Rear End howling

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've taken appart untouched differentials from the factory and found bearings not pressed on all the way, uncrushed or missing crush sleaves.....maybe your car was built on a friday ????

Either that or you wheel hopped it to death ;)

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just try backing up slowly--maybe that will take care of the howling cat stuck under there!

Just kidding! I hope you find a simple solution.

Abe Froman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the correct “Friction Modifier” (Dealer only item) needed for the replacement? Or is the modifier a generic item from autozone ??? Also, what is the Qty's needed for the replavement... 3 ,4 etc..qts

Last edited:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the correct “Friction Modifier” (Dealer only item) needed for the replacement? Or is the modifier a generic item from autozone ??? Also, what is the Qty's needed for the replavement... 3 ,4 etc..qts

What Dave said above... Also, many of the high-performance gear oils out there come with the friction modifier already in it, so you might not need to add any extra. Just check their specs to make sure. If you go with one that has no modifier in it, make sure you put the modifier in first :) Otherwise you'll have a full differential, and you'll grumble when you have to drain some out to make room for the modifier.

Abe Froman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the quick response… Adding the friction modifier
1st is excellent advice… What a great forum… Nuff-Said

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you have slack in the pinion to ring gear,and thats from hard acceleration or excessive spinning of rear tires- it doest take much to loosen up the stock gears- no oil or modifier will help you- forget about it and put a better rear gear in it and b done- or listen to the noise. it will make that noise till the cows come home.

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I've kinda been grinning and bearing it but the last two "long" trips I've taken have done it for me. The rear end in my car makes SOOOO much howling noise it's getting really annoying!! Is there something that can be done to silence this? (besides turning up the streo or wearing ear plugs)

I've owned a 2001 GTS with 2.55 gears and also a Brand new 2006 Viper Coupe. Both had rear end whine. The GTS whined at about 50mph with light throttle steady speed and the 2006 also wined, but at 60 mph but not nearly as loud but enough to notice on long trips with the windows closed. I always beleived it was just a characteristic of the rear end although I am not a mechanic.

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A GTS with 2.55's? Whoa! 140 mph in 2nd LOL.

And a 2006 that wines? Merlot or cab? Oh yeah, SRT's have cupholders :rolaugh:

LOL, actually one of my mods was the Aluminum trim ring for the cup holder!! I think MGW made it and it held my coffee mug just perfectly while I used the Snakeoyl cruise control and ipod integration kit. It was quite the luxury Viper!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinusbeats