Question For the Moderators...

brett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is going on? I've seen a lot more posts getting locked without vulgarity or anything that would be considered harmful to anybody involved, including posts in the "Off Topic" section. ie.(I'm Back) Yet when I look in this section I see a "******* match" between Sean Roe and Tom Welch about their products. I also see new products listed in this section including prices all the time...shouldn't that be under New Products and Supplier Specials? I'm just looking for a some consistency.

Another interesting point that has been made is that the "Kid banning" brought more people to a thread than any post I've seen in a long time, even under the old format. The interesting, controversional and sometime humorous subjects bring people to the board and they get involved. The post about a Yellow Viper on I-10 will get two or three responses if that. I'm not looking to turn this board into a "slam fest", but I would like to know how these decisions are made. I know when we pile on Adelberg, half the west coast jumps on board and even some of the heartland boys get involved and it will go until he's a bloody stump. Somebody else traipses into the lions den and he gets the standing eight in the first round and the thread is locked. Why? I'm all for informative posts and have helped whenever it was needed, but someone adds levity and it gets attention and shortly after it gets "locked".

Whenever I look at a thread I can tell by a glance once I'm in it whether or not I want to respond or (more importantly) read it. I don't understand why the rest of the people involved aren't able to do the same, and why the moderators of the board feel as though they need to make these decisions for the readers. I would think we need to keep subjects in their proper forums and not allow any profantiy to appear on this board long before we incorporate censorship for the timid, shy , offended, three legged, etc... I think it "seems" like there are only few that are concerned about this, that's misleading. The few that are voicing an opion are the "usual suspects" that are willing to stand up to keep things alive and well on this board. Granted, they sometimes have some "off color" comments and like to point out the obvious, but in the past it wasn't grounds for banishment. I also think it stepped up only after it was made "illegal". Legalize these threads! They do have a place on this board and it can be as it once was.

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I wondered what happened to that thread too - it was just starting to get interesting with the "Greek Fuel Injection" post by P-Diddy, then it's BOOM - "GOODNIGHT NOW" to the thread. Well at least it wasn't deleted. As the originator of the thread I can also attest to the fact I neither locked, nor requested a lock of the thread.

All I saw in the thread was some good-natured banter (which, by the way, was initiated by the very person who became the subject of the witty thrashing). If this sort of post is not allowed in the "OFF TOPIC" section, I guess it just must not be allowed on this Board at all, which is too bad, because some of the best sources of information here also enjoy an occasional foray into smackland, if not to participate, then at least to get a chuckle or two. I know that several posts including the aforementioned PMUM Greek Harley take and Brett's "Scare the Poo Poo Out of You" motorcyle take a few days ago caused me to laugh out loud, which isn't a bad thing.

I don't know, it is kinda becoming more trouble than it is worth to liven up some of the dull forums on the Board, especially with the increased vigilence and unexplained locking/deleting of threads lately. Now I know how those punks, errrrr artists, who spray the sightly subway cars in the land of IEAT feel when the pigs chase them off and cover up their masterpieces with gray cover paint - or something.

Ut.

PS - Jon B, I think you've been so busy hawking your wares with your shameless internet self-promotion, you obviously haven't paid enough attention to know that Brett has contributed to legit questions on this Board since the days of the old "Better" board. I personally find it refreshing to read posts from members who aren't firmly ensconced in the posterior of the VCA hierarchy or moderators such that every other word is blind praise for the VCA.

Reaction score
I feel the moderators do a good job. My post have been removed and they deserved to be removed. On the old board, before we could delete our post, I contacted Jay and requested he remove a post I made. Off color remarks, should be put in the trash! My opinion only!

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I completely agree that it is appropriate for posts to be moved to their "proper" sections, especially if a note is left indicating where the post was moved to. However, it seems that once ANY thread starts to get a little heated (read: fun), it gets locked. Are Viper owners really so immature that we can't accept a trash talk for what it is? I cannot believe that the minor bashing that goes on in some threads is so confrontational that our sensibilities can't take it. I have yet to see anything locked or otherwise that was so offensive that its very existence caused me to think about it for more than the couple minutes it took to read. Not everyone will like or agree with each other, but it seems as if some of the editorial license with regard to thread locking/deletion is geared towards limiting conflict in an extreme manner. Just my opinion, as always.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
There are a variety of reasons why we lock a thread, and it is most likely that a thread will be scrutinized if it is in the Viper Discussions area (which by the way, once again, this is in, and shouldn't be). Here we have the perfect example. This board was set up to be a VALUABLE resource of Viper related information. Yes, it's OK to have occasional humor, rants, etc. but the clear purpose is for this site to be your Viper 411! INFORMATION, ANSWERS and IDEAS about your Vipers.

When a thread in this section strays off the beaten path, it just wastes our members valuable time and is no longer within the focus of what this site is about.

If you want to socialize, in a public forum, about philosophical issues on internet politics and diplomacy, there must be a better site to do it than here, or if you'd like to stay on our site and discuss these issues, just use the off topic section, as I'm sure all here want to talk "Vipers".

OP
OP
B

brett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John B. I've been on the board since '97 and have owned a '97 GTS and an '00 ACR. I ran at most of the So Cal events during that time, but was forced to sell the ACR (Kevin Salt is happy) at the end of last year. I do "like it" here on the board and asked a question that I thought should be answered. My question was for the moderators, but apparently you felt they were inept and had to answer the question for them. Is that much different than what you're up in arms about?

Fred, in my opinion none of your threads should be removed, whether they are informative or laughable.

Vipermad..... I agree with your post, which by the way is a "slightly" different tune than that of a couple of days ago. It's all good, but I don't understand why the "Off Topic" post had to be related to....well....anything.

Joseph....I agree that this thread shouldn't be in this section, but this is the section that gets the most traffic. Why do you think the parts peddlers won't post in the correct section? Most of the trash talk that comes out of the "usual suspects" is when we see someone that is representing the Viper community and has "no clue" about the subject in which they are commenting. Better yet the topic is WORTHLESS to not only the Viper community, but anything with a pulse. Other than those Viper owners that actually "drive" their cars the correlation between Viper owners and Trekkies is growing eerily closer. "We don't actually do it, but we love to talk about it". Disturbingly these same people feel it's necessary to foist their knowledge upon the fledglings of this board...and...just sometimes....they get "trashed".

I have been and will continue to be helpful to anybody, anytime they need help in any area that I have experience...I recall four instances this last week where I received phone calls and e-mails to help people that I don't know, but we share a common interest...The Viper.

Locking a thread is not the answer. It's the simple dynamics of a group that will prevail. There is a place for some of these posts on this board as long as it stays within the ethical boundaries. Sometimes its a fine line. If it falls outside the line our "peers" will let us know.

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony - Honestly, I can think of at least 3 of the 7 locked threads that I would personally not have locked. That said, a note as to why they were locked (even something akin to some of the Corvette Board messages, like "that is too personal," or "you are just a Supra troll looking for trouble" makes the lock easier to deal with.

However, 7 times in 20 days is more action than Lil' Whoadie usually sees, so I guess you've got that going for ya'.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kid97GTS:

PS - Jon B, I think you've been so busy hawking your wares with your shameless internet self-promotion...

...members who aren't firmly ensconced in the posterior of the VCA hierarchy or moderators such that every other word is blind praise for the VCA.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Call me shameless too. If "ensconcing" and "blind praise" contributes to my getting discounts and/or sponsorship - hawk away JonB, Sean Roe, Tom Welch, Doug Levin, John Purner, Dan Cragin, Woodhouse, Borla, Lingenfelter, Zaino, Archer, TNT, Wellington, GreatBrakes, Roanoke, SVSI, Corsa, Fitzgerald, Santa Monica Dodge, AutoForm, StopTech, PartsRack, TireRack, MGW, Hoosier, Goodyear, Mobil1, K&N, Dodge.

Have I left anyone out?

I can be bought. Anybody looking for a driver?
You must be registered for see images

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone who takes a shot like that at Jon B obviously hasn't spoken to him. I used to take pointless shots like that at people, then I turned 8.

By the way, Brett and Kid, is there anyone you haven't annoyed in the last week? You guys seem to have some kind of censorship phobia. Did mommy take your Britney Spears CD away?

You moan about tiresome posts about Zaino, etc. Well I doubt if I'm alone when I say I'm becoming tired of browsing the board only to find you guys ranting about the same drivel every night.

For what it's worth, I've bought products from Jon B. and I've dealt on several occasions with Tony. Both great guys. If you stopped whining long enough you'd probably notice that.

PS. Don't forget to scour my post for something you can rant about and take shots at. Let me help you to save you some time...

1. I'm from Canada, that should be worth a few immature responses. Eh?
2. I haven't had multiple Vipers and the one I do have is a '94, so that probably puts me in your "low life" league.
3. I'm defending two great guys that actually add value to the board. That concept seems to escape you and typically results in some pedantic diatribe from you.

PSS. Tony, indirectly I'm hoping you find something offensive enough in my post to lock this topic!

OP
OP
B

brett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phiebert:
I used to take pointless shots like that at people, then I turned 8.

By the way, Brett and Kid, is there anyone you haven't annoyed in the last week? You guys seem to have some kind of censorship phobia. Did mommy take your Britney Spears CD away?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't get it. Aren't you taking pointless shots after the word "people"......for the remainder of your post. I'm trying to play nice.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just to clear things up, there was no "******* match", as quoted by Brett, between Tom and myself. How can I get "pissed" talking to someone about headers? I'm still waiting to see Dan Cragin's reply about the header fitting and testing he's done
You must be registered for see images

Normally, when I see a post about a topic I'm not interested in, I don't read it. If there's a topic I'm interested in, I read it and if I can add some input, I will.

Moderators: Please move this entire thread to the Board and Site Layout Suggestions section where it belongs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang