Radiator design

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm making statements here or asking questions or none of the above, but with my current Gen 2 radiator collection at three I started noticing some design differences. So I guess this is where you can either yawn and hit the back button, nod and go uh-huh, or add comments.

I've tried 2 brands of aluminum radiators that failed very quickly. More recent customers of those 2 brands have posted that those brands have been redesigned, but one of the 3-pass ones I have is an early generation - pre redesign - and would lose about 1/2 a gallon of coolant going to the Quickie Mart. It was removed over this past weekend. I also have a brand new Alan's 3-pass. It has always gotten good press, but I have not tried it yet. The 3rd one I have now, and what I put in the car a few days ago, is my 3-cored factory one. The factory radiator having never leaked in the 9 years I used it before re-coring it.

They always fail in the corners is my experience. There was some pretty good discussion in a recent thread about all of that and hence I started noticing that all 3 of mine are different in the corners. And here lies that gray area to this thread. Not sure if any of it means a darn thing, so this could just be trivial nonsense. Right down my alley! :rolaugh:

The factory radiator is below. Highlighted is the area I suspect may be key. To something.

You must be registered for see images

Looking even closer the offset I have the red line on, is that done that way to allow expansion and contraction - the yellow arrows?

The next 2 pics are the Alan's on top and the failed 3-pass on the bottom. Very different looking.

A different angle of the dead 3-pass you can see the frame restricts the core from expanding. At least that's how I see it.

The Alan's at a different view too. I can't really say that big mess of weld there makes an expansion joint either, but is it?

Finally, back to the Alan's on top and the other beneath it, look at the different fin counts.

Now tell me what it all means :lmao:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hmm.... me thinks Dave finally put the pieces together about what I have been beating on my chest about in all of these radiator threads!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
seems like a "simple" fix if design started at the weak spots. how much volume / cooling would you lose redesigning those corners

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The easy answer is: it means you have way too much time on your hands Dave. Get back to work!

Yeah, I know I can't really add to this discussion.... (I'll butt-out).

However, I'll be happy to buy one of yours when the answer comes.

6666 VIPER COOLING - Radiators -R- us....

2 years on my Allen's radiator in my gen 1 so far...