Random Tech Cat Question

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone simply replaced the stock cats with the RT's and retained the rest of the stock exhaust?? If so, any problems, recommendations, etc.? I do not like loud exhaust, but cooler sills and weight saving are certainly good things.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ted,

We have replaced the stock cats with 2-1/2" ceramic RT cats on many cars has it does help get rid of some of the heat. To get rid of more heat I would change out the mufflers to our 2-1/2" system as the car will perform a lot better and will be only slightly louder than stock. We have used this setup on a lot of customers cars who want to get more performance, rid themselves of the heat problem, and do not want a lous exhaust. You can see this at out web site below.

Robbie

http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just did this exact thing the other day. Replaced the stock cats on my 03 SRT/10 with metallic substrate RT cats - the rest of the exhaust is stock. Sound is just a little louder and a much deeper lower tone. Sills seem a little cooler, but have not done much comparison there yet.

OP
OP
T

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish you were closer so I could come hear the new sound. How is the drone with the cats? Did you check to see just how much weight you lost on the switch?

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say there is a very slight drone, not objectionable since I like the deeper growl the exhaust now has over the stock cats. The stock cats are a lot heavier - I put the stock cats in the attic and noticed they weigh a whole lot more than the RTs. I can go grab them and weigh the stock cats if you would like the info.

OP
OP
T

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, no need to do that, we know the weight savings is there. I wonder if "drone" means the same to everyone. To me, drone is that certain tone at a certain RPM and throttle position that seems to resonate inside your head and drowns out all other sounds. Actually can be a benefit if the wife is speaking at the time.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I weighed my stock exhaust it was 98.5 lbs.
With RT cats, no crossover and our side pipes it now weighs 30 lbs.

Hope this helps

Robbie

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The crossover will help kill the drone. I have yet to hear a side exhaust system that is "drone-less" without the crossovers.

If anyone knows of such a system, please let me know as I'd love to get rid of my crossovers.

Dan

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote: "The crossover will help kill the drone. I have yet to hear a side exhaust system that is "drone-less" without the crossovers.

If anyone knows of such a system, please let me know as I'd love to get rid of my crossovers."
----------------------------------------------------------
I totally agree with you Dan, the crossover does rid the viper of the drone. I do not believe that most of the heat is caused by the crossover, but is caused by the factory restrictive mufflers and the cats. I have built a lot of different systems and they always sound better with the crossover installed.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, no need to do that, we know the weight savings is there. I wonder if "drone" means the same to everyone. To me, drone is that certain tone at a certain RPM and throttle position that seems to resonate inside your head and drowns out all other sounds. Actually can be a benefit if the wife is speaking at the time.

That is my definition of drone. I have no drone with the Corsa Track with out cats and I had no drone with the cats. Just loud.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
[/QUOTE] That is my definition of drone. I have no drone with the Corsa Track with out cats and I had no drone with the cats. Just loud.

[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY ! Corsa has engineered RSC (Reflective Sound Cancellation) and is the only one that has done so. This system ELIMINATES those annoying resonant-drone frequencies. If yould like to know HOW they do it, please call!

PartsRack worked w/ RandomTech to develop 2.5" bolt-on and 3" bolt on cats for SRT10 and GTS. We offer them in 2 hi-flow substrates, and we will quote you flow-bench tested flow rates. Simply drop your OE cats and bolt these up.

Waaay COOL........ and LOUDer and Mellow. No backfire.

THANKS !!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be interested in the flow rates of those convertors, since Random Tech's website doesn't divulge much CFM information other than saying,
"As an example, a 3" diameter 9000 series SuperStainless converter flows 502 cfm."

A 502cfm CAT on each of the two exhaust pipes isn't as high as it sounds. That'd only support up to 456hp without causing a loss of HP due to exhaust restriction.

But, maybe CATS by design/function are limited in maximum flow capability..?

;)

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon is quite correct about the RT cats. I bought a set from Jon at The Parts Rack and they fit and perform perfectly just as he said they would. I now have over 10,000 miles on them without any problems. They made a huge difference in power and in lowering the car of heat.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I wrote Random Tech myself and got some flow figures.

Their metallic substrate Viper convertor flows 598cfm, and their ceramic substrate Viper converter flows 426 cfm.

That would work out to:

A pair of their 598cfm converters supporting up to 543hp w/o HP loss due to converter restriction.

A pair of their 426cfm converters supporting up to 387hp w/o HP loss due to converter restriction.

:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc