Ran over a sewer at gas station.........

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night I was coming back from a car show and I needed to get gas, the only station I saw was a shell station in Miami Beach. I pulled in there, its an older station and there were like tons of small sewers sticking out of the ground real high. I thought it would just clear them. But I was wrong, I heard and felt the loudest banging and scraping sound I ever heard driving a car. I felt a very bad vibration and scraping under the floor where my feet were.

I looked real quick at the station when I pulled up at the pump and everything looked ok. Today I pulled the car out of the garage and looked closer in daylight. The driver side little mud flap thing fell off. I know it happens to most people or they just take them off totally. Besides that under the front side sill 3 screws must have somehow got ripped out. Then a little further in there are some screws that are shredded and totally bent. Amazingly, there are no scrapes or anything visible to anything.

Now I would like to replace those 3 screws that came out of the side sill and even replace the one mudflap thing even though it may break off again eventually. Not sure if the screws will still be able to go into the screws under the side sill, but I would like to try.

Anyone know a part # or what exactly to ask the parts dept. for at the dealer for the screws and that mudflap thing?

Its funny how my car is extremely low and I have driven on some of the worst roads and highways with it and never had a problem with anything, yet I go 3mph in a gas station and that's where my first problem happened. :mad:

Reaction score
Last night I was coming back from a car show and I needed to get gas, the only station I saw was a shell station in Miami Beach. I pulled in there, its an older station and there were like tons of small sewers sticking out of the ground real high. I thought it would just clear them. But I was wrong, I heard and felt the loudest banging and scraping sound I ever heard driving a car. I felt a very bad vibration and scraping under the floor where my feet were.

I looked real quick at the station when I pulled up at the pump and everything looked ok. Today I pulled the car out of the garage and looked closer in daylight. The driver side little mud flap thing fell off. I know it happens to most people or they just take them off totally. Besides that under the front side sill 3 screws must have somehow got ripped out. Then a little further in there are some screws that are shredded and totally bent. Amazingly, there are no scrapes or anything visible to anything.

Now I would like to replace those 3 screws that came out of the side sill and even replace the one mudflap thing even though it may break off again eventually. Not sure if the screws will still be able to go into the screws under the side sill, but I would like to try.

Anyone know a part # or what exactly to ask the parts dept. for at the dealer for the screws and that mudflap thing?

Its funny how my car is extremely low and I have driven on some of the worst roads and highways with it and never had a problem with anything, yet I go 3mph in a gas station and that's where my first problem happened. :mad:

I would immediately contact the gas (service) station and tell them you need the phone number of their insurance company to file a claim, as there was damage caused to your car from entering their lot.

OP
OP
Y

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would immediately contact the gas (service) station and tell them you need the phone number of their insurance company to file a claim, as there was damage caused to your car from entering their lot.

A friend of mine actually mentioned that to me. I said that they would probably not do anything since its probably ok for most cars just not a very car. I mean it still may be worth a try. I am not sure if my car has any real damage besides a few cheap missing parts though. What do you think?

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score

A friend of mine actually mentioned that to me. I said that they would probably not do anything since its probably ok for most cars just not a very car. I mean it still may be worth a try. I am not sure if my car has any real damage besides a few cheap missing parts though. What do you think?

If that's the case, then you can sue for fascia damage for going up or down a steep driveway!

I don't think so. :crazy:

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

Let me guess... 18th and Alton road?? What car show was around here?

OP
OP
Y

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

YES! that is exactly the one! It was just a Hot Import Nights at the Miami Beach Convention Center. There were 2 other Gen 2's there that were actually pretty nice.

Here is a quick pic of mine right before the show let out.

You must be registered for see images

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

YES! that is exactly the one! It was just a Hot Import Nights at the Miami Beach Convention Center. There were 2 other Gen 2's there that were actually pretty nice.

Damn, two weeks before I get there!!! DAMN! I think I will be taking the Viper down to Miami again in January. Can't wait!!!

OP
OP
Y

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neal it was nice talking with you today and your parts will be here soon. Thanks! :cool:

You as well! Thanks for the great service! I am glad someone recommended you because I had no idea you existed! :D

OP
OP
Y

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, two weeks before I get there!!! DAMN! I think I will be taking the Viper down to Miami again in January. Can't wait!!!

Please make a note for yourself not to go to the Shell station i went to! :)

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The bottom line here is that the gas station is responsible and has to fix your viper. Saying your viper is a special car that is different from other cars does not cut it. It was built by DC for the road, meets federal height limits, therefor the gas station is responsible for any object sticking up higher than the minimum height standards for cars set down by the feds.

OP
OP
Y

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bottom line here is that the gas station is responsible and has to fix your viper. Saying your viper is a special car that is different from other cars does not cut it. It was built by DC for the road, meets federal height limits, therefor the gas station is responsible for any object sticking up higher than the minimum height standards for cars set down by the feds.

That is true. If the car has serious damage that was expensive to fix i would take that up with the station. Being its maybe $35 bucks in parts is just not worth the hassle. I know a stock Viper would probably have no problem clearing these sewers, but i know mine is quite a bit lower then stock, so i am not even sure if it applies anyway.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

Oh man, I know that station pretty well! I live on 15th and Bay, 4 blocks away!... I never go there with the Viper because of that same reason! I sometimes thought I was being paranoid but I guess not.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score

That is true. If the car has serious damage that was expensive to fix i would take that up with the station. Being its maybe $35 bucks in parts is just not worth the hassle. I know a stock Viper would probably have no problem clearing these sewers, but i know mine is quite a bit lower then stock, so i am not even sure if it applies anyway.

I think that you will NEVER get any money due to grounding out at their establishment. That is certailnly true if you have lowered your car AT ALL. Maybe if you have VERY goofy juries or judges you'd have a chance. A business can't be expected to allow for someone who lowers his ride. I even think they could sucessfully fight a grounding claim even with a stock height car if it were lower than is "typical". What is typical would be the fight, but I'd bet a Viper or Corvette would NOT be considered typical.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I think that you will NEVER get any money due to grounding out at their establishment. That is certailnly true if you have lowered your car AT ALL. Maybe if you have VERY goofy juries or judges you'd have a chance. A business can't be expected to allow for someone who lowers his ride. I even think they could sucessfully fight a grounding claim even with a stock height car if it were lower than is "typical". What is typical would be the fight, but I'd bet a Viper or Corvette would NOT be considered typical.

You are correct. If you tried to sue the establishment, a judge would probably rule that access into this public establishment is deemed "reasonable", therefore dismissing your claim. That means that if the average vehicle (Accord, Camry, F150, etc.) can gain access to this place of business without self-inflicting damage, then there would be no liability on the part of the business. A Viper (and other vehicles of course) represent only a small percentage and is not considered an average vehicle. With that being said, you (the owner) would be responsible for making sure there's enough ground clearance - just as you would if you're going up a driveway or pulling into a parking space that has a parking stop. The fact that your car has been modified would virtually kill your claim. :bonker:

OP
OP
Y

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh man, I know that station pretty well! I live on 15th and Bay, 4 blocks away!... I never go there with the Viper because of that same reason! I sometimes thought I was being paranoid but I guess not.

Oh gosh, thats funny! So obviously these sewers were big enough for you to even notice and you didn't even need to first have your car scrape on them for the wake up call, which does not make me feel any better! Next time i am in Miami i will need to scope out a few Viper friendly stations.