gear..And if somthing happens and i need to punch it I wont be able to switch to a lower gear fast enough...So Ill stab the gas on my 550 HP beaste trying to escape what ever the threat is and then...NOTHING..As 6th gear is useless..It will take me 5 seconds just to get from 60-70 mph

Takes about a split second to downshift. Light turns yellow and I'm in 3rd gear and 2 blocks away when the light turns red. =D

OP
OP
P

Proshop

Viper Owner
Reaction score

There is your problem, your cruising around in 6th going through lights, you need you some 4.10s :D

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I have been saving for a while and last week I finally ordered a Quaife and some 3.73's from Mark at Woodhouse. Typical experience in that I got a great deal, he shipped fast and packaged it up great.

If you don't mind my asking, what did the Quaife and 3.73s cost?

OP
OP
P

Proshop

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldnt be a good example due to my unit being slightly used and out of his personal car. I can assure you that he will guide you straight and give you a deal on a new one! I wouldnt think twice about buying from him without checking prices.

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not only the fact that the gears are more useable in some peoples opinions . But also that the car actually handles better with the Quaife diff right ?

OP
OP
P

Proshop

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes it does handle better when you are giving it throttle. So far it is way more efficient at putting controllable power to the wheels when going straight or coming out of corners. I have notice it stays straight when spinning while going through the gears and it tracks great when giving it non crazy amounts of throttle coming out of corners. This is on the street and I have no track experience with it......yet. I will try to find annimation of how the Quaife works and it will make alot more sense to you.

OP
OP
P

Proshop

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A description and pic. Copy and paste.

The Quaife Limited Slip Differential is an Automatic gear- operated Torque Biasing differential. Sets of floating helical gear pinions (1) mesh to provide the normal speed differential action. (2) Center spring provides pre-load. In the event of a wheel slip, torque bias is generated by the axial and radial thrusts of the pinions in the pockets (3). The resultant friction force enables the driving road wheel and sun gear (4) to transmit a greater proportion of the torque. This effect is progressive, but at no stage does the differential lock solid. Hence the inherent safety of the Quaife Automatic Torque Biasing Differential.

Attachments

• quaife small.jpg
    quaife small.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi