Rear end removal??

evil00017

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I want to remove the rear end on my 2001 RT/10. Is it straight forward? Is there a write up for it? Can someone tell me if I can easily do it myself, or if I should get a pro to do it? I am not completely ******** mechanically. All I want to do is remove the whole pumpkin.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remove drive shaft and halfshafts (both at diff and wheel - take them out!). Can't remember if you have to yank the rear shocks to get the halfshafts out but if you do, it's a minor inconvenience. Probably have to remove the exhaust if you have rear exhaust. I have side exhaust on my '01 so when I did my diff the exhaust did not matter. There is a bolt on each end of the diff housing and 2 in the middle. Let it down on a floor jack, wiggling it out as you go. I did mine entirely by myself. When it goes back in be sure and use new straps on the u-joints and to Loctite the screws. You do not have to replace the screws, but the straps are one use only.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just another opinion, you do no have to touch the shocks, nor do you have to totally remove the half-shafts unless you have a twisted half-shaft, those come out real hard. It usually does not drop straight down, it has to be angled down and is best done with two people.

Remove drive shaft and halfshafts (both at diff and wheel - take them out!). Can't remember if you have to yank the rear shocks to get the halfshafts out but if you do, it's a minor inconvenience. Probably have to remove the exhaust if you have rear exhaust. I have side exhaust on my '01 so when I did my diff the exhaust did not matter. There is a bolt on each end of the diff housing and 2 in the middle. Let it down on a floor jack, wiggling it out as you go. I did mine entirely by myself. When it goes back in be sure and use new straps on the u-joints and to Loctite the screws. You do not have to replace the screws, but the straps are one use only.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just another opinion, you do no have to touch the shocks, nor do you have to totally remove the half-shafts unless you have a twisted half-shaft, those come out real hard. It usually does not drop straight down, it has to be angled down and is best done with two people.

I could not get it to move side to side enough without completely removing the halfshafts. I had zero issues manhandling it by myself with the assistance of a floor jack. Either way you go, it is not rocket science to get out and back in.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could not get it to move side to side enough without completely removing the halfshafts. I had zero issues manhandling it by myself with the assistance of a floor jack. Either way you go, it is not rocket science to get out and back in.

If you could not get it out without removing the half-shafts, probably, the half-shafts are slightly twisted and they would not entirely collapse. The problem with a partially twisted half-shaft is that the independent suspension is no longer fully functional. I paint a white line on the half-shafts, if you see any deviation at all, they are binding. In some case you will hear a metallic clunk when going around a corner. In summary, a good half-shaft should collapse enough so that it clears the diff stub shaft.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you could not get it out without removing the half-shafts, probably, the half-shafts are slightly twisted and they would not entirely collapse. The problem with a partially twisted half-shaft is that the independent suspension is no longer fully functional. I paint a white line on the half-shafts, if you see any deviation at all, they are binding. In some case you will hear a metallic clunk when going around a corner. In summary, a good half-shaft should collapse enough so that it clears the diff stub shaft.

Oh they are just fine in the compression aspect, I just decided that since I was working by myself I'd have a wide path to maneuver through. I'm guessing that's what one of the useful features of the other person is; handing the dangling parts? Whether or not it is "required," it does make it easier ;)

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave

I have a lift and found the diff is just easier with two, I do use the transmission jack on the trans. You have a good point, the half-shafts do get in the way when you try to angle the the diff to drop it.