Radiator fan motor is toast?

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I noticed a loud squeak that lasted for a couple seconds from under the hood today. Found the passenger side radiator fan was not functioning. I tried blasting the AC, and it would not come on ... it completes a couple rotations and then stops.

2010 ACR w/ 6100 miles.

Is this a common problem?
Should I just take it in to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty, or is there anything I can try to get it running again?

Thanks.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why you even hesitate, take it to the dealer.
I noticed a loud squeak that lasted for a couple seconds from under the hood today. Found the passenger side radiator fan was not functioning. I tried blasting the AC, and it would not come on ... it completes a couple rotations and then stops.

2010 ACR w/ 6100 miles.

Should I just take it in to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty, or is there anything I can try to get it running again?

Thanks.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2010 ACR w/ 6100 miles.

Thanks.

This is going to sound stupid

Take a good look for any type of plastic bag around or in the fan motor

OP
OP
T

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PeterMJ - It'll definitely be going to the dealer since it's under warranty. I'm curious about how common this issue is though, and whether new factory replacement parts are hard to come by.

Garron - Thanks for the idea. I checked and didn't see any plastic bag around/in the motor. When turning the blades, it does feel like there is possibly an obstruction. I also checked between the fan rim and the shroud, but didn't see anything there either.

OP
OP
T

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in VPA! :) You'll definitely be the first place I call if I encounter supply issues. :2tu:

OP
OP
T

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update: car at dealer now. Viper tech said radiator fan assembly (motor and blades) needs to be replaced. They should have the part by tomorrow afternoon and have me back on the road by COB tomorrow. Unfortunately, we're expecting 1-4" of snow tonight, so I probably won't be able to pick it up and drive it home until Friday or Monday.

OP
OP
T

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FYI, cause of radiator fan failure was a premature electrical component failure in the fan motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960