Review: Mr. Clean Autodry Car Washing System

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those of you who watch Speedvision will probably have seen advertisements for the new "Mr. Clean Autodry" car washing system. Basically, it is a system which uses allegedly "special" detergent, plus a spray nozzle with a water filter. The concept is that, by removing minerals from the rinse water, you can let the car air-dry and no water spots will form. I was really interested in this because I feel that a substantial part of the scratch/swirl mark damage that occurs comes from drying, either with a water blade or a more conventional method. So, my friend Achilles99 ('00 RT/10) and I each ordered one of these and tried it for the first time yesterday.
First, the great thing is that the system actually does work. We washed my Viper and his BMW and let both air dry -- I can't find a single water spot on my car. Excellent!
Second, we suspect there is some sort of coating or other kind of residue from the soap. My car is unbelievably shiny -- so much so that there has got to be some kind of coating or something left on the car. I don't know whether this is harmful to the car at all, but it looks really nice.
Third, we noticed that our wash mitts got EXTREMELY dirty washing both cars -- more than I have ever seen. In addition, it was impossible to fully clean them in between washing sections of the car. This leads us to believe that the soap is doing something to cause the dirt to stain the wash mitts or otherwise making the dirt stick to the mitt. This causes us some concern, as it may promote scratch/swirl marks to wash the car with a dirty mitt.
Finally, I don't think the time savings is that great. Sure, you don't have to dry the car, but you DO have to meticulously spray it with deionized water. The filter does not flow very rapidly, so you have to be quite patient rinsing the car. It doesn't take more time than hand-drying, but doesn't save that much time, either.
The bottom line is that I plan to continue using it for further evalulation, but I really like it. It is supposed to be in stores starting this spring; meantime, you can order it online.

LotsaHP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ChrisGTS, thanks for the review. Actually I think the Mr. Clean kit may already be out at the stores. I seen a couple at Kroger's the other night. I looked at them, but I didn't figure they would work like they claim to. After reading your review though, I may have to go pick one up.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll add to what ChrisGTS said...

The system definitely performed better than expected. The mitts being dirtier than normal is of concern... especially in light of the fact that the soap that you spray on isn't extremely lathery. However, I think that constantly rinsing the mitts help.

Although the time savings isn't tremendous, I'd have to say that if the system allows me to skip drying with a shammy and waterblade, it's a success. I really do think that most of my swirl marks come from hand drying my car...

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also tried my Mr Clean and had the same problem with my wash mitt. I've tried various techniques washing 3 cars. I always seem to end up with a dirty mitt I'm afraid to wipe on the car.

Next time I'm not going to use the Mr Clean gizmo for the washing part. I'll put the Mr Clean soap in a bucket. When I wash my car with Meguiar's, that technique has always helped float the dirt off the mitt.

All in all, the Mr Clean does perform as advertised.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, that's a thought, although part of the draw of the Mr. Clean system was to skip the wash bucket step.

Let us know how the bucket affects the dirt on the mitt... if the mitt stays just as dirty using the soap/bucket, then I suspect something is different about the soap they include with the system.

So far, I'm happy with the product. Just have to make sure that we rinse the mitt more often...

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does the soap strip the wax???

I don't think it does... at least that's what the manual says. I also called P&G and talked to one of their reps. They said that it does not strip wax... I even asked if the soap added any wax. She said no. Personally, I think it does... judging from how much the car shines.

I Zaino my car, of course, and so does ChrisGTS. We've come to the conclusion that if the soap does take off the wax (or Zaino, in our case), as long as it puts something back on we would never know. Frankly, if it puts wax back on, I'm fine with that. Zaino is a pain to apply :)

The true test will come when it rains tonight. Chris and I will report back and let everyone know whether or not the rain "beads" up. It better... or someone is going to be slapped with a lawsuit for false representation...

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you guys are really into this you may want to post on the corvetteforum "car care" section as there are some people that have this stuff (wax and water tensions etc) down to a science over there. You know, those C5 waxers. LOL

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Stiffler will chime in here. I saw his car (It is always sweet) after he washed it at home with a water softener/filter installed at his house. The car was much glossier than normal.

The water softener/filter will make a big difference by itself. There may not be any additional film or finish on the car from this Mr. Clean product.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a water softener used for washing boats that is about as big as a small vaccuum and you hook it up between your hose and spigot.

But...don't they run on salt? I have real problems with washing my car with salt water.

Anyone have any input on this?

OP
OP
C

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are no water spots on the windows. The replacement filters cost $5 and they are supposed to last 10 washes, the soap refill is also about $5, and I find that I don't use it up very quickly. Several people on other forums have tried different soaps and reported success with it, but I have not tried that. The packaging claims that the sheeting-off action of the Mr. Clean soap is important to having the car dry spot-free. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Windows are spot free for me, too. I was worried about filters and soap, too. However, they aren't bad at all. The filter they sell separately is MUCH better than the one included in the kit. It lasts 10+ washes compared to 3+ times (depending on your water... I'll probably get 15-20 washes out of my new filter, since I got 6+ washes out of the included one). Soap comes in big refills, too. Both filter and soap refills cost me $10 at Wal-mart, so it'll cost me between 50-60 cents per wash.

My roommate uses the Mr. Clean water, and his own soap. Works fine for him, and he drives a black Supra.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a deionized water filter at their house? I would like to get a system so I use DI water when I wash/rinse the car without a toy like this. Any information would be helpful.

BigGar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been doing high end Automotive Detailing for almost 20 years. I have been using deionized water for all but the first 6 months. Trust me, it works. I have a de-ionization system at my house that I fill the water tank in my truck with. I also use it to wash my own stuff of course. For home use, I would highly recommend the Mr.Clean system. If you want to use your own soap and bucket, fine, but the difference bewteen doing your final rinse with your tap water or the Mr.Clean de-I water is night and day. Some tap water is better than others, but where I live in SoCal it is terrible. Letting hard water dry on your car can require serious polishing to remove the spots, sometimes even colorsanding is required to get things perfect again. If you want to have a full de-ionization system at your home, you can call U.S. Filter or look in the Yellow Pages for an industrial water supplier in your area. It's a little pricey, but not too bad. I spend $200+ a month on it, depending on how much I use, but I clean cars every day. It costs me $30 a month per setup to have at my house (I keep two, so when I run out I have a backup set to put in line and then the newly delivered set becomes the backup). Each setup costs $70 and is good for somewhere between 1200-1500 gallons of water, depending on the quality of the water going in, which varies from city to city. I have a couple of clients with large car collections who have the system in their detailing area. They like doing some of their own carwashing. For the guy who needs de-I once a week, I think the Mr.Clean fits the bill perfectly.

Gar

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't you just buy several gallons of de-ionization water at the store? Seems a final rinse would only require a few gallons. This might be the cheapest way, if you don't want to dry the car. I guess you could just pour it over the roof, windshield, top of doors, etc... It would probably sheet all the tap water off the car and dry spot free. Or you could pressurize and spray the de-ionization water.

BigGar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy distilled water for about $1 a gallon at the store. Same effect as de-I but a lot more expensive (and you still have to figure out a way to squirt it. De-I water is simply de-mineralized whereas distilled water is de-everythinged :D

Gar

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you want to buy distilled water for 50 cents a gallon? It would cost you more than a dollar to rinse your car, and it wouldn't work as well (or as cheap) as using the Mr. Clean system...

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True, but many 50% of the people I've seen post that have the Mr. Clean system say it doesn't work. The other 50% seem to love it.

Personally, I already have my favorite wash technique and products (car wash soap). Therefore, I really only need the final rinse step. Maybe I will give it a try, and if it doesn't work I'll just return the product.

On my way to Walmart with the other white trash.... :headbang:

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the way to go... try it and see for yourself. I have a feeling that the people who tried it either had a crappy filter, or the water is too mineralized for the Mr. Clean product to work effectively...