Radiator installation

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just pulled radiator out with the hood ON. It was a lot tighter than I expected and saw on some other threads how tight it would be on driver side because of hinge (coil?). I couldn't find any threads on installation with the hood ON, though.
Is this possible to do with hood ON?
Def. don't want to damage radiator trying to "make" it fit back.
tricks (other than removing hood) , etc on re-install? It is OE '98 radiator.

gutterworks129

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just take the hood off, 4 nuts hold it on. Have some friends help and it is a breeze. I just fixed the radiator on my 96 GTS. I took the hood off and layed on a blanket so the edges would not get scuffed. Removed the fans and the radiator. I had a two inch crack in the side so I had it welded for $100. Reinstalled everything and burped the coolant system. I wanted to keep using the stock radiator.

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking hood off would be way to go. But the hood was not in the way. the springs on driver side was. you take that off too?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The driver side spring was only slightly interfering in my case. I used a little sideways pressure on the spring and got the radiator past it. I expect there could be quite a bit of variation in position over many cars. I did not remove the hood. (no good place to put it anyway. Safer to leave it on for me.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it on my gen 1. Remove the drivers side spring/hinge and prop hood with w/2X4..... Worked for me.

Cheers

jimuaya

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk to Sean Roe at roe racing here is the phone #(904) 230-5422. You do not have take the hood off. My local mechanic (who is not a viper tech) was able to change my radiator without much trouble. Good luck Chip.

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Radiator went in much easier than came out. (spiders and all).
what size head fits the bleed plug in 'stat housing? I think I made a "custom" one years back but can't find it now.
Is it a 4-5 mm square head?

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Radiator went in much easier than came out. (spiders and all).
what size head fits the bleed plug in 'stat housing? I think I made a "custom" one years back but can't find it now.
Is it a 4-5 mm square head?

I just measured the 1 that I made this winter and it measures 0.190 across the flats.

Brent

Anything new on the wheels?

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything new on the wheels?

OH ****, I totally forgot! Sorry Brent.
Once I get my car back together today, I have a few other vehicles to work on and a couple of rotate/balances to do. I'll make myself a note to dig them out of the closet. They are "deep" in the back of storage area.
-chip

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update:
I still have a leak (which shop said they couldnt find). It is more of a "seep" than a leak, but it's gotten worse, so out comes the radiator AGAIN!
Had it out in about 30 mins. this time and taking to a different shop (of course). It seems to be leaking in the seam area down by drain plug.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten