Recall results with pictures: Dublin Dodge

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have my car back after a laundry list of items I brought it in for, and I could scarcly be happier with how they treated me at Dublin. (thanks Keith and John!)

These snaps do NOT do justice to John's work. He is a perfectionist who does the job right no matter how long it takes.

I have no doubt but that the car is better now than it was before, and I appreciate Dodge doing this recall.

I would highly recommend Dublin for this recall, period.
They took care of all my picky needs and gave me back a car in better shape than when I left it. I got to come into the shop and check out everything he was doing--I even got to drive the car off the rack...I like that!

Have some photos:

fr1.jpg

fr2.jpg

fr3.jpg

fr4.jpg

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should give it around 3 days. I don't worry about leaving the car there. As Toddt says, Dublin Dodge's Keith and John will take care of it. If DC is listening, it's dealers like these that make me comfortable buying Dodge products again and again and again.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not getting on anybodys case here, and I know pictures aren't the best way to judge:
Todd in your first Pic: It dose not look like they welded on the backside of the New Cross Member to the Rack Bracket on your Frame? If you measure the amount of "New Weld", you should come up with at least 8" per side! Every contact point [all the way around] of the New Cross Member MUST BE WELDED!!

You should look at it again. If I'm wrong because of the Pic, "Sorry", but if I'm right at what I'm looking at, your Recall is NOT finished!
eek.gif

I have dun 16 so far.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viper Wizard:
I'm not getting on anybodys case here, and I know pictures aren't the best way to judge:
Todd in your first Pic: It dose not look like they welded on the backside of the New Cross Member to the Rack Bracket on your Frame? If you measure the amount of "New Weld", you should come up with at least 8" per side! Every contact point [all the way around] of the New Cross Member MUST BE WELDED!!

You should look at it again. If I'm wrong because of the Pic, "Sorry", but if I'm right at what I'm looking at, your Recall is NOT finished!
eek.gif

I have dun 16 so far.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Chuck, too bad your shop isn't closer. You think DC would pay to have my car shipped to your shop?
laugh.gif
A couple questions for ya:

1.I notice that they seem to like using rivets as well as welds. Why aren't they welding these brackets? Aren't properly done welds stronger then riveting?

2.Is it possible to obtain the necessary parts and specs for the recall in lieu of the dealer doing the work? I'd rather have a trusted welder perform the work even if I have to pay for the labor costs(no disrespect to dealers). I've seen two completed recall jobs done and I'm not real impressed with the weld qualities. </FONT f>

Hot Rod

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fortunate for me, Chuck's shop is close - only 30 miles across the border from CT. So, I went over to meet him this afternoon. Let me tell you, he knows Vipers. Took the time to put mine on the rack and explained every detail of the 999 recall that I need. My usual dealer her in CT never offered to check for cracks. Fortunately, mine shows no problems so I have a little piece of mind.

He's already booked till January but he'll probably squeze me in his schedule for October.

While we were BS'ing in the lot before I left, some pretty young thing in a Mustang convertible blew both her right side tires on a rock out-crop beside the road. Chuck, did you take care of her?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck: The Recall Instructions are available, but I have refinded my copy!
EXAMPLE: It dose not mention to remove the front tires [
mad.gif
SPARK-POP
eek.gif
].
It dose not mention to draining the cooling system so you can remove the lower Radiator Hose [it's three inchs from welding area! DUH] so you can reach in and do a proper weld on right side!
Call me and we can talk about how it should be dun.

Dave: Lets call it into "Roadside Assistance" ?
laugh.gif

1: Let me tell you about the revets: For Recall 998 we use, 34 1/4" Structural Steel Rivets. The rivet gun we use is: Air over Hydraulic! This sucker gose off at 3000 psi!! It's like hitting a hard ball!
It's STRONG!
2: Yes I can sell you the packages.
If you do it your self, I don't think you can get signed off on the repair from DC?!

Hot Rod: "Tator's Friendly Service"
[She liked my Viper
smile.gif
]

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&lt;&lt;Yes I can sell you the packages&gt;&gt;

Chuck-

How much are you selling them for?

P.S. Thanks a million for the GT2 recalled seat belts!!

OP
OP
T

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all--

Thanks for the replies--

Chuck: John, my tech just got off the phone. (he spotted your reply before I did--that's how much he cares) He wants to make sure he did this right...

He just called after rereading the recall 65 times.

I just want to make sure we're all on the same page...

There is no "New Steering Crossmember" in my recall.

I did not have any cracks in my steering member, so it wasn't replaced.

Here's a better photo of the section we are discussing.

Now, John's convinced that the recall said NOT to weld that segment if there was no new steering crossmember.

If he's wrong on that, he just wants someone to point it out, and he'll throw a weld there.

fr5.jpg

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clancy:
Help!
Bought a new 2000 ACR 10 days ago. No mention of a "999" recall from the dealership. I have heard rumors of some welds breaking but I have no specifics.

Larry

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry, the gussets weren't done from the factory until the 2001 model year, so your car needs to have a recall done.

We have some real solid Viper techs in So Cal. Try Dave Jenkins in Orange County, or Dan Cragin, or John Horton. You can get their numbers from the So Cal VCA website, or email me.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
toddt,

Please don't take this the wrong way, since I know it is obviously not your fault and you may not know anything about welding, but.....

The job done on your car is horrible, I would be screaming at the dealership and Dodge for the tremendously messy welds. My car too had the recall done on it, and believe me the welding on it is an 8 out of 10, yours is a 1.

Take your car back to the dealer and have them get a competent welder, if they don't call dodge and demand that the recall be performed again at a Dodge dealer or welding shop that has more experience with welding than a 1 day crash course.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've yet to get this done. When I do I want to go in with all the info I need. Chuck, did you get instructions from Dodge on how to do this and if so would it be possible to get a copy?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd,
Your Tech "John" is right! There is no mention in the Recall instruction of the welding I'm talking about? This is were a little common sence comes into play. This isn't the first Recall from DC that is not complete with their instruction! They have been doing this for years! Just weld every contact point of the reinforcement bracket that touchs the frame and rack brackets. The idea of the recall is stiffen the rack brackets. Tech/John: We are but a few that do this!! I got your message w/phone #, I'll give you a call on Monday and we can chew on this one and bad mouth DC!
laugh.gif
Todd your in good hands!
BURNOUT.gif

John,
The Recall kits are under a "Franklin".
Your welcome for the Belts!

Russ,
Are you a welder? If so, please post some pics of your work. Tech/John's welds look good to me and I've been welding for over thirty years! I'd hire him on the spot!

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My ACR is a 2001, does this mean my car is excluded from the
999 recall? Did it come from the factory with the gussets?

Thanks for all the great info Chuck and the belts too!

Thanks,

2Charmed

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Wizard,

Nope just someone that has been employing people for various welding work for years, and know enough to determine what is good and what is bad.

Don't go trying to change the subject, bottom line is the job needs to be redone. If it is not, one day in the far off future this shabby work may cause this cars value to be reduced or worse yet for the buyer to pass the car by all together.

OP
OP
T

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys--

Nah, my brother was a welder for a few years, and though there might be some bead-spray around the joints (that's what makes the snaps look worse than real life), the joints are solid, and really well done. The welds are every bit as good as the factory welds nearby, so perhaps I should get the whole car redone?
supergrin.gif

John, Keith, don't sweat it...I got your back baby...

When I get my shock you can throw a weld down on that gap Tator suggests...Then it will be tatorized.

Thanks all for the suggestions, and please remember there are real people involved here. If you want to flame the welds, do it privately to me...thanks!

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw John's welds on another car he had in progress couple weeks ago...The work was A-1.

I will be scheduling my 96RT into Dublin Dodge in the next couple weeks!

Tomer
PS Chuck Tator, thanks for taking the time to discuss this with John (Tech at Dublin Dodge), you ARE a class act!!