Roe S/C & Stage III Heads & Cam combo! Help Mr. Macedo!

Snake Eyes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98'GTS and with the exception of A complete Bellanger system, Smooth tubes & K&N's it's stock. I have 15K burning a hole in my pocket the mods I'm purchasing are listed below, My question is am I missing anything in terms of re-enforcement. I don't want to install all of this and find out that there was something I should have done and as a result broke something :shocked: :

ALREADY HAVE:
Bellanger 1 3/4 Headers
Bellanger Free flow cats
Bellanger Cat back
Tubes & Filters

GOING TO HAVE:
Roe S/C w/8lb pully
Larger injectors
fuel pump voltage booster
70mm Throttle bodies
1.7 Roller Rockers
stage III Head cam combo (Loaded with all the goodies)
Heavy duty half shafts
Steel brake lines w/ slotted rotors & new (EBC) pads
Kumhos

Also has anyone ever had the Roe ported to match 2.02?

Finally What kind of estimated RWHP would this produce?

I am a mechanic by trade and do all my own work. So yes this can be done for 15K. The Head/Cam are used. :cool:

Thanks in advance!

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Roe S/C & Stage III Heads & Cam combo! Help!

I hope you have something other than stock braking.
If so, you are way over-powered and under-braked.

OP
OP
S

Snake Eyes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bump! Ah, the sound of crickets churping ;) .

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I may ask, how much horsepower do you expect to gain with all those mods?

OP
OP
S

Snake Eyes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's the kind of input I was hunting for, Thank you. How much more of a difference are your stoptechs compared to what I was looking at? Just wondering, I haven't actually spoken to anyone with them on.

Thanks

OP
OP
S

Snake Eyes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

750 RWHP, hello again. Fishtail, thanks for jumpin' in. :smirk:

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would definitely install some new better stopping brakes. Also, there is a good chance you will have to install a new fuel system(new pump, lines, etc). If you ever decide to run more boost you will definitely have to install a new fuel system. I am assuming that you are installing new lifters and rods.

I have a similiar setup to you and have achieved 714RWHP/730RWTQ and there is still a little more power with the current setup when Roe comes out with the ability to advance the timing. If I was at the point where you are I would investigate heavily into a cam that is optimized for Blower or Nitrous applications. Cams are not that expensive and you could acheive your goal with the right cam package. Do your cam homework and it will pay off with big dividends.

As far as HP is concerned, I would expect you to gain between 185-200RWHP at 8lbs of boost. Just take that number and add it to your expected Heads/Cam package and that should be your total HP. BTW, veeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrry importanttttttttttttttt, you need to find out the cc's of the domes of your head. My guess is that they have been shaved! You will need to decrease your compression from stock cc's which is between 69-72 cc. Mine are 79cc. This will allow you to run more boost and not detonate. You will not have as much HP to begin with but you will have the possiblity to run more boost/timing and consequently make more overall power. With shaved heads and running your car at sea level you will probably detonate heavily at 7-8lbs of boost unless you run race gas all the time. You may be able to run 5lbs of boost and be okay but who wants to do that when you will be able to run 12-14lbs of boost in the near future!

If you have any more questions please email me and I will give you my phone number. Also, Larry Macedo is an awesome resource as well as Sean Roe and Vipermed(Scott).They might even be able to suggest a good cam.

OP
OP
S

Snake Eyes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Utah,

Yeah I would certainly be interested in your ideas over the phone if possible, here are the specs of the heads I was looking at dunno if they're fit for the application but the $ is, which isn't a huge deal but the most important thing for me is the sensible thing. I do not want to mismatch parts and waste $.

65 cc Combustion Chambers
2.02 in. Stainless Steel Intake Valves
1.60 in. Stainless Steel Exhaust Valves
Titanium Retainers
Extreme Duty Valve Springs
3-Angle Valve Job
Upgraded Bronze Valve Guides
Complete Assembly

P.S - I was considering more boost whenever Sean is done with the intercooler, so thanks for the heads up on the Fuel pump.

OP
OP
S

Snake Eyes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Utah,

Also, why do you think I would detonate heavily at 7-8lbs at sea-level with shaved heads?

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You are probably running 10:1 compression or maybe slightly higher and a SC or Turbo's as they increase boost they also increase the pressure inside your cylinder. This is like increasing your compression. The more boost you run the higher the total compression. I know there is a formula but I don't know what it is. If your running 8lbs of boost with 10:1 compression you probably will have an equivalent 13:1 or higher compression. Your motor will not take that unless you are running race gas (110-118 octane). Most of the tuners running turbo's or SC with 8lbs or more of boost will decrease the compression from stock(9.6:1). Ask Levin, Heffner, H M S,SVSi,DC performance, etc.

If you buy those heads you will either have to run 5 lbs of boost and decreased the timing and you will "probably" be safe or dome out the heads to 75-80cc and run high boost.

email me your number and I will call you [email protected]

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Snakeyeyes

Todd(Utah)is giving you sound advise.Unless you lower your compression or run race fuel all of the time your motor is eventually going to let you down.What is good for a N/A car is not always good for a S.C.Ideal compression to allow great boost is 8.5--9:1 you can make up for the power loss in your timming and fuel programming.Remember bigger is not always better.Todd is a very good information source on this as he has experience all of this step by step to his current level of perfection even at his rediculous elevation.Take your time on your decisions on your car as these are modifications you want to do once only

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have you talked to Larry yet? Where are you getting the heads? I'm going to sending my car to Larry shortly to get a cam, 8 lb pulley, new Walbro fuel pump, port matching, dyno tuning, etc. I'm keeping the BTR heads, which were shaved just enough to true them up. I think Larry has done 8 lb with a head/cam, a 8 lb with just heads/stock cam, and a 7 lb with stock heads/stock cam. They all seem to be running fine with 2 of the 3 here in Florida at sea level. larry has alot of work, but hopefully he can start mine soon :laugh:

proracer1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake Eyes....If you are going to do cyl heads the ONLY ones to get are Jeff Morys....61 RWHP.....You also should beef up your bottom end ie: RODS-PISTONS..I did almost exactly what you want to do to your engine. I added Oliver rods and JE blower pistons. Jeff Morys Cyl heads. I already had TD 1.7 and 70 mm t bodies. I made a true 680 RWHP 698RWTQ on pump gas suckin hot air thru the rads. Larry is the man to tune your car since you are a mechanic by trade. Also I don't think the Walbro pump is NOT enought fuel. When we ran the engine on the dyno at Arrow Racing they run a walboro 255 pump and we ran out of fuel around 4700 rpm. I run two bosch 400gph pumps in sequence. Run a # 8 feed line and an # 6 return line. We use the factory pump to keep the plastic can in the tank full. We have the regulator set at 62 lbs and it doesn't move at WOT and 8lbs of boost. Send me a PM if you want to talk more on this subject.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apologies for the delay, I've been swamped over here and it's all I can do to answer the phones and work on cars. If indeed those cylinder heads (Anthony 98 GTS) are 65cc chambers, you'll need to install thicker heads gaskets to utilize them. Your better off having your cylinder heads upgraded for your application whereas the heads your looking to purchase would better suit a normally aspirated Viper. Contact me if you'd like to discuss cylinder heads and or other options, Snake Eyes.

OP
OP
S

Snake Eyes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Huge thanks goes to Utah and Vipermed - Roe S/C & Stage III Heads

As we all know hind sight is 20/20 and that’s the approach I like to take with everything. With that being said a huge thanks goes out to Utah, Vipermed, and all those that post their invaluable knowledge, experiences and educated opinions. As some of you read yesterday I have been torn on deciding what to do with my $ so I decided to start a thread and pick everyone’s brains for some ideas. Man, did you guys help me sort out a lot of stuff, particularly Utah and Vipermed (who were nice enough to talk with me privately over the phone). So after all of the deliberation and talk I have decided to forgo on the heads (Larry that’s pretty scary when you could look at specs like that and know who they belong to, Yes they are Anthony’s heads. Sorry Anthony I want them but I can’t risk it), due to warranty issues. So I have to settle for the just the blower (LOL, I know poor me) and a plethora of other effective performance mods. Perhaps someday when I grow a pair, I’ll slap a Head/Cam package on too but now’s not the time. Anyhow I’ll stop rambling and give you guys a glimpse of what I am ordering & hope to achieve :D . Thanks again Scott ;) :

Engine pic1
Engine Pic2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine