Radar Detectors

Speedstyle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say No...overpriced, not any more effective than any others. Why don't you just get a Laser/Radar Jammer thats legal in all but 3 states.

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say No...overpriced, not any more effective than any others. Why don't you just get a Laser/Radar Jammer thats legal in all but 3 states.

BS, there are no legal radar jammers currently available on the market. You trying to sell somthing?

There are lasar jammers available however. Bel and ****** for starters. Do a search on radar detectors. There are TONS of threads on this subject if you use the search key.

Ron

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I love my Valentine 1, and from what I can tell from riding with other people with different detectors my Valentine is much better at detecting from a longer distance and the arrows make you very aware of where to be looking. Use the search key and you will find there have been a ton of conversations on the valentine and others --but yes they probably are overpriced

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try buying a cheaper radar detector and compare it to the V1 the V1 is king. I have tried other even if as good for distance do not tell me where the signal is coming from. WELL worth the money

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The V1 is the best no question, I have personally used mine since 99. Prior to that I used a Bell ($230) which falsed so often it was almost useless. It wins all the magazine tests hands down so there is no reason to buy any other. Think of it as $400 you only have to spend once. If you buy a $280 one you will wonder for years about if you made the right choice. When you buy the best you never think about that.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned a V1 now for 4 years and it's hard to go back and use another brand once you own one. I bought my wife the Passport 8500 and without the arrows, I don't feel safe using it. The 8500 is a very close second to the V1 though in radar detection.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had many and they all are useless. Many cops patroling highways are also certified to be able to estimate speed. If they get you that way, you are screwed anyway.

Best way is to know a friend who can make a call for you if necessary.

I wouldn't waste my money, and have had a clean lic. for about 4 years now.

AC

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BS, there are no legal radar jammers currently available on the market. You trying to sell somthing?

As far as I've read there are "legal" "Scramblers" - you have to know the difference between active jamming and passive scrambling. Jamming is illegal. Scrambling is only illegal in a few states (I know they are illegal in OK, but not Texas).

All the old band types can be scrambled - laser scramblers are a joke - the laser beam has to hit the detector to be affected.

Most laser operators hit the front plate - so your detector is worthless on that.

The detector really helps just to know that they are shooting radar. Other than that if you get directly nailed or "they estimate" your speed - it doesn't matter what detector you're using - your done, toast.

I have a Viper C302 detector. Had it in my truck - got nailed with a radar gun - head on - it showed nothing on the radar - scrambled it just fine (not laser). The police officer pulled me anyway and "estimated" my speed at 10 over the limit. He didn't have a reading and didn't need one. So the detector only lets you know that you "got hit" or that someone else is "getting hit." It won't save you.

Police also have detector detectors. It's illegal for commercial vehicles to have radar detectors - but not the general public - at least in Texas. None of this counts in Canada - totally different there.

I think they do tend to make certain officers "upset" - who'll will then take you down just for the fact that if you're running with a detector you're or were obviously speeding at one point.

I'd run with a detector - but probably just get one based on cost and looks. They all detect the same bands and such.

Be careful of the "laser" guarantees. They only work when the laser hits the detector head on. So unless you're going to mount the thing on your front bumber or front plate - laser's going to get you everytime.

Just my 10 cents worth -----

Reaction score
V1 is the best.

The location arrows help locate the Tax Collector. In a multi-bogy situation it is critical to know where to look. this feature has saved my *ss. Three V1's in our family.

Radar Jammers are bogus.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a V1, and while I haven't compared, Car & Driver has. The V1 is far and away the best overall performer in their testing.

For those of you who have kept the device removable, how did you mount it? I'm currently using the suction cups but am planning on modifying the visor clip to slip under the molding at the top of the windshield, then using some velcro on the visor clip to help hold the thing to the mouse fur on the headliner. For, power I am planning on placing an 1/8" stereo phono jack between the dome light buttons and stealing power from the dome light circuit. Thoughts?

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just hard wire it. It's with phone cable connectors. You can still remove the unit and use it in another car (e.g. with the cigarette lighter adaptor that is also provided in the original box).
There's a couple of good threads on here that show you how to do the hard wiring.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the Bel 985 and I loved it. It was a great detector but I would definitely recommend the Valentine One. I hear that it is one of the greatest out there. Of course you are going to pay the price but it should be worth it. I just got rid of the 985 and got an in dash radar which is the BEST!!! :D

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V1 for sure.I never hard mount.Too hard to move between 2 daily driver,Viper and rental cars.If you're going to realy hall *** point one forward and 1 back.Drove a big ol Caddy from Buffalo NY to Jacksonville Fla in 15 hours one year.It was a real hit at clubs and strip bars.Got a lot of why are you driving that gold caddy?Answer:plenty of "luggage" space in the trunk and drive 90 all day long.Cops leave you alone thinking you are delivering some doctors car.Most read drugs into luggage.Of course I told them I sold drugs.Didn't mention I was a licensed Rph.Met some very interesting and fun people.... Bruce

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both a V1 (Viper), 8500 (Boxster) and Passport Solo (S2000). V1 and 8500 are both very good. I think the V1 may be a bit more sensitive and gives slightly earlier warnings (seat of pants judgement on my part).

V1 advantages: Directional arrows, autodimming, better mounting braket (doesn't vibrate on windshield which 8500 sometimes does), seems more sensitive, comes with cords for hardwiring (you have to buy these separately for the 8500).

8500 advantages: Looks a bit better IMHO, less expensive, auto mute, large alpha numeric display of band, more easily distinguishable sounds for each band, comes in a very nice case.

Solo advantages: No cord... otherwise it *****.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say No...overpriced, not any more effective than any others.

I say wrong on both counts. One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet(this time)is the fact that V1's are upgradeable. I have 2. My oldest 1(1994?)can be upgraded for $279--which I'm going to do this spring. A V1 upgrade means sending in your old unit in exchange for a completely new 1. I believe that's about the price of an 8500 or other so called top end detector. My newest 1(about 4 yrs old?) can be upgraded for $189, considerably cheaper than an 8500.

Taking the upgrade price into consideration, the arrows, and the fact that most tests have the V1 on top, it's pretty much a no-brainer on the way to go.

BTW-- my oldest one, with well over 250,000 miles of wind shield time still works as good as the day I bought it. Absolutely no trouble with it--ever.

Steve

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason I was thinking that they would upgrade the V1 to today's standards for free, why am I thinking this?

trumper Z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, V1 is king... I've used one since 1998 and the company is great to work with. I had a diode go out, which they fixed for free, and gave me a free power cord - cost me $6 shipping for all of that. Besides, the V1 is far and away the best radar detector in my opinion. You really can't beat it. Yes it's expensive, but so are speeding tickets and insurance hikes...

:D Yep, Ryan's right on the V-1. I've had 2 of em since 1993, both have been up-graded twice... V-1's the only way to go!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
My V1 is by far the best auto accessory I have ever bought. No Radar Detector will protect you 100% (read: #%$#%$@ Instant-On), but with this one there is no doubt when you are heading toward trouble.

BUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used radar detectors for 20+ years...back when they had the old "fuzzbuster" and many other brands. They are NOT all the same. They might all "detect the same bands" but the V1 does it at a much longer distance. VERY IMPORTANT for instant-on radar guns when your only hope is the cop zapped a guy a mile or 2 before you. Valentine 1 is the best. It tells you how many bogeys and where they are. The only downside is it looks antiquated. But you can always get a concealed display if that is a factor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960