Rear Exhaust on a Gen I

'93 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been considering putting a Gen II exhaust on my Gen I for quite a while. I finally picked up a Gen II exhaust and now have a few questions that hopefully someone can help with.

Will all Gen II rear bumpers fit a Gen I? I thought I have read before that the coupe rear bumpers were different.

There are two places where the rear muffler is hung. I think at least one maybe both of them will require a support bar that might not be on the Gen I. Is that correct?

Does anynoe have any pictures to show the mounting points of the rear portions of the exhaust? Anything after the point where the exhaust turns back into the center of the car would be helpful.

Thanks!

Craig

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe you can swap body panels with a Gen2 that wants to convert to side exhaust. I'm assuming Gen1&2 RT10 panels are interchangeable, but I'm not sure. Just an idea :2tu:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Side sills are an easy swap, rear bumper is more difficult. Might be easier just to cut a hole in your rear bumper rather than swapping.

OP
OP

'93 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe you can swap body panels with a Gen2 that wants to convert to side exhaust. I'm assuming Gen1&2 RT10 panels are interchangeable, but I'm not sure. Just an idea :2tu:

This is a very good idea and would be ideal.

Side sills are an easy swap, rear bumper is more difficult. Might be easier just to cut a hole in your rear bumper rather than swapping.

Hadn't thought of this either. Might be something to consider. Wonder if anyone would have approx dimensions for the location of the cutout?

Your battery may be a problem if it is under the trunk?

Skeeter

Mine is a later 93 and has the battery behind the back tire.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy a new rear bumper. Sell me your side sills for bottom dollar. Simple. Are they red???