Rebuildable/ Salvage looking for viper

olason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I first want to say I am new to this site, and I like the way the forum is filled with all sorts of good information a lot like the tbssowners forum I read on now. I am currently a 2008 trailblazer ss owner looking for a sports car. My parents got me that vehicle as a graduation gift after helping my dad on the farm for several years, and not finding a construction job with much higher pay.

I was car shopping for sports cars on dealers around Fargo, North Dakota. Yes I live in one of the states that most people tend not to visit. I found that my 2008 trailblazer ss is still worth the 24k or so on trade in that we paid 10k miles ago and 1 year ago.

I got to looking into the rebuildable or salvage cars since my roommate at college does this on the buy, fix, and sell part. I was looking at X2builders, and XVIPERS.com for 2003 or newer SRT10 vipers.

XVIPERS according to this guy named Michael a few actual salvage ACRs for sale. Is 35k or so a good price. I called him and then he seemed to not return my emails, I have thought about calling again to get him to actually send pictures. XVIPERS is supposedly outside St. Louis a few hours and if I made this long journey I would want it to be worthwhile.

As for daily driver I would sell my trailblazer SS and use the money on the viper, I have an 1983 jeep CJ7 currently overhauling the motor to use as a daily driver, I also have a 1968 oldsmobile 442 that is rough but could soon be a daily driver as well.

I would have enough without selling my trailblazer to foot the 35k mark as I have worked very hard all through school helping my dad and he paid me so I would want to work all those unwanted hours. I realize that these can be expensive cars, but like the post that the new viper owner wasn't used to the "oh your rich" comments. I get that with my trailblazer which is funny since a sophomore at my high school drives a 2010 camaro lt (lil V6). I think that I would rebuild the car over the course of 1 to 3 years, and maybe sell my trailblazer when i get the right price for it. I don't have a job during the week at college but I might find one to help the funds as well.

Please input about XVIPERs, X2builders, or any other place as well as your thoughts with my dream plan to own a viper would be nice. if your going to say I am stupid please support your reasoning.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd be looking at a good condition Gen II car that doesn't need to be rebuilt. The Gen II cars are (in my opinion) at the bottom of their value curve and they are wild rides right out of the box. You could easily pick up a very good Gen II car for that kind of money and you could spend your time and cash doing mods to customize it to your objectives. As far as getting a salvage Gen III/IV car, unless you have another $30k to put into it to fix it up, don't count on it being a fun experience.

V

Venomiss

Sent you a PM with some ideas.

You can find most of what you are looking for with the search about all kinds of vendors including the ones you mentioned and others who have asked the same questions.

The biggest point I can make is in this economy it is a buyers market.
If someone can purchase a clean car without any history for almost the same as a salvage one which one would they choose?
Sure, you can might make money but can you do all the labor yourself?
How soon do you want your investment back?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am one of the biggest Viper enthusiasts you will ever meet. I also grew up on a family farm, and can relate to and respect the work ethic you have. I even had a 68 442, 'with' my dad, back in 68. So I can relate there as well. And I like to see people achieve their dreams. That said.....

I think you are probably making a mistake, on several levels, ranked by number of letters:

Safety;
Insurance;
Resale-worth;
Money-Pit wreck?
You dont have a 'job';
You are going to college;
ND climate allows 4-5 mo. driving;
'College Roommate' a partner in this plan?
You can have as much fun, Gen 1, for less mun.
If you wish to discuss or brainstorm further, I invite your call.
Oh, yeah: 'searching this site for VENDOR info' was mentioned. Do That.

Last edited:

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sent you a PM with my phone number. I build a lot of Vipers and am doing a few now. I do have one that I have not started yet.

OP
OP
O

olason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the messages, I will be doing some searching as it has been mentioned, and will talk to those who PM'ed me. thanks for your input.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I hate to sound like a parent here and would have to agree with Jon B on a number of points and maybe even take it one step further ...........

It's great to have a dream to own a Viper and I'm sure that some day you WILL. Now does not sound like the best time based on where you are in your life and your financials. Buying a wrecked Viper to rebuild will not only consume a great deal of money, but more importantly time. You stand to have a much greater return on your time and money investment by taking advantage of all that college offers.

Never give up on your dreams, set high goals, and work hard and work smart. Since I'm sounding like a parent .... Call them more often, dont go out in the rain without a raincoat, and dont run with scissors ;).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_