redlined bad now not running right

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plus you will need new manifold gaskets.
That means they have to remove the cold air intake manifold to get to the coils. I wondered about that, because the coils are right under there and I didn't think there was any way to get to them without removing it. Getting to some of the bolts on that thing takes some creative thinking.

Sounds like a pretty expensive fix for something most of us agree probably isn't the problem.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not all that hard to do and it didnt take me 4 hours to remove the intake and replace wires. It is a PIA but.... with a couple cold blue moons waiting in the fridge all wrenching gets easier in my book.

As to the intake gaskets, those are re-usable and don't need replacing unless you damage them somehow. I might be wrong but thats what I was told and did.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
reuseable....I like that word..

As far as the manifold and changeing the wires I would have tackled it myself or hired someone to do it for 150 bucks and had it done by now..

but if the problem is like we all suspect and bigger than the plugs/wires the dealership will NOT do warranty work until it has done this first..My code as read by the dealer was multiple misfires today...

Due to what the code is saying I saw no way to escape the plugs and wires...

Few years back I had a similar problem that ended up being a loose aftermarket arrow roller rocker on my srt10 viper..But before I ever figured out that it was the roller rocker I went and paid someone to change the spark plugs...total cost was about 60$

Well after changeing the plugs and seeing that the problem was still their I took the car to the dealer to have them find and fix the problem under warranty.

i told them that I had just changed the spark plugs...But guess what. They wouldnt even touch warranty work until I let THEM change the plugs and wires...

So i ate the spark plug bill twice..

So thats why Im almost forced into paying them this outrageous amount to the plugs and wires...

I can pay someone else. But if the problem isnt fixed and i need warranty work done Ill be paying twice for the plugs and wires. So better off just to let them do it...But Hey..Atleaste the yellow 1200 degree wires from Ab will slightly dress the engine bay a little. So not a total loss...

So far 300$ for the plugs /wires and larger looms...And looking like 500$ for the dealer install..

800$ should have been going towards a KN filter intake and BBK throttle body!

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i told them that I had just changed the spark plugs...But guess what. They wouldnt even touch warranty work until I let THEM change the plugs and wires...

If they choose to change the plugs and wires before beginning warranty work I think the warranty should be paying for them.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank God it is only a plug wire....we should be seeing high quality videos back on the forum by this weekend :rolaugh: :rolaugh:

Glad it wasn't something serious, good luck and be safe.

George

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-dropped the car off Monday...got a call tuesday..

Mr. GXXXXXXXXX.....Our mechanic says it looks like you may be correct and the wires appear to be in bad shape. We checked the books and it is a 4 hour job to change the wires...Plus you will need new manifold gaskets. It is 120$ per hour.

I gotta do what I gotta do..But I could have sworn it was 75$ an hour..At the most 90-100$...But now 120$....????? And 4 hours to change the wires...

Any of you true gear heads can confirm the 4 hour thing..I mean I think it would take me 4-5 hours..But not a mechanic

Questions:

Did they perform a leakdown test?

Did they perform a compression test?

Did they remove both valve covers and inspect the valvetrain?

Did they drop the oil pan and baffle and inspect the rods/bearings?

If so, what was the analysis on the above?

Thx.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do I begin?

it looks like you may be correct and the wires appear to be in bad shape. We checked the books and it is a 4 hour job to change the wires...Plus you will need new manifold gaskets. It is 120$ per hour.

You may be correct? They are regurgitating something you said to them, because they know you are thinking along these lines and will find this answer the most palatable.

may be correct? They don't KNOW what the problem is.

appear to be in bad shape? More hedging.

Manifold gaskets? Intake or exhaust? I remember you said the exhaust came loose. But you bolted her back up. Is it leaking? Do they know this? Or, as others have suggested, are they talking about the intake manifold? If so, why? Manifold gaskets can be reused, SOMETIMES, but if they are from 2002, meh, I doubt it.

Finally, it sounds like the dealer is a rip-off if they forced you to use their own spark plugs previously when you already changed them out. Worst case scenario, they do the work you ASK for, it turns out you were wrong and didn't gap the plugs or something, and you have to eat the bill after the fact. But a G up front each time you take the car in for "warranty" work is ridiculous.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I think it's time to close this thread or at least unsubscribe from it. Twister is going to do what Twister wants to do, no matter what is suggested to him. He asked for opinions and recommendations but has yet to do any of them so I say he's on his own. Good luck to him. I hope it's not too serious.

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I think it's time to close this thread or at least unsubscribe from it. Twister is going to do what Twister wants to do, no matter what is suggested to him. He asked for opinions and recommendations but has yet to do any of them so I say he's on his own. Good luck to him. I hope it's not too serious.
I agree! :2tu:
All this time and no definite answer yet.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I still say it's a cracked valve spring.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
reuseable....I like that word..

As far as the manifold and changeing the wires I would have tackled it myself or hired someone to do it for 150 bucks and had it done by now..

but if the problem is like we all suspect and bigger than the plugs/wires the dealership will NOT do warranty work until it has done this first..My code as read by the dealer was multiple misfires today...

Due to what the code is saying I saw no way to escape the plugs and wires...

Few years back I had a similar problem that ended up being a loose aftermarket arrow roller rocker on my srt10 viper..But before I ever figured out that it was the roller rocker I went and paid someone to change the spark plugs...total cost was about 60$

Well after changeing the plugs and seeing that the problem was still their I took the car to the dealer to have them find and fix the problem under warranty.

So thats why Im almost forced into paying them this outrageous amount to the plugs and wires...

I can pay someone else. But if the problem isnt fixed and i need warranty work done Ill be paying twice for the plugs and wires. So better off just to let them do it...But Hey..Atleaste the yellow 1200 degree wires from Ab will slightly dress the engine bay a little. So not a total loss...

So far 300$ for the plugs /wires and larger looms...And looking like 500$ for the dealer install..

800$ should have been going towards a KN filter intake and BBK throttle body!
if the dealer is insisting on changing ur brand new plugs and wires just to make sure they make a few bucks, i would call dodge and report that. i would also ask dodge if any other place is authorized or can be authorized to do warranty work.
just a thought. id be really pissed if they were reaching in my pocket like that.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The code is multiple misfires....Multiple misfires is 90% of the time because of bad spark/wire connection...

So my backs against the wall on this one..

Im sure they are just talking out of there a$$ and havent preformed any leak down test or removed the valve covers ect..

They will not spend any amount of time doing those things until after they see if the plugs and wires eliminate the problem..

It's not that Im not listening to you guys....I have to do what I have to do to ensure that if it is a bigger problem that it will be covered under warranty...

800$ for plugs and wires *****...But multiple THOUSANDS for internal damage is what Im really getting ready for..takeing these BS steps with the dealer is what will allow me to just pay my 100$ deductable and have them **** up the 2K..3K...4K...ect if it is internal...

One thing that concerns me is the Arrow roller rockers (harland Sharps I think)...I am really sweating those. Years ago when a few of them became loose the dealership gave me HELL about covering them under warranty...

But hears the kicker...When the car was brand new she had a bad crank failure that was common on the early gen3's...The engine was sent to arrow raceing under the dealerships bill....while this warranty work was being done to rebuild the engine arrow raceing suggested the roller rockers for another 10 HP...The origional owner checked with his dodge dealership to see if his warranty ect would still be honered. They said it was good to go under the build by arrow raceing..

So like I said those roller rockers gave me hell..Eventually the dealership saw in fact that dodge had autherized arrow raceing at one point to do such things. But they still put up a 2 month fight..

I had purchased stock roller rockers from viper specialty so I wouldnt run into the problem again. unfortunetly I never installed them and sold them and kept Arrow roller rockers in..

Im just really hopeing that those rockers have nothing to do with the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

cause I could be screwed or at a minimum fighting the dealership for some time...Typically from what Ive seen with dodge is that dealership A could care less about what dealership B told you was covered under warranty.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just think it's odd that well before you took the car in, you called it on them insisting on replacing these specific parts. It's either like you are really Steven-Hawking-smart, or they know you are Lindsay-Lohan-dumb. I'm not saying I have an opinion on that, just weird how this is one big self-fulfilling prophecy for you.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK copmagnet....i bring my car to you and the code is multiple misfires..what would you suggest?

Plugs and wires are not covered under warranty. But I have no choice. They were gonna make me do it..trust me..

I talked to them again 15 minutes ago and they said if the intake gaskets are reuseable they wont charge me...140$ for both gaskets though..jeeze..

They are also gonna conduct a leak down ect test once the plugs are out.So we will know pretty soon..Im dreading that phone call LOL...

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothings covered under warranty when YOU over rev your motor because YOU can't drive.

Amazing

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK copmagnet....i bring my car to you and the code is multiple misfires..what would you suggest?

Focus: You've been given much advice about what should be checked. You were also given the phone number of Chuck Tator (914-763-3136). I find it incredibly funny that you're excited about reusing used gaskets to save $140 but you won't pick up the phone to call the man himself for...get ready for this...you ready?....FREE EXPERIENCED ViperTech ADVICE that could possibly save you more time and headaches down the immediate road. But then again...what would we know? Also pray that your dealer does not decide to search this or other boards you've been posting on regarding your 'driving' experiences. I wouldn't be worried about plug wires voiding your warranty.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Face it ViperTony...... some people just don't get it.:rolleyes:

Focus: You've been given much advice about what should be checked. You were also given the phone number of Chuck Tator (914-763-3136). I find it incredibly funny that you're excited about reusing used gaskets to save $140 but you won't pick up the phone to call the man himself for...get ready for this...you ready?....FREE EXPERIENCED ViperTech ADVICE that could possibly save you more time and headaches down the immediate road. But then again...what would we know? Also pray that your dealer does not decide to search this or other boards you've been posting on regarding your 'driving' experiences. I wouldn't be worried about plug wires voiding your warranty.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good luck Twister. I've been following this thread with interest. Either way you can't go wrong with Chuck Tator, great guy and he usually has a good answer or can definately point you in the right direction

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive talked with the viperwizard several times. he recently just helped me out with somthing as well...great guy..

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not read all the posts. What was the consensus on the shifter dancing around violently in sixth gear. I doubt that has anything to do with wires or plugs. It could be a cracked transmission and/or engine mount. As for a multiple misfire code, it can also be from too much or too little fuel.

Also, if your exhaust was loose, I strongly recommend that you learn to inspect your car visually, soundwise, ad "feel" wise before you use it. You should know what the normal sounds and "feel" of your car are so that you can tell when something is abnormal. To drive a car in a spirited manner without this klnowledge is dangerous to you and anyone around you on the road.

Good luck with the dealer. It sounds like they do not have a clue what is wrong but I hope that you luck out.

I was out doing some acelleration runs the other night and redlined VERY ******* my last 2-3 shift...

The car then sounded quite funny and seemed to be down a bit on power (maybe 50 horses)

i got the codes P0302 wich a member explained to me was the sparkplug ect. number 2

i also got the code p0320 wich a member explained to me was the crank sensor signal not found...

Thanks KALA

So the advice was to reset the code. useing my sct tuiner I reset the code and restarted the vehicle and drove the next moring..

the car started again running rough and the check engine light came back on. This time their was no crank senor signal code but their was still the sparkplug #2 code..And the passenger side exhaust had excessive smoke.

I parked the car and realized that my drivers side titanium exhaust was very loose. i removed the side sill and saw that my drivers side exhaust had come completely undone and was simply rattling around in the side sill.

I bolted it back on good and tight and put the side sill back on..

let the car idle a bit and noticed she still seemed to be running rough..

i took off spark plus wire number 2 and reinserted it onto the spark plug. I restarted the car and the check engine light was on for a few seconds and then went away.

I scanned again with the sct and no codes were found. I then went on a 6 mile cruise and while no codes were illuminated through the check engine light their still seemed to be a slight "miss" coming from the passenger side exhaust. As well the car still seemed to be down a lil on power (hard to say as I loaded back in the stock tune while doing all this trouble shooting and it is noticebly weaker than the Dan lesser SCT tune)

But one thing that I did notice for sure is that when I put the car in 6th gear the shifter dances around violently and the car seems as if it will rattle apart..1-2-3-4-5 all seem fine...

im thinking I just need to replace the plugs and wires. but any other suggestions?

of course you would know while I was out trouble shooting I ran across a silver lamborguini gallardo with the plates "UWLDLOSE"

under the circustances Im sure his plates were right...LOL

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking transmission mount when I first read the post but forgot about it when the and check engine were discussed. I'm curious if that's a separate issue or related?????

Twister,
Any word from the dealer? I would think they had the wires/plugs changed by now. They're Viper tech can't be that busy.

Keep us posted.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did just read this entire thread. I have come to the following conclusions.

--> Danno is dead and we should all be in mourning.

--> I want to be a rent a cop too so that I can afford to spend what appears to be ridiculous amounts having ripoff artists work on my car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang