Question regarding 96 RT/10

BigSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK... I have performed the muffler delete on my 96 RT/10. I like the sound of it.

My next mod is to replace the stock cats with high flows. I was just told by a Viper Tech that 96 RT/10 has mufflers in the side seals behind the cats.

However, when I was getting my car emissions tested, it failed because I was told that my car didn't have a muffler.

Does the 96/RT10 have a muffler in the side seal behind the cat? I am currently out of town and I can't go out to my garage and simply look...

Can someone verify this for me?

Clifton Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't have an answer for you but why would it fail an emissions test if it lacked a muffler? I thought they tested COx levels (only). Or is TX different?

OP
OP
B

BigSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As part of the emission certification is a inspection check to ensure that the muffler(s) are in good working order... since they didn't see a muffler, I failed the test....

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO - the 1996 exhuast is special - cats, no side sill resonator and just a rear muffler. So, if you removed your rear muffler, then you don't have anything aft of the cats.

OP
OP
B

BigSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys... I really like the sound that I currently have... I really didn't want a 3" exhaust system...

Oh well... it seems that I will be putting on a 3" exhaust or play "muffler on then muffler off" once a year

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just do the muffler on/muffler off, especially if it's an easy one day project. As long as your nuts and bolts aren't rusted (I'd hope not) you shouldn't have a problem.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Janni said, you now have no muffler(s), as the 96 RT/10 exhaust was one of a kind with no mufflers in the side sills. You must have replaced the big muffler with straight pipes, and consequently have no cross over in the rear (balance tube) from side to side.

You could get a couple good sounding mufflers, and put in a balance tube. As I understand it, the big stock muffler served also as a balance tube. All cat back systems, that I have seen, have a balance tube in the rear, usually just before the dual mufflers.

Later,

Later,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajya