Racing Fuels

motomike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking about running some high octance racing fuel next time I'm at the track. Has anyone tried racing fuel and was there any noticable difference or improvement in performance?

mchafin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't advise it unless your car is high compression or has forced induction. A higher octane fuel will give you no benefit unless your car is experiencing detonation on pump gas. If you do run race fuel make sure you get unleaded as the other will not be good for your O2 sensors..

Mike

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many modern cars have an anti-knock sensor and a computer that will advance the timing until it starts to knock and then back it off. This allows the car to run on on cheap gas, yet get more performance from higher octane. Such a car loves race gas.

However your Viper is not such a car. It does not have the sensor and so does not adjust the timing. It will not even notice the extra octane. There was a much better explanation a few months ago. Try Searching for it...

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mchafin is absolutely right. You will be pouring good $ out the exhaust pipe if you run race gas when your car is pretty much stock. Run 93 and have fun. If you are getting ping, then it probably makes sense. Higher octane in a stock or near stock Viper doesn't yield any more hp or torque.

pj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I filled up a tank with race gas (like $80!) and noticed the engine ran much smoother. I cant say for sure that there was a boost in performance (might have just been me "thinking" it was faster).

But, in the end, I never tried it again (due to warnings and lack of desire to spend $80 for a fillup).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang