redlined bad now not running right

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
never mind..i went ahead and did it and they are very reuseable..

I learned after 2 hours of wrenching that their seems to be no possible way to get the valve covers off without removeing the windshield wipers ect.

So I was only able to inspect the drivers side and I saw no broken peices. The passenger side was just to much work and I gave up and put her all back together....

Interestingly on my gen2 I remember takeing no more than 4 hours to remove the valve covers and install roller rockers and put the valve covers back on. I dont remember there being this much hassle. Perhaps this is why rollerrockers are popular on gen1 and 2's but not gen3's...

Windshield cowling takes about 3 mimutes to remove. Yet you spent 2 hours 'wrenching' to remove 2 valve covers is beyond me.
Did you ever pull the plugs to inspect and replace .....NO... Yet you bought new wires thinking that will fix the problem. Quit posting on here waiting for us to jump on with your answers. Either do what was reccomended or leave it the **** alone, quit driving it and bring it to a mechanic, even a bad one would be able to change plugs and do a compression test.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Windshield cowling takes about 3 mimutes to remove. Yet you spent 2 hours 'wrenching' to remove 2 valve covers is beyond me.
Did you ever pull the plugs to inspect and replace .....NO... Yet you bought new wires thinking that will fix the problem. Quit posting on here waiting for us to jump on with your answers. Either do what was reccomended or leave it the **** alone, quit driving it and bring it to a mechanic, even a bad one would be able to change plugs and do a compression test.

Lot of attitude in your post. if you have a problem then just move on. I never asked for your negative attitude or lack of reading skills.

Yes I did remove the plugs inspect and replace...I have already pisted on my findings.

3 minutes to remove the window cowling. It didnt look that simple to me. I know it can only be so simple because the last time the dealership did it they didnt put it back on properly and the windshield wipers damaged my hood....

Again black moon please just dont post here..It's that simple. Id rather no help at all then someone with a bad attitude. You are truly no help to me.

Thank You:)

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well since he just posted another street racing video on VA of the car getting smashed by a civic, I would conclude the car seems to be running fine, or at least how it usually runs LMAO.

Cue Tornado coming on here and acting like it wasn't him racing 3....2.....1.........

That guys name in LILGOOKIEMONSTER...His car looks like mine but he is obviously an asian guy and obviously not raceing in hawaii..My cars been sitting in the driveway for weeks now.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He already zipped her back up.
Took the valve covers off to "look around" without any plan to actually make a diagnostic inquiry of any kind.
But he doesn't have time to run to the Autozone and rent a compression meter.
He's waiting for the wire looms. That will solve everything.

PS, the dealer is stupid and can't be trusted to do thoughtful or rational work. And there are no trustworthy independent mechanics on Hawaii.

Look man..Im no mechanic but atleaste Ive been trying. The dealership WILL charge me $700 to change the spark plugs and wires before they even begin to look for other possibilities of why the engine isnt running right.

It's not the first time Ive had a problem. last time a roller rocker had come loose. This was 3 years ago. But the dealership still went through the hole plugs and wires deal that isnt covered under warranty of course but still they insisted they have to do before moveing forward.

Well this time if Im gonna be forced into replaceing the plugs and wires then Im gonna atleaste upgrade...Ive been waiting on the looms now since monday. I already have the wires but I want everything before I take it to the dealer...

I could have taken the car a week ago and it would probally be done...As well they would have charged me the $700 for the plugs and wires that are exactly like the ones I already have.

I wanted a lil somthing differant for my money...

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do yourself a huge favor and find a damn good performance car shop.

Screw the dealer unless its warranty stuff....
too much Q&A and paperwork BS and they are keeping records to blow your warranty especially the way you brag

or

build a working relationship with a damn good Dodge Tech or

maybe a Certified Viper Tech and pay him on the side.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you considered doing a compression test?
OK, now that's funny.

Do yourself a huge favor and find a damn good performance car shop.
Twister, there's all kinds of high end exotics in Honolulu. You know all those rich .com guys running around sucking up the Kanaka's lands so guys like me and you can't afford da Aina no more. (Ok, niether of us are kanaka and we both own land there, but you get the idea). There's gotta be shops right there in Honolulu that work on those High end monsters. Hell, even some ricer guys probably know a thing or two about engines. How about that place in Kaneohe you said was pretty good?

3 minutes to remove the window cowling. It didnt look that simple to me. I know it can only be so simple because the last time the dealership did it they didnt put it back on properly and the windshield wipers damaged my hood....
He's right, very easy to do. Remove the wipers, just something like seven or eight screws and it's off. Don't forget the ones on the ends that are in the door jam. Comes off in two pieces, but the whether stripping will keep it together. Hard to imagine the wipers damaging the hood. They must have really screwed that up somehow. Taking those off and putting on is not rocket science either.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are hundreds of places that could do a compression test - why take it to the dealer for that? Just do the compression test already and get ready for what will be coming next. Good luck regardless...

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
did you know that in 1996 a gts viper with it's 11.9 at 120 mph quarter mile time was the fastest regular production vehicle in the world?

Thats a true statement and thats what I mean when I say production car...Not a one off or unstreetable or not for sale in the US ect. just a regular production car that anyone can go buy from the dealer.

And where did you get that information from? Just curious..

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is not taking it to the dealer for a compression test! He is taking it for a wire and plug change, because last time he had a problem they changed that before moving forward on resolving internal issues. So he assumes they will again change the wire and plugs first.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still say it's not a production car since it is hand assembled and not mass produced but who cares. Whatever Danger says goes. It's his story.

I hope he knows that new wires and plugs will probably not solve his problem unless the plugs he 'inspected' had a bad one.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still say it's not a production car since it is hand assembled and not mass produced but who cares. Whatever Danger says goes. It's his story.

I hope he knows that new wires and plugs will probably not solve his problem unless the plugs he 'inspected' had a bad one.

You stay out of this, you very very bad person you.:rolaugh:

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I mean as in regular production car. I know she's my hand assembled 80K baby. But she is a regular production car for sale to the general public that is streetable....And as far as that goes she is the current KING of the hill.

did you know that in 1996 a gts viper with it's 11.9 at 120 mph quarter mile time was the fastest regular production vehicle in the world?

Thats a true statement and thats what I mean when I say production car...Not a one off or unstreetable or not for sale in the US ect. just a regular production car that anyone can go buy from the dealer.

If you want to get technical (and I do) the Viper is and has always been, a LIMITED PRODUCTION CAR!!! which is a little bit different from a mass produced non-hand built normal production car. And yes there is a HELL OF A BIG DIFFERENCE!!

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the problem is the #1 wire. These are all the symptoms of a bad wire.

Seriously. Your first concern is the dealership. THEY ARE RIPPING YOU OFF! I sure hope the coffee is good.

If there is another dealership in your area, try them - they can't be as bad as the one you've been using.

Greg

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well..being that i am on a 40 mile island Im actually pretty limited. I took my nsx to one of these performace shops...next thing you know I had an $800 bill for what amounted to 3 hours of work...

Found a private mechanic for the nsx as well....Car caught on fire while he had it...Also took the nsx to a well known shop....After they did the clutch and timeing belt I needed a new engine...

So I think Ill stick with the dealer..

as to the 1996 gts viper veing the fastest production car in the world at the time..yes I read this in a major publication. I will try to find it...That article is actually what made me fall in love with vipers

Dr. Dirt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may know the publication you are looking for. In the February 1997 issue, Mopar Muscle had a cover story proclaiming the new GTS as the fastest Mopar ever (12.07@120). Musclecar Review had the initial test in their December 1996/January 1997 issue, same results, it dethroned the Cobra's thirty-two year reign as the fastest musclecar ever. It's the article that made me fall in love with Vipers, too. I'm not making any arguements one way or the other as to the validity of those test results, though.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
as to the 1996 gts viper veing the fastest production car in the world at the time..yes I read this in a major publication. I will try to find it...That article is actually what made me fall in love with vipers

Never read that one before.... you sure it was not:

“The Viper GTS isn’t just the quickest American car now in production; it’s the quickest purely American production car”. – Motor Trend Magazine (February 1997)

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tweester tweester tweester!

why ju no get compreshun test mang? To many peeples tell ju same theen to many times! Ees too seempul. insted ju by wyres for to bring to deeler? They jus treek you for to pay more munnys! Doan do it mang. I telling you, ees a hambush mang! Ees a HAMBUSH!

Jeem ;)

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In regards to the GTS viper being the fastest regular production car In THE WORLD in 1996....I read it and I had it on file but my computer got a virus and I lost everything...

There was specualtion that the whatchamacallit supercar from 1991-1998 was the fastest car...

And at 600HP it was faster. but their were only 100 units ever made and they were not genuinely available to the public for sale...

Darn whats the name of that car.....

Anyways the artical went on that the GTS was the fastest car in 1996 that just anyone who had the money could go to the dealership and buy...

The GTS ran several 11.x'a at 118-121 mph back in 1996 in differant publications...That is blistering fast back in 1996

The key word is regular production...While to me a Viper is every bit of a rare exotic costing 84-114K with a one of a kind v10 and hand assembled..It is still just a regurlar production vehicle anyone can go buy. Thier are atleaste 300 for sale..

The article I was reading made all that stuff very important.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

why ju no get compreshun test mang? To many peeples tell ju same theen to many times! Ees too seempul. insted ju by wyres for to bring to deeler? They jus treek you for to pay more munnys! Doan do it mang. I telling you, ees a hambush mang! Ees a HAMBUSH!

Jeem ;)

Here it is one in the morning, and I was just brushing my teeth ready to go to bed, and now I sit here cleaning up toothpaste. I made it through the whole post with a grin, but I held all the toothpaste in, but I frigging lost it on Jeem.:lmao:

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here it is one in the morning, and I was just brushing my teeth ready to go to bed, and now I sit here cleaning up toothpaste. I made it through the whole post with a grin, but I held all the toothpaste in, but I frigging lost it on Jeem.:lmao:

You read the VCA forums while brushing your teeth? That's bordering on obsession.

:omg:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jeem ;)

:rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The GTS ran several 11.x'a at 118-121 mph back in 1996 in differant publications...That is blistering fast back in 1996

I have read all the major publications and have never seen the 96 GTS run in the 11's. Not that I am not saying you did not read it, but I have research this and never came across that. Here is Motor Trend and Car and Driver stats on the 1996 Viper GTS:

Motor Trend (May 1997)

Top Speed 187.3 mph
Wet Surface Maximum Lateral G 0.78 g
0-60 MPH Acceleration 4.0 sec
Quarter Mile Acceleration 12.2 sec/119.3 mph
Dry-Surface Maximum Lateral G 1.01 g
600-Foot Slalom 73.6 mph
0-100-0 MPH 13.9 sec
One-Mile Acceleration 30.6 sec/169.4 mph
60-0 MPH Breaking 129 ft

Car and Driver (December 1996)

Top Speed 177 mph
0-60 MPH Acceleration 4.0 sec
Quarter Mile Acceleration 12.3 sec/115 mph
0-100 MPH 11.0 sec
0-120 MPH 13.3 sec
Braking 70 – 0 mph, feet 172
300 foot skidpad, g 0.96g
Willow Springs track lap time 1:33.8

One additional real life reference:

Chris Green (October 2007)
Texas Mile (10mph headwind), 166.9 mph
Modifications:
Borla Exhaust, 3:55 gears, K&N FIPK

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread went off the rails faster than an Alley thread. Kudos to all involved.

PS- a compression test would take less time than flipping through your Popular Mechanics collection looking for a 14 year old article. Just sayin'.

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:eater:
Still no diagnosis on what the problem is?:sadpace:
C'mon already!
:hitwithrock::kabong:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member