Sad day in my viper pit

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You never think it will/can happen to you...last weekend the motor in my 2000 gts went south
frown.gif
My dad was with me (visiting from Texas) and we were about 80 miles from my home. Stopped to park the car and noticed a very rough idle and low oil pressure. Shut it down and looked under the hood and didn't see anything obviously staring at me. Fired it up again and same thing, rough idle, though now.....zero oil pressure! I have to get it flatbedded home for a healthy fee and then get it trucked to the dealer first thing Monday morning. From what the vipertech told me it appears that a piece of balance metal from the crank came loose and broke an oil passage. The crate arrived yesterday for them to take my motor out and ship it to Arrow for eval for rebuild/replacement. My tech said he felt it would get replaced so im hoping for a nice strong new motor soon!

Has anyone else ever had this problem or heard of it? I know that I have never heard of this happening so im going to assume it was just a freak accident.

Brian(V10 dreamin)

GTSREDDOG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the mishap... Hope the new motor is better...stronger...and faster....just like the six million dollar man!!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Denham:
..........I have to get it flatbedded home for a healthy fee and then get it trucked to the dealer first thing Monday morning. From what the vipertech told me it appears that a piece of balance metal from the crank came loose and broke an oil passage. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know of one similiar case..........nothing an owner or dealer can do can prevent this RARE event.

Also.......your OEM warranty card has a 24-hr number which MAY reimburse you for at lease a portion of the emergency flatbed cost. Call it. have your vin # handy.

OP
OP
B

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, I tried that number at the time of the problem. They said that normally they only tow to the nearest dealer, but as it was late Saturday evening and they were closed that I could get it taken home. But because I was so far away that was not an option. I was not about to leave it sitting outside at a dealer lot I was not familiar with! Luckily I have towing covered on my insurance so I was able to get most of it covered thru them
smile.gif

Jerry, you and me both brother! Hopefully it will be back in time for me to break it in before Hot Springs! I dont want to have to be in the rear of the pack at 60mph
frown.gif
I'll keep you posted on it's progress.