RT/10 vs. GTS visibility

inVision

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do the RT and GTS compare in terms of visibillity? Being too tall is not a concern, being too short is (5'6").

Thanks!

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the R/T is a little better, just because you have the rear window right behind your head. My 2 cents

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a booster seat and the top off, you should have a full 360 degree arc of vision in the RT/10 ;)

Personally I feel the RT/10 has good visibility, esp. compared to standard convertibles with the top up, e.g., s2000, z3, etc.

OP
OP
I

inVision

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question, but how long did it take you to get used to this poor visibility to the point where you could safely drive the car at higher speeds? I don't mean being able to slingshot the car around with one arm while changing your CD! I think it always takes time to get used to the "viewing angles" in any car, do you ever get used to it in a GTS or RT/10?

Thanks!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just have to be conscious of the blind spots. You have to duck your head a bit to see around the rear view mirror (they should have attached it to the dash instead of the windshield, probably some stupid government regulation wouldn't let them do it).

Make sure the side mirrors are pointed to the blind spots and not to the same spot the rear view mirror is pointed to.

My toughest viewing is backing out of the driveway. I can never see the broads walking their dogs on the sidewalk.

If you're a defensive driver you'll be fine.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question, but how long did it take you to get used to this poor visibility to the point where you could safely drive the car at higher speeds? I don't mean being able to slingshot the car around with one arm while changing your CD! I think it always takes time to get used to the "viewing angles" in any car, do you ever get used to it in a GTS or RT/10?

Thanks!

I really haven't had any problems with the blinds spots on the side. It does help if you lean forward a little before changing lanes just to make sure there is not a little car next to you.

Now the rear view mirror every once in a while still with almost 20,000 miles on it, will completely block a car as I am turing left. And once in a while I will be looking out the front windshield and see a car comming across and it is really behind me and I caught a glimps of it in my rear view mirror.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm putting on the Nomex as I write this....
If you like driving fast and nimble cars, you'll love the Viper and can get used to the visibilty issues fairly quickly. IMO, you will likely never stretch out and be totally at ease driving this car in most every day situations. It is just too quick in all respects to let your attention wander at any time. Vipers are regularly compared to Corvettes. Corvettes are great touring cars, especially for long distances...Vipers can wear you out on some of these types of trips...if it wasn't for the continual fun and thrills, let alone the attention the car brings. Yup, visability isn't as good as my wife's Mercedes, but it's better than the 1993 Honda Prelude she had lots of years ago. But the Viper (and I've owned both the R/T and the GTS), is a handfull and it's the most fun you'll ever have sitting down.

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll be seen in both. :)

Wife is 5'6" and drives the Viper in variety of conditions. She does not have any problems with visibility. In heavy traffic you do need to crane your neck some in a GTS to cover the right hand blind spot caused by the sail pillar.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog