Rough Idle and Possible Exhaust Leak

scottmcc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello All

Day three of paradise....Having never owned a viper or even heard one idle before I purchased this, I have nothing to compare to. My Viper Idles a little rough around 500 RPM.. Is this normal? What should it idle at? Also i can hear what sounds like an exhaust leak on the passenger side just behind the front tire. Is this a common problem?

Ps.. Some Dick head on a harley was egging me on to race him..I ignored him for two lights but every light he kept reving that loud obnoxious engine in my ear and I said F this.. so I took off quick and could feel the back end swing to the right so I feathered off the throttle and hit second, same thing.. and then shut her down realizing this monster takes more than three days of driving to get used to this GOD LIKE power. The Harley then flew by me and at the next light he looked at me like he just won the INDY 500.. I smiled knowing full well I was not even pushing this beast probably past 50% of its ability..

1997 RT/10

Last edited:

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idle is around 700 rpm, I think. Options: re-set PCM, check plugs/wires, have someone else listen to it.....

Definitely be careful until you get used to it. Keep it in straight line if you're gonna "get on it".

OK, I'll ask, how old are your tires? :D

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't assume it's really a rough idle. Remember, this is a massive 10 cyl engine. At idle it pops and shakes the car. That is perfectly normal. Ever listen to race cars idle? That's basicly what you've got.

Most motorcycles have a really loud exaust note compared to any street car. If he gives you a rev he probably just wanted to hear your engine. Give him a rev back. It's all in good fun.

Imho, shifting to 2nd is the most dangerous time in the Viper. You expect the torque in 1st but 2nd suprises you. Be ready for it to step out like that so you can compensate.

btw, you gotta get use to that kind of thing, it happens all the time. Worst is when some knucklehead in a mini van pulls up beside you and guns his engine. lol

runin1320

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had my 2000 GTS a week now and thought the very same thing. Mine seemed to be noisy and idle rougher than what I expected. I put on a new serpentine belt and changed the spark plugs and it has helped quite a bit. I still notice the exhaust leak noise also. I figured that I would just listen to some other Vipers and put my mind at ease.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your car is kicking out to the right then most likely you need new tires. Don't find out the hard way or ignore the signs like I did. (I'm on Viper number 2)

As far as your cars idle it is probably just the motor.