question on installing speakers

vipertom7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would like to replace the stock speakers in between the seats on my 94 viper this weekend. I was wondering how much work is involved in this process, and is their anything I should know before installing them? Thanks.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If they're anything like the gen II speaker in between the seats, you don't need the weekend to do it, it only takes 2 minutes. Pry the cover carefully off with a flathead screwdriver. Remove 4 screws. Pull off outside ring. Pull out speaker and disconnect.

I clipped the two wires and added generic 16 - 20 gauge female connectors to hook right up to an aftermarket speaker. Reverse process for installation of new speaker. :D

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If they're anything like the gen II speaker in between the seats, you don't need the weekend to do it, it only takes 2 minutes. Pry the cover carefully off with a flathead screwdriver. Remove 4 screws. Pull off outside ring. Pull out speaker and disconnect.

Um, no. On a Gen1 you have to remove the back vinyl cover to get to the speakers. Don't try prying the grills off, it won't work.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipertom7,
Here is what I did:
Yes, remove the back, vinyl panel .
I found that in an open car, there was so much noise (wind, engine, tires, etc.) that the high frequencies coming from the door tweeters were really inadequate. You will find, when you get to the rear speakers, some capacitors there which act as frequency limiters to cut the highs out and allow those 2 center speakers to act as woofers or sub woofers, as if a 5 1/2 - 6 inch speaker can function as a woofer. I replaced the speakers with coaxial "MA" (brand) speakers, remove the frequency limiters (capacitors), and install FULL range speakers - coaxial, triaxial, and enjoy the FULL frequency range of your music right next to your ear; oh, the amps do not know the difference, as they, in this case, are not frequency limiting.
There are MANY brands of full range speakers of the correct size - go to a car stereo place and listen to some. I think you will be happy with the sound.

Later,

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4