RB1 Upgrade

OP
OP
A

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've seen online, they don't fit exactly into the factory slots as the dash has rounded corners and these are all square. So there's going to be some mods to the dash or radio...that's why I'm thinking about the RB1.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do these fit in the factory hole or are they add on somewhere else?

By factory hole, if you mean the mounting space available behind the dash cover. Then yes. (you just have to make or get 4 small 'L' brackets from home depot). BUT if you mean the hole that the face comes throgh in the plastic console/dash cover, then no. That has to be modified a bit for the face of the new unit to fit well.

From what I've seen online, they don't fit exactly into the factory slots as the dash has rounded corners and these are all square. So there's going to be some mods to the dash or radio...that's why I'm thinking about the RB1.

Correct, they do not just drop in. But there is plug and play wiring harnesses and no cutting of the mounting location is needed. It drops in, but you do need to modify the plastic housing that sits over everything.

I wonder if we had enough interest, if I could get 'group buy' started on the head units AND custom fabrication of the plastic cover. The local shop is the one who did a guys on here, and the look is OEM looking. (I'm doing it regardless... but right now its probably too expensive for most people, as the custom work for the plastic piece is $1000 bucks, because they add plastic filler, and then recut the piece to exact dimensions of the new unit, and then professionally 'paint' the piece so there is no signs of it not being an original piece:

400d1186285480-pioneer-avic-navigation-system-installed-bydesign_avic-z2_1.jpg

401d1186285490-pioneer-avic-navigation-system-installed-bydesign_avic-z2_2.jpg

Jon

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping it was a single din with flip display, I don't want to modify my dash

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping it was a single din with flip display, I don't want to modify my dash

Oh, if you like single din, there are TONS OF OPTIONS..

But I think a gen 3 with a single din looks like crap, guy steve who runs with our group has one, and it looks so out of place. But if single din , pop out screen navi is what you what, Pioneer and many others certainly have you covered.

I personally like double din.

Jon

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I placed the antenna over the two vents, held in position with foam rubber and glue, works fine. While the dash is open, consider installing XM/Sirus and the Ipod cable.
Took me about 5 hours, but I'm slow when the engine is off.........
:drive:

OP
OP
A

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I placed the antenna over the two vents, held in position with foam rubber and glue, works fine. While the dash is open, consider installing XM/Sirus and the Ipod cable.
Took me about 5 hours, but I'm slow when the engine is off.........
:drive:

Is the antenna over under the dash, or mounter over the vents on top of the dash?

vipertypesrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if anyone is interested also, i bought a unit off ebay and everything works perfect but rather have my 6 disc unit back in. I am located in the bay area, ca and price is $600 shipped or picked up.
thanks ad sorry to hijack the post

OP
OP
A

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever installed one of these on their own? How hard is it? I'm guessing you just remove the center panel and pop the old unit out, plug the new one in and you're ready to go.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its super easy, dont sweat it. I did it a couple of times. once in my car, once in my dads, and then once swapping it back out and putting in the 6 disk.

Take it on, its not hard to do!

Jon

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, and if you do it take notes and take pictures for the next batch of folks who want to do this.

I know that the illustrated Corsa install helped me immensely when I installed my pipes myself on my 05.

Tim

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It'll be sure to take notes and get as many pics as I can.

Very cool, I am sure your efforts will help other owner's thinking of installing RB1 with antennae into their SRT-10 Vipers.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what I am trying to do to my 2008 (came with RAH single disk, changer controller). I have a uconnect and I am trying to add Sirius. My Verizon phone has more Nav features that most head units...Nav Traffic, Local searches...easily updatable (updates are available alll the time so no sticking disks to upgrade later. And it only keeps getting better) and I might know when someone is trying to call me...

If I have major problems I will just add the RB1 with the Uconect and Sirius.

Wife has the 6 disk and uses the Jawbone while driving in her convertible and I can actually hear her. I personally like the Jawbone's abilities but hated the way it fit.

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By factory hole, if you mean the mounting space available behind the dash cover. Then yes. (you just have to make or get 4 small 'L' brackets from home depot). BUT if you mean the hole that the face comes throgh in the plastic console/dash cover, then no. That has to be modified a bit for the face of the new unit to fit well.

Correct, they do not just drop in. But there is plug and play wiring harnesses and no cutting of the mounting location is needed. It drops in, but you do need to modify the plastic housing that sits over everything.

I wonder if we had enough interest, if I could get 'group buy' started on the head units AND custom fabrication of the plastic cover. The local shop is the one who did a guys on here, and the look is OEM looking. (I'm doing it regardless... but right now its probably too expensive for most people, as the custom work for the plastic piece is $1000 bucks, because they add plastic filler, and then recut the piece to exact dimensions of the new unit, and then professionally 'paint' the piece so there is no signs of it not being an original piece:

400d1186285480-pioneer-avic-navigation-system-installed-bydesign_avic-z2_1.jpg

401d1186285490-pioneer-avic-navigation-system-installed-bydesign_avic-z2_2.jpg

Jon

That is just embrassing...clean your interior before snapping photos...:lmao:

I have spoke to a local radio shop many time about doing the same thing...I just can't let them hack on the dash.

OP
OP
A

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know if the new NAV disc (AF) will work on an older RB1 unit? Someone at a Dodge dealer in Detroit said that it may not, but they said the wiring harness has changed as well, so I have to get an older one and just update the disc.

Anyone upgrade the disc in their older (Gen III) car with RB1?

OP
OP
A

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Jawbone is great for the Viper. A friend of mine showed me his, and I've used it cruising at 75 with the top off and he says it has "a little wind noise" but that he can hear me fine. I suggest it for anyone driving a vert as it is a great product.

As for the RB1, I'm not worried about all the hi-tech features of NAV (I have it in the DD - voice control, POIs, all kinds of stuff - and I don't use it). I just need to get from A-B relatively easy, so the RB1 should be just fine. I bought the iPod connector, so I'll have ALL of my cds with me, not just the 6 that will fit in my changer. And as for the "diminished" quality of mp3, well, at speed with the top down, I don't think anyone will really notice.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is just embrassing...clean your interior before snapping photos...:lmao:

I have spoke to a local radio shop many time about doing the same thing...I just can't let them hack on the dash.

lol. No my Car. Trust me, I would never be caught Dead with an Interior THAT clean. But the guy who owns the car is a local.

Its just a viper, I've had them long enough to realize, they are here to suit me, and I could care less if they 'hack' the dash, as long as that 'hack' job looks as OEM as this one does. Plus, those cheap plastic covers your so protective of, are like $300 at most and dodge even offers them in a veriety of colors (along with stock black), so you can get one and hack it and leave your stock one alone for reuse later on if you need to.

OH well, owned an rb1 for 1.5 years, and figured out it sucked .... those who havent, enjoy !!

Jon

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for the RB1, I'm not worried about all the hi-tech features of NAV (I have it in the DD - voice control, POIs, all kinds of stuff - and I don't use it). I just need to get from A-B relatively easy, so the RB1 should be just fine. I bought the iPod connector, so I'll have ALL of my cds with me, not just the 6 that will fit in my changer. And as for the "diminished" quality of mp3, well, at speed with the top down, I don't think anyone will really notice.

Exactly the setup I have and I love it! I added the carbon fiber look dash from Jon B. at partsrack and it looks great and looks factory. I also swapped out the door speakers for the direct drop in Polks others on the forum have added.

FYI, RB1 DOES have POIs, scan (artist, genre, etc.), play lists, shuffle, etc. and other features from the buttons and knobs on the screen on the RB1. What more do you really want? I guess it does not have bluetooth connectivity to the phone and voice dialing, but my phone and headset does that. I definitely would not want the single din, dash kit, fold-out screen flopping around in the cockpit. Btw, Motorola also makes a better noise-cancellation headset than the JawBone--smaller and better quality.

OP
OP
A

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, RB1 DOES have POIs, scan (artist, genre, etc.), play lists, shuffle, etc. and other features from the buttons and knobs on the screen on the RB1. What more do you really want?

Thanks! I'm about to order one now and then just get the updated NAV disc so I have the most current stuff.

vipertypesrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought you sold it?

I'll give you $400 for it.
xjrguy your a waste of time to deal with. if anyone else is interested i'll do 525 shipped, or if you are local I can do 500 picked up. includes the head unit, antenna, disc, and owners manual.

Last edited:

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
xjrguy your a waste of time to deal with. if anyone else is interested i'll do 525 shipped, or if you are local I can do 500 picked up. includes the head unit, antenna, disc, and owners manual.

Was that really necessary?

How did I waste your time?

I was interested in the unit, asked you to take pictures, and then replied that I wasn't interested anymore after you emailed me telling me you had another buyer and was I still going to purchase it.

It's not like that decision took a month's time. The unit didn't sell at your asking price and my publicized offer isn't too far off the mark considering the disc you are selling is not current and requires another $175 - $185 investment to make the NAV current. You neglect to mention that so I wonder what the intentions are here if someone wasn't in the know about the rev. code of the NAV disc.

Good luck with your sale. :rolleyes:

Should this be in the classifieds anyway?? :eater:

OP
OP
A

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone do this install with the iPod adapter themselves? I've got the unit on the way and already ordered the iPod adapter, but I'm curious as to where you mounted the box that comes with the adapter.

Any help would be appreciated.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The unit didn't sell at your asking price and my publicized offer isn't too far off the mark considering the disc you are selling is not current and requires another $175 - $185 investment to make the NAV current.

Yeah, 20% off sounds like not being too far off the mark.:rolleyes: NAV disks fall out of date all the time, and suprise, it doesnt stop the units from working, just means you wont have all the newest (usually obscure) roads that have been added since the last disk.:smirk:

In the end I know neither of you, but I honestly believe an RB1 in good/great condition is EASILY worth 500-525. And hell I hate Rb1s. But I sold mine for $600 used with one of those 'out dated disks'.

Leave the guy alone, he didnt want to sell it for your price, you dont have to troll him.

buzz off. I cant stand guys who low ball..

Jon

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone do this install with the iPod adapter themselves? I've got the unit on the way and already ordered the iPod adapter, but I'm curious as to where you mounted the box that comes with the adapter.

Any help would be appreciated.

I installed mine over the glove box. Others have placed it elsewhere behind the dash (lord knows where) but their certainly are posts where people gave details. Do a search.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960