Rear Speakers in a 97 GTS

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine's the same and I was curious, so I listened to several other cars with stock stereo. They all sounded the same so I concluded it was normal. Basically just a pretty worthless set of woofers I guess. Others have reported great improvement with a better set of speakers.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I read the specs with "Alpine and 200watt amp" I thought the system should be pretty good. My Bose system in the Vette was nice for a Factory System. But the Viper sound system flat out *****!

I just upgraded to Headers, Cats, Borla's....I think I will just have to disconnect the radio. The early Lambo's were this way also. The radio was useless.

Jerry

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Rear GTS speakers are in fact subs and do in fact stink.</FONT f>

MikeDGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, the stock system in the GTS isnt that bad. The rears are pretty useless, but the front components are decent speaker. I added an upgraded 50W X 4 channel McIntosh Amp, and they sound pretty **** good. I had 2 12" woofers, but that was a bit extreme for the small amount of airspace, plus looked as if it was going to shatter my glass hatch. However, with a decent amp upgrade and say a 10" woofer, utilizing the stock speakers, you would very impressed with the sound quality.

Prashant

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason F from Lake Charles came to Houston a couple weeks back and we had our local shop install the JL Audio Subs 6 1/2 in the same spot without cutting. add a nice 4 channel amp and its sounds GREAT.
just something for you guys that want to leave a Stock look.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gutted my whole system. The rear speakers are a feeble attempt at subs. I cant imagine the engineers at dodge honestly thought that a big tank filled with fluid is a good thing to put in front of a set of speakers. I just pulled them and put in a sub.

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems like a universal failure among all car manufacturers to spend immesurable sums of money on custom non-DIN sizing, multi-part amps, propritary connectors.... and then try to "save" money by installing the absolute cheapest possible 1 way paper speakers that are worse than anything you could find at Radio Shack.

Fortunately the Viper didn't have enough R&D money to go to crazy so it is not as bad as many cars. Just replace the rear speakers with 6 1/2" (not 6 1/2S or 6 3/4) 2 or 3 ways with fairly high sensitivity. Kenwood KFC-1687s are cheap, have 92db sensitivity and enough mounting hole positions to make a swap trivial. The front separates are "ok", nothing special, but at least they have separate tweeters and if you have an exhaust upgrade, you are going to have to install a VERY loud system, or just stay cheap. Don't worry about mounting depth, I fit fairly massive Orion HCCAs in front and back w/o problems - the LOUD route....
smile.gif

Todd